Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Betas are now distributed via Bittorrent (Read 38316 times) previous topic - next topic

Betas are now distributed via Bittorrent

Since from now on all foobar2000 beta versions will be available through bittorrent only I can not download them furthermore.

My ISP (Internet Service Provider) blocks bittorrent downloads or slows them down extremely.

It's a pity.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #1
My ISP (Internet Service Provider) blocks bittorrent downloads or slows them down extremely.
Is that fatal even for a 3 MB file?
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #2
Since from now on all foobar2000 beta versions will be available through bittorrent only I can not download them furthermore. It's a pity.

I am against distributing via bittorrent as well. I don't want to install an additional piece of software just to download another piece of software.
Ceterum censeo, there should be an "%is_stop_after_current%".

Reply #3
Since from now on all foobar2000 beta versions will be available through bittorrent only I can not download them furthermore. It's a pity.

I am against distributing via bittorrent as well. I don't want to install an additional piece of software just to download another piece of software.

utorrent is exactly 1 exe file for exaclty 264Kb. So bad excuse :/

Reply #4

then wait for the final version.

besides utorrent is a single 282kb .exe that doesn't need installing (cancel the setup the first time it runs and it will just run from it's current location)

Reply #5
There are plugins for firefox to download bittorent files, also opera has build-in bittorent support. Not sure about IE though.

Reply #6
Bittorrent is great distribution protocol that lowers (distribution) server strain a lot. So I guess foobar2000 became popular. Or that's just another step to filter out not so experienced users from beta testing.

PS: Torrent with web seed for releases? Not sure if torrent files allow storing web seed information though.
Sharing delusions since 1991.

Reply #7
Or that's just another step to filter out not so experienced users from beta testing.
Really. What were the previous steps?
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #8
Cool, bittorrent is THE way for spreading content. Everybody who isn't able to handle this way of grabbing files
hasn't arrived in todays INet. 

jgro

Reply #9
Cool, bittorrent is THE way for spreading content. Everybody who isn't able to handle this way of grabbing files

I say it's rather arrogant. What do you mean by THE way. I have tons of stuff downloaded to my computer, none bia BT. It's a bit like google or adobe or amazon who require to install their own downloaders.

Reply #10
With the recent blocking of torrents by some ISP using BT as the only official source for betas could make people download the files from other (read: less trustworthy) sources. Maybe an alternative download link via some file hoster would be good (if traffic really is the issue here). Also a link to download the torrent as a txt file for people with ISPs who block .torrent file downloads.

Reply #11
Another legitimate use of bittorrent can never be a bad thing.

Reply #12
Cool, bittorrent is THE way for spreading content. Everybody who isn't able to handle this way of grabbing files hasn't arrived in todays INet.
Bittorrent is one way only for spreading content, not THE way. And this one way has advantages and disadvantages as the other ways too.
Besides nobody has stated here he wouldn't know how to handle bittorrent downloads.

Is that fatal even for a 3 MB file?
Unfortunately it is.

I was interested in this beta version because it fixes security issues, but my download fails due to the technical restrictions I mentioned.

I am looking forward to the final release.

Thanks for your comments.

Robertina.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #13
Videohelp and some other sites will continue to mirror betas with HTTP downloads of the installers as they did for this latest beta release.  No need to panic. 

Reply #14

I say it's rather arrogant. What do you mean by THE way. I have tons of stuff downloaded to my computer, none bia BT. It's a bit like google or adobe or amazon who require to install their own downloaders.

Hey, great, that you have been succeded in downloading "stuff".

But your totally wrong comparison to proprietor bullshit (google,adobe,amazon) to a usefull, platform independend file-protocol like BT,
which is based on SHARING stuff shows me, that you do not know what you are talking about.

Take your time for research.

jgro

Reply #15
What's the official stated reason for using bittorrent? Anyone know?

There are plugins for firefox to download bittorent files, also opera has build-in bittorent support.

Yeah, just tried the firefox plugin firetorrent, but didn't work, nothing happened. Not sure of the problem, could be an ISP issue -  need to check. But I agree with those who've said that many users will download from non-official HTTP mirrors. No big deal, but is that an intended and agreeable consequence for the development team?

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #16
But your totally wrong comparison to proprietor bullshit (google,adobe,amazon) to a usefull, platform independend file-protocol like BT,
which is based on SHARING stuff shows me, that you do not know what you are talking about.

No, it's you who cannot grasp the parallel. In all these cases I have to download and install some software in addition to, and with the only purpose being to obtain access to, the product I am interested in.

It's like a grocery store ordering you to get your own shopping cart before they allow you to buy your bread or milk. And you'll probably need another shopping cart for another grocery store. It is a handicap, even if each cart is "free" (no money paid directly). And I don't care if that you find this particular useful for your purposes, whatever they are. I'd need it probably solely to download foobar updates.

