Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp 5.25 beta preview (Read 62264 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #50
Winamp 5.25 Beta, build 843

Winamp 5.25 Beta Full
Winamp 5.25 Beta Pro (asks for key during install)
Winamp 5.25 Beta Standard (same as Full but no ML or viz)
Winamp 5.25 Beta Lite

* Fixed: floating point audio decoding
* Fixed: unicode titles for streams (build 834-specific bug)
* Fixed: [in_mp3] icecast utf-8 stream title support
* Fixed: [in_mp3] lame vbr header reading (build 834-specific bug)
* Fixed: [ml_local] crash when deleting files (via watcher) before ml has loaded
* Improved: bumped up gain of spectral analyzer
* Improved: [in_mp4] better sample duration calculation when the decoder is outputting at a different samplerate than specified in the MP4 data
* Improved: [pmp_usb] metadata reading in background, general touch-ups
* Improved: [in_mp3] faster preparation during burning, transcoder support
* New: [in_mp3] replaygain support for MP3 playback (enable in Prefs > Playback)
* New: [ml_rg] replaygain scanner (beta only, for now - access via Send To menu)
* Updated: [enc_lame] LAME 3.97b3

ReplayGain Analysis for ogg, aac/m4a will be in ml_rg in the next beta/final.

See the Notes/Known Issues for further info.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #51
The Winamp Transcoder version 2.0 (12th August 2006) is pretty stable with this latest beta  .
WavPack 5.6.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #52
And it is the first build that allows converting MP3 files into other formats.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #53
ReplayGain scanner currently doesn't work with Ogg Vorbis files.

Best Winamp release so far, looking forward for final.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #55
AFAIK Winamp doesn't support APEv2 tags at all. And since it lets you add the replayGain value with only IDv1 tags in place...

that leaves the lame tags?

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #57
But shouldn't Winamp add a IDv2 tag when applying the RG value? I have quite a lot of MP3s with just an IDv1 ta in place. For these files the RG value isn't added at all?

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #58
But shouldn't Winamp add a IDv2 tag when applying the RG value? I have quite a lot of MP3s with just an IDv1 ta in place. For these files the RG value isn't added at all?

Winamp will add an ID3v2 tag, but it will only contain the TXXX/replaygain_* entries.  The metadata stuff will 'fall back' on the ID3v1 tag if the information is not contained in ID3v2.  If you have ID3v2 writing disabled, it  won't write the replaygain info.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #59

The change only affected in_mp3 as you can see.

What kind of ReplayGain information is used? ID3v2 tag? APEv2 tag? LAME tag?

ID3v2

Forgive me if I'm incorrect, I'm new to this ReplayGain stuff.

Doesn't it make more sense to at least _read_ the Lame RG-values? As far as I know all modern Lame encoders store the value anyhow and given the popularity of Lame in the near future most MP3's will have this RG-values already stored inside.

Couldn't you use a routine where Winamp uses the Lame RG-values if there are no RG-values in ID3v2 or maybe even copy them to the ID3v2 field. That way you use info that's already there and don't have to scan probably the majority of a users MP3 files again.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #60
How about replaygain for wma files??
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #61
Would someone with a Winamp forum account please post my previous post in their development thread?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?s=...threadid=251985

The Winamp forum won't let me post, one is only allowed to post, pm or e-mail once one is fully registered. Since the registration is broken I can not let anyone know because you have to be registered to let them know registration is broken etc. etc.
I can not post anything although I can login, oddly enough.
I can not register with a new account because the forum will say the e-mail address is already used.
I can not reactivate my account because the forum says the url is invalid (an url the forum itself gives me either through e-mail or the website itself).
I can not use any link in e-mails the forum sends me because they are either said to be over 24 hours old (which they're not) or used too recently.
I can not use the account but I can change the password for it. Hurray 
Aaargh, this is driving me mad, I've been trying to get a simple account for over a week now. I feel like I'm in  a Kafka novel.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #62
I think that there is no need to post it there since benski is monitoring this thread as well.

Winamp will add an ID3v2 tag, but it will only contain the TXXX/replaygain_* entries. The metadata stuff will 'fall back' on the ID3v1 tag if the information is not contained in ID3v2. If you have ID3v2 writing disabled, it won't write the replaygain info.

