Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Raw 192/24 files from laptop to headphones. USB DAC needed? (Read 1958 times) previous topic - next topic

Raw 192/24 files from laptop to headphones. USB DAC needed?

Hi!
I'm currently playing 192/24 audio files using my laptop hooked up to a Denon receiver via HDMI. I use Foobar and the Wasapi output mode. The receiver plays the 192/24 files just fine--both stereo and multichannel.

I'd love to hear those 192/24 files with my headphones, too. Do I need a USB DAC --such as Mojo-- to hear those files at their full 192/24 resolution? As far as I know, Foobar bypasses Windows sound settings and sends out the pure audio signal. Is the USB DAC really needed for the Digital-to-Analog conversion? 

Thanks!

Re: Raw 192/24 files from laptop to headphones. USB DAC needed?

Reply #1
It's a receiver. What outputs does it have? Loudspeaker, but no headphones?

And, you probably know that there is no way to hear full 192/24 resolution anyway (the DACs accept it as input format, but that is something else). Sure you want to play your files, though.

Reply #2
Are you sure  the Denon isn't resampling?   AVRs are capable of decoding all kinds of lossy and lossless formats so it can probably re-sample to match the hardware limitations.

As far as I know, Foobar bypasses Windows sound settings and sends out the pure audio signal. Is the USB DAC really needed for the Digital-to-Analog conversion?
By default the standard Windows drivers will automatically make any necessary conversions so any cheap soundcard (including USB soundcards) can play 24/196 files. 

I'm NOT a foobar2000 expert so someone else will have to help,  but I believe you can use ASIO drivers, or WASAPI drivers in "exclusive mode" to prevent resampling. 

Most "DACs" don't come with ASIO drivers but you can use ASIO4ALL.    ASIO support is fairly common with professional audio interfaces, which of course include an ADC & DAC. 

Reply #3
Thanks!

I don't think the receiver is resampling the files as it's supposedly able to bitstream 192/24 files.

I do not want to plug the headphones into the receiver. I'd like to plug them right into the laptop, that's why I was wondering if I really need the USB DAC to hear the files at their full 192/24 resolution.

Reply #4
I'd like to plug them right into the laptop, that's why I was wondering if I really need the USB DAC to hear the files at their full 192/24 resolution.

Does the laptop support 192k/24 bit output?  If not, then yes you will need to add an external device if you want to do that.

Reply #5
Open the Win audio panel and check the sample rates supported by the headphone out.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com