Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: what sofware can create / author Blu-Ray Audio disc (Read 4661 times) previous topic - next topic

what sofware can create / author Blu-Ray Audio disc

I have a lot of high quality WAV song files that someone give me.  These files are 100MB+ per song

what software can create a Blu-ray audio disc?  that can play on a regular blu-ray player, such as Oppo.  I have purchased blu-ray audio music disc, and when I view the file format on a PC, these blu-ray audio disc file format is just like video blu-ray disc format.

Re: what sofware can create / author Blu-Ray Audio disc

Reply #1
if the above is not doable, what's the loss in audio quality if I convert these 5.1 chnl. 100MB+ wav files to FLAC?

Reply #2
I've made several DVDs, but never a Blu-Ray.

Most DVD & Blu-Ray players can play FLAC or WAV but it's not "standard" so they are not required to play it.  (And your AVR has to decode the FLAC.)

You need "Blu-Ray authoring software."   Corel Video Studio and Cyberlink Power Producer can make (compliant) DVD & Blu-Ray discs, and there are others.   

But I don't know about audio-only....  With DVDs you usually need some video but that can be a blank still image or you can have an actual image, or a different image for each track, etc.   (There's also a DVD-Audio standard, which is different, and it never caught-on and most players don't support it.)      

I don't think that's the case with Blu-Ray.  I think you can have an audio-only disc that plays on standard Blu-Ray players, but the "standard" software may expect video.  

Reply #3
if the above is not doable, what's the loss in audio quality if I convert these 5.1 chnl. 100MB+ wav files to FLAC?
Nothing, assuming that they are your typical .wav files.  And if you use flac.exe it will simply refuse if it cannot convert losslessly.

But if they weren't .wav in the first place, then the conversion that has already been done - to WAVE - might have wasted something. Unlikely to waste anything but space though.

Reply #4
P.S.
Wikipedia has a list of Blu-Ray audio formats. 

LPCM (linear PCM) is the same uncompressed format on CDs and in WAV files but it's in an MPEG "container".  (But Blue-Ray & DVD don't support 44.1kHz.)

But if this is for your own personal use, I'd just try burning WAV or FLAC files (or both) directly on the disc as "data" or "computer files" and check if your setup can play it.

Reply #5
DVDFab rips any audio and burns DVD and Blu-ray discs.
EZ CD Audio Converter / FLAC or WavPack

Reply #6
I try DVDFab, haven't try cyberlink, but these software are all looking for a video file.  So these software doesn't seem to know what a pure audio blu-ray disc is.

Reply #7
5.1 chnl. 100MB+ wav files
What sample rate and bit depth?

What's the model number of the blu-ray player you want to use? If you don't need the disc to work in every player, you might be able to burn ordinary files to a disc instead of authoring blu-ray video/audio.

Reply #8
I use Oppo 205, the sample rate in the file is 96K Hz but I don't have a software that shows bit depth.

I can convert ea. file to FLAC and burn it on a CD.  I don't know why it's so hard to get a BD Authoring software

Reply #9
On an related question, I just convert the first 174MB WAV file to a 117MB FLAC file, that's just 1 song.  Now, if I pack these FLAC on a CD:
1) would there is any loss or distortion or problem when I burn a 80 min. music CD w/ these large FLAC files?

2) these original WAV file are 5.1 Blu-ray audio file, how do I know that by using Audacity , that the files are playable on 2 chnl. on a stereo system

Reply #10
update: I just convert 20 files from these Blu ray audio WAV to FLAC, the FLAC file of say a few min. song ranges from 72MB (3:40 min.) to 150MB (7 min.)  By comparison, on another unrelated music CD, its FLAC files are only 18MB to 29MB in size.

So what's all extra MB for?  Now, I did do a test burn on 3 songs at 117MB, 60, and 60MB, and they do play fine on my stereo sys., but I couldn't help but wonder why all these extra MB in size

Reply #11
I use Oppo 205, the sample rate in the file is 96K Hz but I don't have a software that shows bit depth.
Your player supports playing FLAC over USB. I couldn't find any detailed specifications, but I can't imagine an "audiophile" product that doesn't handle 24-bit, so I expect you can burn those FLAC files as a data disc (not an audio disc!) and play them. The only issue you might run into is that its disc drive may not be fast enough if you burn them to a CD, since it probably limits the disc speed to stay quiet.

1) would there is any loss or distortion or problem when I burn a 80 min. music CD w/ these large FLAC files?
If you burn a data disc, the files will be unchanged. If you burn an audio disc, the audio will be converted to stereo 16-bit 44.1kHz. You may hear a difference depending on how the downmix from 5.1 to stereo is performed, but the conversion from 96kHz to 16-bit 44.1kHz will not make any audible difference.

update: I just convert 20 files from these Blu ray audio WAV to FLAC
How did you perform the conversion?

So what's all extra MB for?
CDs are stereo 16-bit 44.1kHz. The Blu-ray audio is 5.1 (unknown)-bit 96khz. There are more channels, more samples per second, and possibly more bits per sample. That makes the files bigger.

Reply #12
Now, if I pack these FLAC on a CD:
What do yo mean "pack"?  An 80 minute CD holds about 700MB.  If you reduce the sample rate or bit depth you are reducing the resolution, but you aren't necessarily reducing the sound quality...   Regular CD audio is generally better than human hearing.

