Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bug handling very long filenames in Windows 10 with longpath (Read 794 times) previous topic - next topic

Bug handling very long filenames in Windows 10 with longpath

Hi, I have the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled" set to 1
to get rid of the 260 character limitation of Windows 10 - which was needed to be able to store classical music which can have extremely long filenames.
Unfortunately foobar seems to crash when trying to play a track like :

"Z:\Discography\Classical\Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan\Haydn  Die Schöpfung (The Creation) - [2016] - 16-44.1\Disc 2\07. Gundula Janowitz - Die Schöpfung, Hob. XXI2  Zweiter Teil 26. Chor Vollendet ist das große Werk - 27. Terzett Zu dir, o Herr - 28. Chor Vollendet ist das große We.flac"

A lot of classical music has very long pathnames (hence why I enabled the registry setting).
That track is playing in "Groove" (windows player) so the file is not corrupt, it's just foobar not being able to play it.

I read something about the application manifest (?) that should include a switch to have apps using the longer filenames.
https://weblog.west-wind.com/posts/2022/Jan/03/Integrating-Long-Path-Names-in-Windows-NET-Applications

P.S. windows explorer cannot handle long filenames correctly, I noticed when clicking "properties" of a file with a pathname longer then 260 characters, windows incorrectly shows a location with 8 character folders (z:\ABG4SE~6\EFFEDC~8). In a third party tool like TreeSize however the same dialogue shows the correct long pathname! So Microsofts own explorer has issues too.

Re: Bug handling very long filenames in Windows 10 with longpath

Reply #1
If foobar2000 really crashes, submit the crash report so the reason can be diagnosed.

There are no manifests indicating long path support because foobar2000 uses the native method of accessing long paths. The method that works even on older OSes and has worked long before Windows 10 introduced the simplified method.

Btw, I recreated your file path and playing the file works fine in foobar2000. Nothing crashes.