Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Researchers develop a paper-thin loudspeaker (Read 1999 times) previous topic - next topic

Researchers develop a paper-thin loudspeaker

The flexible, thin-film device has the potential to make any surface into a low-power, high-quality audio source.
~ https://news.mit.edu/2022/low-power-thin-loudspeaker-0426
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Re: Researchers develop a paper-thin loudspeaker

Reply #1
Hiding surround speakers might just have become (+x years) a lot simpler. I wouldn't bet on selling my subwoofer yet, though...

Reply #2
Well, low power ...
They boast an efficiency of 66 dB for 0.1 watt at 30 cm distance, for a 1 kHz signal. To convert those 66 to 1 watt 1 m, add around 20 - and then subtract 3 for at-wall placement, right? 
Or if the "at wall" should be considered "at wall but not on floor", then the 3 dB for half sphere could be omitted, and you get to an equivalent of 86 dB for a floor-standing speaker at a watt at 1m.  Isn't that quite a bit run-of-the-mill?

Yes their efficiency jumps 20 dB at 10 kHz (sounds like a 6 dB/octave rolloff?) but you don't need that much power up there.

Reply #3
To convert those 66 to 1 watt 1 m, add around 20 - and then subtract 3 for at-wall placement, right?
boohllshyte! Add ten and subtract ten. Which would make for very low efficiency ... except they don't talk about impedance nor anything informative. Speaker area?

Also, it does not show up at the journal's home page. I have a hunch it isn't published, but accepted. No title. Couldn't find a manuscript version.