Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: RadioParadise in Flac! (Read 6429 times) previous topic - next topic

RadioParadise in Flac!

Hello, the wonderful RadioParadise began broadcasting in flac.
Link
To listen to it you have to use the IOS app or use a plugin for LMP, it sounds fantastic.
The bad thing is that it does not allow to play from a link like the other stations. You need a plugin, can you study it? It would be very good if it could be reproduced in Foobar.
Regard

Daniel

Re: RadioParadise in Flac!

Reply #1
What's the point?

Reply #2
Sorry for my bad English.
The point is to have a complement that allows to listen to RadioParadise FLAC in Foobar.
LMP (Squeezebox) has a plugin that allows to listen to it.
Maybe it can also be done with Foobar..
Regards

Daniel

Reply #3
Also don't see the point.
Would be cool if Radio Paradise supported Opus though.

Reply #5
I've already pulled off 7.1 Surround Sound streaming with both FLAC & OGG VORBIS using IceCast to do it.  Who are these idiots kidding?  Nobody needed any special apps and Chrome on a cheap & old Android phone was fully capable of playing it properly (downmixing and everything for stereo headphones & mono phone speaker listeners).  Worked well in both mobile and desktops versions of foobar2000.  FLAC streaming has been supported for some time in Chrome for the last year.

A few browsers and media players didn't like it though.

My question is what is the point if I need to download a special app just to do it instead of trying a browser or media player first to see if it works?

Bandwidth is expensive and I was doing this over a private home network and the server wasn't even connected to internet.  With things like Net Neutrality being on the chopping block at the FCC, I doubt this will start to take off even for those that have broadband access at home and then there is prepaid phone crowd who will be out of data quickly on the go or get charged even more or have their speeds throttled.  And finally some ISPs like Comcast are total dicks to deal with (bandwidth caps).

Reply #6
I use 'a-online radio' app  (shout/ice cast ) on an ancient samsung phone and foobar on windows. I can't stand all this current bloatfest demanding different apps for the simplest things.  At home I have always had high allowance / unlimited plan of adsl / vdsl, So flac will be easily handled at barely 1mpbs of 25 and many modern video sites are more than that

Reply #8
Sigh! I guess this sort of blind faith towards lossless encoding, as if it were some sort of end-all solution (with no regards to practical use and/or bandwidth/storage limitation), is, unfortunately, here to stay.

Little do they (want to) realize that lossy or losseless are only horses for courses - each with their own specific application.

Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #9
Its just a natural progression of bandwidth.. Unatural is that traditional codecs don't scale from lossy to lossless.

Bandwidth for fixed location non-mobile plans isn't an issue even here 'primitive-broadband' Australia - Even ADSL 1 8000k will easily handle flac 1000k. Getting unlimited plan providers is no problem for people with some tech knowhow. For many lossless audio is easily handled with 4g / 5g mobile, As demand for video streaming grows. Many stations give several stream choices so its certainly not an 'end-all' .  Its likely that lossy 'streaming' rates for mobiles will be around for a long time and in parallel , lossless or high bitrate lossy will another choice for on non-mobile internet plans.

Reply #10
Also the 32k and 24k AAC link are HE-AAC v2 (aacPlus v2, eAAC+, AAC++, Enhanced AAC+) not AAC+, I keep telling them to change it/add a plus but they don't care.

Reply #11
I've been listeing to the flac stream and the sound is superb ( compared shoutcast 128 other low bitrate garbage) . But why no metadata ? Is it a flac limit ?