Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Running Foobar in Linux (Read 640505 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #50
Under 0.9.39 and Foobar 0.9 I found some strange behaviours of the sound 

Like what ? If it is sound distortion, on my sound card I had to use the resampler @ 48000Hz for the sound not to be garbled / strange.

Just tried 0.39 and using JACK as the audio driver I can move window like mad and have 0 skips! yay!

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #51
Resample @48000HZ? What exactly does this mean?

What is JACK? Does it work with every soundcard?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #52

Under 0.9.39 and Foobar 0.9 I found some strange behaviours of the sound 

Like what ? If it is sound distortion, on my sound card I had to use the resampler @ 48000Hz for the sound not to be garbled / strange.

Just tried 0.39 and using JACK as the audio driver I can move window like mad and have 0 skips! yay!

is there any special trick to get jack to work with foobar? I have jack running, but when I open foobar, under the output section of the preferences, all I see is Null Output.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #53
is there any special trick to get jack to work with foobar? I have jack running, but when I open foobar, under the output section of the preferences, all I see is Null Output.

You must select it as the wine audio driver using winecfg. Then it should appear in foobar sound conf, provided jackd is operational.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #54

You must select it as the wine audio driver using winecfg. Then it should appear in foobar sound conf, provided jackd is operational.

hmm in winecfg I see no option so select jack. I know jack is running, because I'm able to get my MIDI keyboard connected to a few synth programs with jack, and they work fine...

Is jack support something that has to be specially compiled into wine or something? Maybe my wine (from the ubuntu repo's) doesn't have wine support...

edit:

this was taken while jack was up and running

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #55
I installed jack started jack. Then I started foobar2000.I tsrated Jack audio server and the winecfg then I could choose JACK. 
Is there the possibility to run run jack when starting foobar automatically?

I am running Feity fawn.

But although the soudn seems to be okay now the visualisatiion stutters 

Also the playbacktime isn't konstantly updating. Someonelse got this?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #56
A new version of wine has appeared today

Changelog says:

# A few more sound fixes.

I am interessted if this is recognizeable when using foobar. I will test this weekend 

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #57
I'm just trying out Ubuntu and i would like to have foobar play my files. I followed the guide in the first post, but i get an error when trying to start foobar from the menu:
Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/foobar2000" (Permission denied)
Offcourse i see there is something wrong with the permissions, but how do i solve this?

Also when i try to start foobar from a terminal with: wine -l ja_JP foobar2000.exe
i get the error: wine: could not load L"c:\\windows\\system32\\-l.exe": Module not found

I would really appreciate the help getting my way with wine and ubuntu
Inter Deum et Diabolum semper Musica est", Tanzwut

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #58
wine -l ja_JP foobar2000.exe

I thing this is wrong. Let the bold text away.

go to your directory /home/user(or what your name is)/.foobar2000

Choose the foobar2000.exe rightclick and then open with wine.
This should run foobar.

I had some problems too with creating a shell script.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #59
Just a thought, but if/when JACK gets completely ported to Windows, would it be possible to add a patch so it would be possible run the Windows version through WINE, connect foobar2000 to that via a plugin, and then connect the Windows JACK to a native one? Sounds like a lot of work, but shouldn't that eliminate any dropout/other audio issues?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #60
Just a thought, but if/when JACK gets completely ported to Windows, would it be possible to add a patch so it would be possible run the Windows version through WINE, connect foobar2000 to that via a plugin, and then connect the Windows JACK to a native one? Sounds like a lot of work, but shouldn't that eliminate any dropout/other audio issues?

The audio dropout problem has been fixed with wine 0.9.39 at least for me and a few other people.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #61
For me wine 0.9.40 and Jack work perfectly

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #62
Does anyone else notice a big regression with the latest 0.9.41? After upgrading this weekend all the stuttering seems to be back.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #63
I get messages that jack isn't found. This is really a pitty. I was very complicated to downgrade.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #64
foobar2000 works very well for me with the ALSA driver in wine 0.41. In fact it works so well I'm thinking about using it not just for tagging but for playback as well.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #65
I get messages that jack isn't found. This is really a pitty. I was very complicated to downgrade.

I'd rather not downgrade either. I'm more inclined to leave my Linux partition alone for the next two weeks and only use Windows. Perhaps I'll figure out where and how to report regressions to the Wine team though.
Btw I didn't use Jack.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #66
Very interesting, shame I got rid of Kubuntu, would be nice to give it a try.
:Foobar 2000:
:MPC --standard:
:iRiver H320 Rockboxed:

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #67
Well I finally resolved a problem with my account and I updated the first page a bit, cleaning up the part about the basic shell script as most people are not using CJK support and I myself am having problems getting it to work under 64bit. I also updated the script to support running as the default application for an audio file.

I have been noticing the sound becoming more and more stable over the past few builds of wine and currently (0.9.41) the skipping is all but gone, only appearing under heavy system load.

I am unable to get JACK to appear in my winecfg, would anyone be so kind as to link a tutorial somewhere on how to get this up and running?

I played around with Crossover Office for Linux but it didnt seem to make much of a difference to foobar than running it under normal wine.  I also keep a copy of my foobar running in VMware on a fullscreen session tacked to the back of one of my Compiz Fusion cubes.  If you are continuing to experience problems these are some alternative approaches you may wish to explore to enjoy foobar under Linux.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #68
I am unable to get JACK to appear in my winecfg, would anyone be so kind as to link a tutorial somewhere on how to get this up and running?

In the latest version jack has problesm but in Version 0.9.40 you just have to install jack then open wincfg and then it should be available as audio driver. It should be simple.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #69

In the latest version jack has problesm but in Version 0.9.40 you just have to install jack then open wincfg and then it should be available as audio driver. It should be simple.

Nope. I was using version .40 and had jack installed, but there was no jack option in the audio panel of winecfg. There is something else needed.

I'm thinking there is some kind of flag you have to add when you compile wine, and if you got it from a repo, most likley it wasn't compiled with that option...

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #70
I'm thinking there is some kind of flag you have to add when you compile wine, and if you got it from a repo, most likley it wasn't compiled with that option...

That's probably the problem. At least the latest packages for ubuntu from winhq repo are compiled with JACK support.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #71

That's probably the problem. At least the latest packages for ubuntu from winhq repo are compiled with JACK support.

huh?

I'm using 0.9.41 straight from the ubuntu repo, and I see no jack option. And it's not like I don;t have jack installed; its installed and working fine with other applications.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #72
Same here. Ubuntu .deb from the budgetdedicated repository (promoted by winehq), but no Jack in Wine.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #73
My feisty install of wine works well with foobar, i don't configure anything...
just install the latest deb!?
at first a had no audio output, since i delete my .cfg (wich i simply copied to my home dir) all works well.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #74
My feisty install of wine works well with foobar, i don't configure anything...
just install the latest deb!?
at first a had no audio output, since i delete my .cfg (wich i simply copied to my home dir) all works well.

we're talking about jack support, which is different than just "works well with foobar"