Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Clickable stars for rating (Read 7079 times) previous topic - next topic

Clickable stars for rating

I was wondering whether foobar allows you to rate your songs just by clicking on the stars (or whatever symbols you use to display ratings). I am using foobar2000 v1.1.10 and using the "Playback Statistics: component to rate my songs. I have also enabled starred ratings to show up in one of the columns of Playlist tab.
The script I am using to show rating stars is $if(%rating%,$repeat(☆,$sub(5,%rating%))$repeat(★,%rating%))

Thanks for help. I am new to foobar and am migrating from windows media player for its inability to export/import playcounts and ratings.

Reply #1
Change your playlist viewer to the component simplaylist. It comes standard with a stars column and is clickable.

Reply #2
Change your playlist viewer to the component simplaylist. It comes standard with a stars column and is clickable.

Thanks a lot tpijag. Simplaylist works just like I wanted. One thing I noticed is that there are two columns for ratings - 'Rating' and 'Rating DB'. I changed the ratings and saw that the 'Rating DB' column actually corresponds to the Playback Statistics component's ratings. Both columns are able to write to the file property tag named 'Rating' anyways. I hope I am right.

Thanks again. Solved.

Reply #3
NO both do not right to a tag.
By default, Foo_playcount writes to a database and your rating column writes it's metadata to a tag. Take a look at the docs to foo_playcount and it should explain everthing.

Reply #4
NO both do not right to a tag.
By default, Foo_playcount writes to a database and your rating column writes it's metadata to a tag. Take a look at the docs to foo_playcount and it should explain everthing.

Hmmm... yes I see what you mean. Editing a rating on 'Rating DB' column is causing also the 'Rating' column to change. But editing it in the 'Rating' column has no effect on 'Rating DB' column. So both are not in sync, and indicate that foo_playcount writes to its database, while 'rating' column writes to a tag.

I will be delighted if you have answer to one more problem - The ratings as shown by Windows 7 Explorer (golden stars in Right Click > Properties > Details) are not in sync with Foobar player. Those ratings seen in windows explorer were written by my WindowsMediaPlayer previously. Is there a way I can enable Foobar (or foo_playcount) to read those ratings and also be able to write on them?

I am sorry, I am a total newbie

Reply #5
Please read the docs that I referred you to. A rating on Rating DB column is NOT causing the rating column to change. It is writing a value to the database and that value is taking precedence. You will be best served if you make a decision now to follow one single rating tag workflow.

I do not use windows 7. I imagine it is reporting from a different meta data field. In foobar2000, if you bring up the properties dialog on a track that you know has a rating from wmp, you will see what field it is in. At that point someone will be able to help you transfer all those tags to one single location within Foobar2000 [if that is what you are wanting]. In general I would not care what any Explorer version shows.

Reply #6
Please read the docs that I referred you to. A rating on Rating DB column is NOT causing the rating column to change. It is writing a value to the database and that value is taking precedence. You will be best served if you make a decision now to follow one single rating tag workflow.

I do not use windows 7. I imagine it is reporting from a different meta data field. In foobar2000, if you bring up the properties dialog on a track that you know has a rating from wmp, you will see what field it is in. At that point someone will be able to help you transfer all those tags to one single location within Foobar2000 [if that is what you are wanting]. In general I would not care what any Explorer version shows.

I shall read the foo_playcount documentation to understand better. As you advise, I shall stick to foo_playcount component to manage my ratings (and hence the Rating DB column?) for my own good.

The properties dialog on a track in foobar, does not show any field that shows the explorer's (or WMP's) ratings. If I have not yet rated a song through foobar, there is a Rating field which is left blank. If I rate it through foobar, it shows the value in properties but does not replace the ratings in explorer, which is understandable. I will try to post this problem of migrating ratings from files in Windows 7 under a different title and see if someone can help.

Thanks for your tireless efforts for making me understand.