Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why is opus only good at 64/kbs (Read 40744 times) previous topic - next topic

Why is opus only good at 64/kbs

Reply #50
About Blade MP3, I downloaded it to test greynol's bullshit assertion. Surprise, surprise. Not only does it NOT retain higher frequencies than AAC, the degradation of the formants was so obvious on the spectrograph that I could predict immediately the horrible flanging that would result if I hit the play button... and out the defects came. As obvious on the ears as it was on the eyes.

I see my point was completely missed.  I guess this happens when all you want to do is be an ip-shifting internet troll.

For those who haven't seen it and would like to be amused (please don't talk about it here though, m'kay?!?):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/225356/lossy-audi...s-update-on-p-7

Reply #51
How can they compare audio files by images which were compressed with jpeg, I don't understand. This is a transcode.

Reply #52
Part of me would like to enumerate all the ways in which I’m bothered by that thread and the absurd abuses of logic committed by the OP and his co-thinkers, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to put myself or anyone else through that. Suffice it to say that it makes me even more keen to find a way off this planet. I agree with greynol that we shouldn’t discuss it, both because it’s not worth it and because we’ve had enough OT and troll-baiting around here in the last week or so without heaping more on top.

Reply #53
Woo. I could feel the hairs growing on the palms of my hands as I read the thread.  It did make me wonder about something:

I understand that one of Opus' design aims is that it is a very low latency format, optimised for interactive applications such as VOIP. This implies optimisation for applications involving voice (speech). Does anyone know of a low latency interactive application that would require optimisation for other content such as music?

I realise it's not specifically an Opus question, so if it's likely to involve more than a short answer feel free to ask me to start another thread. I just thought I'd ask while the people most likely to know the answer were "in the room"...
Regards,
   Don Hills
"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

Reply #54
Nero produces much lower quality at lower samplerates with the SAME bitrate. Yes, tell the devs to fix that ****

Nobody works on Nero AAC encoder anymore since quite a long time ago

Yeah, Apple's audio gear sucks as much dick as their H.264 implementation that ended up being worse quality than MPEG-*******-2 ...

It depends of bitrate. A high quality MPEG-2 encoders like HC, Carbon Coder and particularly CCE SP3 will do an excelent job at high rates (Blu Ray, 720-1080p 20 Mbits and more). Of course, Apple H.264 encoder isn't near as good as x264 but none of those MPEG-2's would compete with it, let's say, at 3 Mbps 720p.

I'm not one of Apple followers (and actually more into Samsung devices  )  but, clearly, they have damn good AAC coder. As of Nero, I wish it was any good as other AAC encoders because it was (maybe still is for some people) actually a "free AAC coder for folks". As of HE-AAC(v1/v2) encoders, imo Fraunhofer is the best one.

Or you can silence this post too...

Everything is in contrary.
It's all about speaking up loudly, freely and civilized manner.

Reply #55
I understand that one of Opus' design aims is that it is a very low latency format, optimised for interactive applications such as VOIP. This implies optimisation for applications involving voice (speech). Does anyone know of a low latency interactive application that would require optimisation for other content such as music?

Internet Jam Sessions (or more broadly Networked Music Performance) plus speech chat with background music and/or simultaneous music sharing or tuition and other non-speech audio including remote fault diagnosis where transparent non-speech sound can be helpful. Also wireless headphone links (esp when synchronised with images, demanding low latency). For more suggestions, see Wikipedia's Opus (audio format) article, which now includes numerous citations for such applications.

At CELT rates rather than SILK, Opus is also less prone to false voice effects caused by background noise - e.g. sometimes when Skyping to collaborate on some work, while not actively chatting it will pick up creaks and clunks and shuffling paper and make them sound like voices (reminds me of EVP machines!)
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #56
Thank you for the explanation. I've noticed similar sound effects when using the VOIP audioconferencing systems at the office.
Regards,
   Don Hills
"People hear what they see." - Doris Day