Hmm. What happens with an IDv1 tagged file with only the TXXX/replaygain_* entry in the IDv2 tag if you add the IDv2 song metadata. Will the TXXX/replaygain_* entry continue to exist?

And will it continue to exist, if the song metadata (artist...) is removed (the IDv2 checkbox unchecked in the file info)?

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #63
No. As the RG info is stored in ID3v2, if you remove the ID3v2 tag then you also remove the RG info. Next build will show the (uneditable) Track & Album Gain values under the ID3v2 section of the File Info box.

Also, the TXXX/replaygain_* entry won't be overwritten when copying from ID3v1 to v2 (if RG was previously applied but there was no other metadata in the ID3v2 tag).

@Maurits

I could be wrong here, but I think it's only lame.exe which auto adds RG to the lame header, not lame_enc.dll, which is fine if you're using the commandline version (or EAC), but Winamp (and most other software/rippers) use lame_enc. Though I do kinda agree that it would be nice to read RG info from the Lame header if it exists, heh.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #64
Winamp 5.25 Beta, build 857

Winamp 5.25 Beta Full
Winamp 5.25 Beta Lite

* Fixed: crash when aacPlusDecoder.w5s isn't present
* Fixed: Sonic Engine install under Win98SE/ME
* Fixed: ReplayGain preamp resets to -6.0 dB (b843-specific)
* Fixed: [in_mp3] %bitrate% & time display in pledit for mp3 streams (5.25-specific)
* Fixed: ReplayGain info not being saved for files with id3v1 tags only (b843-specific)
* Fixed: [in_wm] freeze on seek with right keyboard cursor (5.25-specific)
* Fixed: [ml_disc] auto add ripped files to mldb (5.25-specific)
* Fixed: [ml_rg] crash on unsupported formats (b843-specific)
* Fixed: [ml_rg] Abort button now working (b843-specific)
* Improved: fixes for video plugin detection
* Improved: [in_mp3] minor id3v2.4 tag reading fixes
* Improved: [in_mod] 24bit/surround/stereo options moved to Prefs > Playback
* Improved: [in_mp3] increased streaming info box size
* New: aac/m4a/ogg replaygain support
* New: [in_mp3] aac/mp3 replaygain in alt+3 dialog box
* New: [ml_pmp] auto-transcoding for incompatible formats
* New: [ml_playlists] added 'playlist entry' and 'read extended info' to menus
* Updated: Sonic Burning/Ripping Library (requires reboot)

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #65
Thank you very much. Winamp is again my default audio player 

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #66
Just tested replaygain scanner speed in build 857 on one mp3 album. It reaches about 35x realtime while foobar2000 scans at 90x.

Nonetheless very nice to see full replaygain support in a "mainstream" app like Winamp! (I think replaygains "fault" that keeps it from reaching greater publicity is it's complexity - most people don't get the concept at first glance - sorry for beeing off-topic here...)

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #67
Nonetheless very nice to see full replaygain support in a "mainstream" app like Winamp!

Do you really think Winamp is mainstream? Ok the player is very popular, but I guess many  Winamp users are advanced users, because Winamp is very flexible, you have tons of options.

I would say mainstream is WMP, RealPlayer etc, players with less options and and a simple GUI.

Winamp's ReplayGain just works fine, the new RG info in the tag editor is very useful. RG infos for Ogg Vorbis files are written in the vorbis comment field, finally I don't have to use vorbisgain.exe anymore.

Winamp 5.25 beta preview

Reply #68
Winamp 5.25 Beta, build 868

Winamp 5.25 Beta Full
Winamp 5.25 Beta Lite

Changes between b857 and b868

* New: [ml_pmp] automatically sync your ml playlists with your portable device
* New: Core Media Library Components subcategory in the installer options
* Improved: [in_mp3] faster mp3 replay gain scanning
* Improved: Filenames now shown for Gen & ML plugins in Prefs
* Fixed: [ml_playlists] non-english filenames fix
* Fixed: [ml_disc] CD view right-click menu options
* Fixed: [ml_pmp] various fixes based on crash reports
* Fixed: [in_mp3] "Size: x bytes" data missing in File Info box
* Fixed: [in_mp4] msvcp71.dll dependency
* Fixed: a few reported typos in prefs
* Fixed: duplicate media library entries bug (unfortunately your old duplicate entries will still exist)

more info

(note the separately available in_vorbis.dll which fixes replaygain scan for .ogg files)