2) these original WAV file are 5.1 Blu-ray audio file, how do I know that by using Audacity
Audacity will show 6 tracks but they won't be identified.   The top should be left (front) and next will be right (front) and beyond that I don't know.   It's usually easy to identify the LFE ("point one") and you can probably figure-out the center.  If you are not sure or not confident, make a test disc.

that the files are playable on 2 chnl. on a stereo system.
Audacity can't directly-play multi-channel audio  I believe it will downmix.   But you can export in a multi-channel format.

Otherwise regular player software will downmix.   Certainly, any valid DVD or Blu-Ray format will be properly downsampled if you have DVD/Blu-Ray player software or a hardware player.   Note that the "point one" LFE channel is not included in the stereo downmix.

I use Oppo 205,
The Oppo website says it will play FLAC, WAV, and several other formats.

I don't know why it's so hard to get a BD Authoring software
DVDs and Blu-Ray discs normally have menus, audio (sometimes multiple languages), video, and sometimes subtitles in multiple languages.   The format has to support those features and it has to be standardized so that every DVD/Blu-Ray player can play them.     There are lots of valid audio & formats within the Blu-Ray & DVD standards, but for example, MP3 (or FLAC) is not one of them so you can't sell a commercial DVD with MP3 (or FLAC) because not every player will play it.    When someone buys a DVD or BLu-Ray, they expect it to work in their player...

I try DVDFab, haven't try cyberlink, but these software are all looking for a video file.
Did you try it with no video file?   Or with a still image file?   You can use album art or it "wouldn't hurt" to have a "picture" of text showing the song title & artist.   (Again, I've never authored a Blu-Ray disc but I've made a "slide show" DVD.

The sample rate in the file is 96K Hz but I don't have a software that shows bit depth.
  MediaInfoOnline will give you the file details.   (Most lossy compression formats don't have a bit depth but MediaInfo will show the bitrate.)

Or you can calculate it out from the file size and playing time.   There are 8-bits in a byte so for example a 16-bit sample is 2 bytes and a CD has 44,100 x 2 bytes x 2 channels per second = 176,400 bytes per second.

A FLAC is typically 60% of the uncompressed size.

With lossy compression it depends on the bitrate.  kbps = kilobits per second, and you can divide by 8 to get kilobytes per second, and or you can calculate kilobytes per minute, or hour, etc.

Or you can calculate the bitrate for a CD as 44,100 x 16 x 2 = 1411 kbps.

Reply #14
DVDDoug:

1) packed is just a fig. of speech.  I mean copy

2) I test copying a WAV file on ?? DVD / Blu ray software, not dVDFab, something else, forgot what it is.  That s/w expected that WAV file as a video WAV

Reply #15
I load up Audacity, I open the WAV file, I then go Export, then I select Export Multiple, then I pick FLAC 24 bit level 8
With its default settings, Audacity is not lossless. (You won't be able to hear the difference, but you do lose some information in the conversion.)

Reply #16
From https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205 :
The UDP-205 is equipped with two USB 3.0 ports on the back and another USB port on the front. Users can play video, music and photos from USB hard drives or thumb drives.

To convert to FLAC the easiest way, just get yourself a flac.exe and then drag and drop the .wav files onto it. That will convert using default "-5", which isn't too far from the compression levels FLAC is capable of. (You can of course use e.g. foobar2000 to convert using -8.)
Then you can check that they work the way they ought to (correct channel allocation blah blah blah).

If your FLAC files are just too big to fit to your thumb drive or a burnable disc, try - on a rewritable medium first - Monkey's Audio for slightly better compression. Why on a rewritable? Because although the above link promises Monkey's support, multichannel or high resolutions might be too new.
(I'd guess that Oppo uses ffmpeg to decode ... too bad it does not support WavPack or TAK. Well I wouldn't even be surprised if it does, but just hasn't tested it.)

Reply #17
 I didn't realize foobar is so powerful. However, I just did a Details on 1 of these WAV file. It's 181MB WAV, it says sample rate 96K Hz, Chnl. 2, bit per sample 24, codec PCM, encoding lossless, bitrate 4608 kbps.

Reply #18
I load up Audacity, I open the WAV file, I then go Export, then I select Export Multiple, then I pick FLAC 24 bit level 8
With its default settings, Audacity is not lossless. (You won't be able to hear the difference, but you do lose some information in the conversion.)

under Quality, it says:
Sampling
Default sample 44.1KHz, Default Sample Format: 32 bit float,
Under Real Time Conversion:
Sample Rate Converter: Medium
Dither : None,
Under High Quality Conversion
Sample Rate Converter: Best Quality
Dither : Shaped

When I open a WAV file and convert to FLAC, is that "Real Time Conversion" or "High Quality Conversion"

And what do you people set Dither to be?

And doing a search, it says I should only use Dither when I convert from 16 bit to 24 bits.  So at the High Quality Conversion, the default is "Shaped", shouldn't I change it to None?

Reply #19
I didn't realize foobar is so powerful.
foobar2000 is awesome yes. It also has very good WavPack support, with sliders for both the "modes" and the "extra" compression.

Details on 1 of these WAV file. It's 181MB WAV, it says sample rate 96K Hz, Chnl. 2, bit per sample 24, codec PCM, encoding lossless, bitrate 4608 kbps.
Yep, 96/24 stereo - that has a bitrate of 4608 in uncompressed PCM (e.g. WAVE but also AIFF will have the same size).
If you convert to FLAC with bit depth "auto" and "Never" dither, you will get the same audio bits. (That is not to say you will get exactly the same .wav file back if you decompress - only a .wav file with the same audio.) You can also make fb2k transfer metadata, if the source file has any.)
Using https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_bitcompare you can also verify whether a conversion you have attempted with e.g. ffmpeg is lossless: compare original and the encode.