Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Auto sync file tags: Off but writing files!? (Read 4124 times) previous topic - next topic

Auto sync file tags: Off but writing files!?

Hi,

new to fb2k, but already love it. Accept my excuses if this is trivial, I searched the fourm but did not see anything similar.

Question: fb2k v0.9.6.3 with theme 'dark one'. OK.

Now I noticed that the files played are updated while playback, probably for statistic tags. This happens for MP3 and FLAC.

The only option I found is File/Pref/Advanced/Tools/Playback Statistics/Automatically sync file tags ... (disrecommended).

But this is OFF! Why are the files modified? This should be a general setting, and it is OK to have it off by default. NO component should be able to override this setting (I installed some components, and I think the files MP3/FLAC have not been modified before). I did not yet try to find out which component rewrites the files.

BTW, if theme 'dark one' is off, it happens as well with normal GUI. Could someone confirm this? And if this is a bug?

Regards,
cooper2009.

Edith knows:
Solved.

foo_uie_lyrics was the reason 
I did not expect a component could override the general setting. This raises some questions on the concept of components... I believe the files should be protected by fb2k.

Tnx mod for pointing me to the problematic components.

Reply #1
Its not a bug, its intended
The files are only modified in the statistics database, not the files themself.

If you want to modify the files themself, then and only then you could enable "Automatically sync file tags...".

Btw. the component that updates the statistics is of course Playback Statistics (foo_playcount).
You could delete it from your components folder but this would cause that you'll not have any statistics about your files!

Reply #2
Hi tedgo,

tnx for fast answer.
Think you did not get the point: The files ARE modified (time and date), although the option to sync is OFF! I do not want to have the files modified!
cooper2009

Its not a bug, its intended
The files are only modified in the statistics database, not the files themself.

If you want to modify the files themself, then and only then you could enable "Automatically sync file tags...".

Reply #3
NO!
The files are NOT modified.
If you right-click on a file and choose "properties", then you'll see that on the Metadata tab there are no entries about time/date/playcounts, that means, there are no changes in tags.
These informations are only on the properties tab and not stored in the file itself, but ONLY in the playback statistics database.

Or do you have downloaded the unofficial playback statistics plugin instead of or in addition to the official foo_playcount?
The unofficial updates tags silently.

Reply #4
Please post your full component list, as available in Preferences > Components > [copy] in the top-right corner. It might be caused by something else than Playback Statistics.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #5
@cooper2009
Have you enabled "Download automatically" and "Embed to file" in foo_uie_lyrics?
The Lyrics Show Panel 0.3.3.9 shouldn't update tags silently without this settings enabled but they're disabled be default (to my knowledge. Its a long time ago since i installed it...)

Reply #6
Thanks, tedgo,

the files are rewritten. Even if the tags remain the same, the file has been touched (not modified though eventually).

Removed foo_uie_lyricsm and foo_playback_custom.

OP edited.

cooper2009

Reply #7
Yes, Playback Custom rewrites the files, because it solently updates the tags.
But the foo_uie_lyrics 0.3.3.9 doesn't touch the files by default.
I tried it with a portable installation now and the settings that could cause updating the files are disabled by default.
Or do you had an other foo_uie_lyrics than the modified from here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=55691

Reply #8
Hi tedgo,

lyrics v0.3.3.9, playback_custom v1.4.3.0.

Topic closed (for me).

Tnx,
cooper2009.

Reply #9
foo_uie_lyrics was the reason 
I did not expect a component could override the general setting. This raises some questions on the concept of components... I believe the files should be protected by fb2k.
Components are free to do anything they want, that's the core principle of foobar2000's extensibility. There is no general setting for tag updating - that "Automatically sync file tags" is provided by the Playback Statistics component itself. It's only a problem of some of the 3rd party components that they silently update files without user's content by default.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.