Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP4 - MP3 (Read 2925 times) previous topic - next topic

MP4 - MP3

Copied tunes from MacBook iTunes onto USB; transferred to PC (Windows 7); opened tunes (MP4) into Foobar2000 1.3.16; when attempting to play, FB says:  "Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file (moov box not found)):"

Saw adv for dbpoweramp attached to FB's page, so got that; attempting to convert .m4a back to .mp3, but dbpoweramp tells me "file not supported" -- so I guess I just wasted my $$ on dbpoweramp as it is touted as being this nearly-magical program that covers nearly-every-possibility . . . and since .mp3 and .mp4 are pretty basic in the audio world, I thought I could reasonably expect they would be "convertable" . . .  Not so.

Nothing simple.  Nothing with clarity for ease of understanding.  Nothing to spend my time on but attempting to decipher computerese and programs that require extensive information and expertise . . .

Thanks for any clarification.  Appreciated.

Re: MP4 - MP3

Reply #1
Copied tunes from MacBook iTunes onto USB; transferred to PC (Windows 7); opened tunes (MP4) into Foobar2000 1.3.16; when attempting to play, FB says:  "Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file (moov box not found)):"

Saw adv for dbpoweramp attached to FB's page, so got that; attempting to convert .m4a back to .mp3, but dbpoweramp tells me "file not supported" -- so I guess I just wasted my $$ on dbpoweramp as it is touted as being this nearly-magical program that covers nearly-every-possibility . . . and since .mp3 and .mp4 are pretty basic in the audio world, I thought I could reasonably expect they would be "convertable" . . .  Not so.

Nothing simple.  Nothing with clarity for ease of understanding.  Nothing to spend my time on but attempting to decipher computerese and programs that require extensive information and expertise . . .

Thanks for any clarification.  Appreciated.
I don't tend to convert between lossy formats, but if I do need to, the free version of Any Video Converter seems to do the job well enough. It does most of what the full version can, although you get a nag screen when a job finishes: https://www.any-video-converter.com/products-freeware/

Reply #2
Thank you for your response; AVC appears to be specifically for video -- not audio as I'm dealing with.  Thank you nonetheless.

Reply #3
Thank you for your response; AVC appears to be specifically for video -- not audio as I'm dealing with.  Thank you nonetheless.
It is mainly a video tool, but it does convert to and from several audio-only formats.

Reply #4
There is some problem with the files you copied from iTunes.  What is their file extension on iTunes?

Suggest you update to a current version of foobar2000.  You may also want to install the "Free Encoder Pack".

Reply #5
I copied them to the USB; the extension there is MP4 -- can't find any extension(s) in iTunes library; should there be such showing?  Thanks for the assistance; appreciated.