Reply #17
Another legitimate use of bittorrent can never be a bad thing.

\o/ Hooray BitTorrent! \o/

Bit torrent is amazing stuff and it is indeed great to see another legitimate use for this technology. If your ISP is blocking legitimate use for bandwidth you are paying for then consider getting another ISP.  Also remember that this is only for the beta releases and the primary distribution on the main releases is still HTTP.  Personally I'd like to see a BitTorrent option on the main releases also.

(If you don't like my two cents then give it back.)

Reply #18
I'd need it probably solely to download foobar updates.
No, you'd need it probably solely to download beta foobar updates.

Your ability to exaggerate the situation does not strengthen your argument.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #19

No, it's you who cannot grasp the parallel. In all these cases I have to download and install some software in addition to, and with the only purpose being to obtain access to, the product I am interested in.

It's like a grocery store ordering you to get your own shopping cart before they allow you to buy your bread or milk. And you'll probably need another shopping cart for another grocery store. It is a handicap, even if each cart is "free" (no money paid directly). And I don't care if that you find this particular useful for your purposes, whatever they are. I'd need it probably solely to download foobar updates.

What on "platform independent" didn't you understand? You are complaining about a software which gives you access to multiple "groceries"?

Oh man, what a hard debt.

Do you also complain about updates or other news components that appear when using software demanding
a new "conditioned" behavior?

Especially the advanced use of foobar2000 requires an openminded spirit when you are willing to work with betas.
Your ridiculous complains do not fit with the openminded way foobar is all about.

So your critic is with out any substance and shows your unflexibility in going "new" ways.

Take it or leave it.

jgro

Reply #20
What on "platform independent" didn't you understand? You are complaining about a software which gives you access to multiple "groceries"?

You apparently don't understand that not everyone is like you. None of multiple programs/updates/files I have downloaded so far required BitTorrent. So from my point of view, I'd be forced to install BT only to download foobar. It is completely irrelevant for me that you find many uses for BT. I don't.

Your ridiculous complains do not fit with the openminded way foobar is all about.

Oh yes. I thought foobar was about being compact and easy to customize to my needs. Downloading another program just to be able to download foobar contradicts compactness and is making me to get customized to foobar needs.

So your critic is with out any substance and shows your unflexibility in going "new" ways.

No, it's only your incapability to understand the substance, because you are apparently unable to think outside your own box. There is no benefit for me in using BT, period.  I see no point in going a "new" way only because it's new.

Reply #21
Well, torrents aren't exactly bleeding-edge untested technology, so I doubt very much this is a case of Peter (or whoever) going "Ooooo, shiny!" and adopting the newest thing just because it's new and awesome and new. Particularly since the developers have shown no signs of that brand of irrationality in the past. Nor do I think it's some kind of 'you must be this technically saavy to ride' hurdle for users or weird philosophical statement; again, that just ain't their style.

Is it beneficial to us as end users? Probably not directly; the advantages of torrents for downloading software really tend to be more evident with much larger file sizes than the fb2k installers, at least so far as I understand things. However, my guess is that it's a change that's meant to be beneficial to them; I'd guess (and that's all this is, a guess) it's about reducing their hosts' bandwidth costs. Which, for a site that offers completely free downloads of software seems an eminently reasonable thing to do.

Reply #22
@pawelq: i understand your dilemma, but i must disagree with your anti-BT stance. the internet is subject to evolution. BT is arguably the best current way to share files to a large group of people. it makes perfect sense for the development team to utilize BT. while i understand that it is inconvenient for you to have to set up a BT client just to download foobar beta versions, i'm afraid that if you don't embrace change, you will be left behind. think of this as an opportunity to learn something new that will probably help you in the future.

Reply #23
Torrents are a great way to spread material, without the use of single concentrated bandwith and the danger of hotlinking.
As an example: Blizzard use the bittorrent protocoll to spread their WoW updates.
You may be thinking that 3 mb is far too small, to kill a host with the upcoming bandwith -just take 5.000 users worldwide, who will download it and yes: thats a hurt in the butt.
Hosted plug-ins, hosted stable version and some html pages will come too (the hurt will never stop).

If you want to support the developer of foobar, please use the small, tiny, cute bittorrent software. Think about the work the developer had, to bring you this piece of software - for free.
He just had to install some software, to compile and write the foobar.

If you don´t like the idea to support the developer of your favorit player, because you dislike the use of a free way for him to send out his work - use winamp.

Reply #24
Or just don't use betas.

Is it beneficial to us as end users? Probably not directly...
Unless you happen to see the components repository, the online troubleshooter and crashlog submission as direct benefits.

I mean, I haven't been directly told that betas are being distributed via bittorrent to offset the increased bandwidth required for these new features, but considering the timing of things it doesn't take much to put two and two together, no?
elevatorladylevitateme