Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 2012 Audio Player Poll Suggestions (Read 38957 times) previous topic - next topic

2012 Audio Player Poll Suggestions

Reply #25
maybe add JPLAY?

I wonder how many people will choose this...

Reply #26
There's always room for nitpickery over whether e.g. Squeezebox Controller is a computer running Linux, or just a remote control for the server on your computer. Or whether iDevices are computers. I have no idea whether the troublesome solutions have enough users around here for this to be any issue.

With squeezebox you can play music on the serving computer as well.  One reason to is it's easy to remote control with a web interface.  Maybe "there's an app for that"?

Maybe a different poll would be best for cloud players (Google music etc).  I'm starting to get into being able to say to my tab, "Listen to Leo Kottke," and it starts playing.

Reply #27
I agree on the “maybe”. I am not sure what would be best for 2012, but sooner or later the distinction between cloud/local would very likely be way more interesting than grouping by OS.

Reply #28
How can everyone forget Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and Zoom Player?!

Reply #29
sooner or later the distinction between cloud/local would very likely be way more interesting
I dunno about the rest of the world, but mobile data plans are still far too expensive in Canada for me to even start considering this. I could use $30 worth of bandwidth playing music at V2 in a day.

Reply #30
Penultimate revision for the Unix list. If you want to add/change anything at this point, tell me what you think should be replaced, not just what should be added. I'm happy with the list as it stands...

Unix (Linux / Mac / BSD / whatever)
------
iTunes
VLC
Amarok
Rhythmbox
deadbeef
Clementine
Songbird
mpd (and clients)
mplayer (and forks)
Other

As the Windows list hasn't changed, and I'm especially content with it, I'm going to put that one up now.

Reply #31
with such generalization i would then change

from;
mpd (and clients)
mplayer (and forks)

to;
command line players (specify in the thread)
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #33
Why have you removed Audacious ? Did I miss anything ?
I'm trying to maximize the number of people selecting options that are not "Other". I don't perceive Audacious to be a very highly-used player.

Reply #34
with such generalization i would then change

from;
mpd (and clients)
mplayer (and forks)

to;
command line players (specify in the thread)

I disagree. First of all, mpd is not a commandline player- it is a daemon that can be controlled by multiple frontends be it graphical or not. I can even control it from my Android device.

Also, although mplayer is commandline based, there are multiple GUI frontends for it. There is even one included in the mplayer source tree called GMPlayer (gtk+ based). It is build if you pass the "--enable-gui" switch when running "./configure".

The separation between backend and frontend is a common design pattern in the Unix/Linux world.

Reply #35
Penultimate revision for the Unix list. If you want to add/change anything at this point, tell me what you think should be replaced, not just what should be added. I'm happy with the list as it stands...

Another popular choice is xmms2 plus client.

Reply #36
mpd is not a commandline player- it is a daemon that can be controlled by multiple frontends be it graphical or not.

That was already explained 3 times before in this thread and i happily corrected myself, also there are other non-daemons, like moc (Lets cover more ground), so whats your point?

The separation between backend and frontend is a common design pattern in the Unix/Linux world.

I always thought everything is just quickly hacked together, thanks for that wisdom.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #37
mpd is not a commandline player- it is a daemon that can be controlled by multiple frontends be it graphical or not.

That was already explained 3 times before in this thread and i happily corrected myself, also there are other non-daemons, like moc (Lets cover more ground), so whats your point?

My point is that mpd should not be lumped into "command line players (specify in the thread)" like you suggested. Mpd only exposes an API for client programming. By itself mpd is useless without a client. If you are interested, here is a list.

Reply #38
My point is that mpd should not be lumped into "command line players (specify in the thread)"
[...]
By itself mpd is useless without a client.

But the suggestion is to take mpd OUT of the list, and CLI players IN. As far as I see, you just provided a worthy argument for the first part of this.

Reply #40
But the suggestion is to take mpd OUT of the list, and CLI players IN. As far as I see, you just provided a worthy argument for the first part of this.

Actually, I favour a modified version of Canar's original choice item- "mpd (and clients)". Something like:

[blockquote]mpd (and clients, please specify clients in the thread)[/blockquote]

Personally, I use multiple clients for different purposes. A GUI frontend for regular playing, a commandline frontend for scripting and an Android frontend for remote control.

Reply #41
I saw the windows poll posted.. any eta on the unix one?

I don't use windows so I've been waiting for the unix poll.

Reply #42
Aimp3 here, winamp as a fallback,  I use flac for my own encodes(storage) and vorbis for my mobile needs.....

not a fan of the foobar2k, never has suited me well, i use dbpoweramp to rip+encode tho

Reply #43
An important miss for me here is MusicBee

Reply #45
IMHO MediaMonkey isn't a Winamp derivate anymore. Maybe it was in the beginning (1.x) but since 3.x it's clearly a separate standalone player which has nothing to to with winamp - except that it still supports plugings from it AFAIK.

Reply #46
Since Banshee is the default player on the most popular *nix distribution these days (not counting mac) surely that should be included? Also +1 for Google Play, new but I'd be curious if anyone uses it yet

Reply #47
Unix poll is up. Closing this thread.