Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how to play 5.1 DVD on stereo speakers (Read 30417 times) previous topic - next topic

how to play 5.1 DVD on stereo speakers

hi guys.
this is probably a basic question but i've been looking around and couldn't find the answer anywhere.
i have only stereo speakers and many DVD movies with 5.1 sound  on it. so when i try to play it some channels are too loud and some too quiet. for example the music is loud while i almost can't hear the actors.
can you tell me about some software that could downmix 5.1 to stereo and maybe add it to other tracks and burn it? so i can make my own compilations that would be playable on my laptop. or is there some seting that would do it automaticaly? thank you very much.

Reply #1
hi guys.
this is probably a basic question but i've been looking around and couldn't find the answer anywhere.
i have only stereo speakers and many DVD movies with 5.1 sound  on it. so when i try to play it some channels are too loud and some too quiet. for example the music is loud while i almost can't hear the actors.
can you tell me about some software that could downmix 5.1 to stereo and maybe add it to other tracks and burn it? so i can make my own compilations that would be playable on my laptop. or is there some seting that would do it automaticaly? thank you very much.

Most DVD players do this already and present a stereo (usually Dolby Pro-Logic compatible) signal at the main outputs, usually the SCART socket and dedicated left and right.

From what you are describing though it sounds like you've just connected the left and right channels from the 6 channel output of the DVD player and thus are missing the centre channel. Check the rear of your DVD player to see if there is a separate stereo output section.

If you are playing DVD's on a computer, you will usually need to specify what kind of speakers you have in the software's preferences.
Dan

Reply #2
Don't most movies include a stereo mix?

I'm pretty sure VLC downmixes 5.1 to stereo if you select Stereo under Audio -> Audio Device. I don't have any DVDs on hand to test it with, though.

Reply #3
hi.. thanks for replyes.. well i'm gonna play it only on my laptop using WMP or media player classic (or other suggested). and i have looked in settings and also in windows but couldnt find anything like it. any suggestions? thx

p.s.: what's VLC

Reply #4
ffdshow or ac3filter

Reply #5
hi.. thanks for replyes.. well i'm gonna play it only on my laptop using . . . media player classic . . . .

For 2 channel stereo, set your options for MPC thus:

Reply #6
thanx a lot

Reply #7
You're welcome.