Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Linux: oggenc with flac support (Read 3030 times) previous topic - next topic

Linux: oggenc with flac support

Hi everybody on hydrogenaudio,

I'm looking for oggenc which supports flac. I tried the recommended version but it only says "...flac is not a supported format". So I compiled libogg 1.1.2 and libvorbis 1.1.0 myself and installed it. After that I did the same with vorbis-tools 1.0.1.
oggenc shows me now

OggEnc v1.0.1 (libvorbis 1.0.1)
© 2000-2003 Michael Smith <msmith@xiph.org>

It seems it didn't use the new libraries. Or didn't "make install" do its job? ogginfo of a vorbis file encoded with this oggenc gives me "Vendor: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20040629".

Thanks for your help
nabla

Reply #1
OggEnc v1.0.1 (libvorbis 1.0.1)
© 2000-2003 Michael Smith <msmith@xiph.org>

is hardcoded:
Code: [Select]
#define VERSION_STRING "OggEnc v1.0.1 (libvorbis 1.0.1)\n"
#define COPYRIGHT "(c) 2000-2003 Michael Smith <msmith@xiph.org>\n"

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']http://svn.xiph.org/trunk/vorbis-tools/oggenc/oggenc.c[/span]

Don't worry. As long as the created Oggs have the correct Vendor String (Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20040629) everything should be fine.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #2
If you want to set the vendor tag to the new one, go to vorbis/lib/info.c, do a search for the vendor tag, and change it yourself

Reply #3
If you want to set the vendor tag to the new one, go to vorbis/lib/info.c, do a search for the vendor tag, and change it yourself
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=251448"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So there isn't any difference between "Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20040920" and "Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20040629" except the support for the impulse_trigger_profile, which, actually, has to be set manually, is it?

Thank you for information
nabla

Reply #4
So there isn't any difference between "Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20040920" and "Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20040629" except the support for the impulse_trigger_profile, which, actually, has to be set manually, is it?

Thank you for information
nabla
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=251542"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As far as I know, there is no difference between the two.  Xiph's policy on vendor tags is that only major changes in the code warrant a change in the tag I think.  However, we've changed the tag to differentiate between 1.1RC1 and 1.1. 

impulse_trigger_profile is just an unofficial feature in the HA builds only.

Reply #5
Impulse Trigger Profile would be nice in the stock code too.

Thanks to QK providing the source code I managed to create a patchfile and adjusted it so that one can apply it onto the official 1.1 (or more exactly libvorbis 1.1.0 and vorbis-tools 1.0.1) without any warnings. The adjustments were needed because some code changed between 1.1RC1 and 1.1 It seemed it was mainly bitrate management stuff. I will upload the patches in case someone is as anal as I am wanting to use the official final release, but with ITP. It would also be good if QK could quickly check it. It was very straightforward so I do not expect any error.

I'll upload it tonight when I am back home.