Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Another Thread About Genre Tags (Read 436 times) previous topic - next topic

Another Thread About Genre Tags

I keep changing my mind about how to tag things with genre and I'm starting to get irritated with myself! If I search my library for punk I'd like all of the albums by 999 to show up because they are a punk band even if I consider the album "13th Floor Madness" to be pop. On the other hand, if I fancy listening to a specific style, I'd be better off tagging each song individually. But then there are albums with one odd track and it doesn't feel right to have just one track seperated so tagging whole albums with the same genre makes sense.

I could add artist_genre, album_genre and song_genre to each track but then since most things fit into multiple genres that's going to be a whole lot of tagging! I've also considered adding the same genre(s) tag to every song by each artist and then different tags for each track (like fast, happy, etc.).

Most discussions seem to be about which genre to use but this is more how do you prefer to group your tracks?

Re: Another Thread About Genre Tags

Reply #1
These genre questions NEVER have "good answers".  :(

But then there are albums with one odd track and it doesn't feel right to have just one track seperated so tagging whole albums with the same genre makes sense.
That's up to you but of course you can also sort by album so you'd see every genre on that album.   I have at least one "greatest hits" album with a Christmas song so of course that one song is tagged "Christmas".   ...I'm sure  I have other albums with mixed genres.

Playlists are another way to help with "organization".    I've got a "Halloween" playlist with a bunch of regular rock songs (for example Season Of The Witch) by Donovan, or there are a bunch of "creepy" Creedence songs).

And I have an iPod Classic Antique that plugs-into my vehicles and with iTunes I can make "smart playlists".   For example I have 1960s playlist that includes rock & soul but excludes Christmas or any of the "odd" or "special" genres.

Reply #2
If an album has a hint of Punk, you could add both tags. Maybe create a convention that the last tag listed has the least contribution. Christmas music is often pop, rock or easy listening, besides being holiday.

Reply #3
Playlists are another way to help with "organization".    I've got a "Halloween" playlist with a bunch of regular rock songs (for example Season Of The Witch) by Donovan, or there are a bunch of "creepy" Creedence songs).
Playlists might actually be a better idea, it's alright having loads of tags in Foobar but it's not so convenient in Rockbox!