Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to display 'Metadata' Ratings as Columns in Playlist View??? (Read 1899 times) previous topic - next topic

How to display 'Metadata' Ratings as Columns in Playlist View???

It will always Default to the Ratings from the Properties Pop Up of the Details/Player Statistics and display those, the little 'Black Stars' which it will display as a corresponding Digit.

I want to display the Stored in Metadata.
<RATING>
This is the Rating written to the MP3 Metadata from DJ software like Rekordbox.
I think both of these Ratings are different again from the Ratings (Stars) that are Displayed in Explorer, again these Ratings don't show up in my Rekordbox Software so i am not interested in trying to Display those in Foobar.

Let me add that i have no problem creating a 'Custom Column' for like Metadata Tags and have them display the desired into in Columns in Playlist View, Example i have done this for numerous Metadata Tags in the past <PUBLISHER>  <LABEL> <GROUPING> ect.

Its just this God Damn <RATING> one thats driving me Nuts lol, spent literally most of the Day yesterday doing work arounds :(

I am using a couple of add-on 'Components' Facets, Masstagger, probably being the most relevant to my Foobar Layout ect.
I did try the 'Columns UI' but it changed too much for my liking and i am hoping i do not have to resort to that to fix this lol.

Thanks for any Help from you Legendary Foobar Folks :)

Re: How to display 'Metadata' Ratings as Columns in Playlist View???

Reply #1
Hi there,

I guess you might have Playback Statistics (foo_playcount) installed which takes over the %rating% field to show database ratings by default.

In this case to show tag field use -

Code: [Select]
$meta(rating)

Or to show tag field as stars use -

Code: [Select]
$pad($repeat(★,$meta(rating)),5,☆)

Cheers

Reply #2
Dude you are an absolute LEGEND!
Many Many Many Thanks :)
You Fixed my Sh*t :)

Adding the Second Script you provided to into Custom Columns now displays Stars for Ratings, the first Script the corresponding Digit instead.
Not only that but if i right click on said MP3 in Explorer and add a Star from the Properties/Details Dialogue it is the same Rating as in Foobar now.
Also the Rekorbox Star Ratings are using the same Metadata now so changing this in Foobar, in Explorer and Rekordbox changes the Star Rating across all 3 places now keeping them all in sync, i will no longer have to use 2 different methods of Rating my Music across the 3 separate places, well 4 separate places including Serato also.
So again, many many thanks again :)

Reply #3
Hi there, chiming in because after years on DUI, I am giving CUI a whirl and so far like it.

I amaged to display the rating stars using this script
$if(%rating%,$repeat(★,%rating%),☆)
in "Display scrit" of my playlist view configuration.

However, these stars are nt clockable. To change the rating, I will have to doubleclick the stars which then turn into a blank space (if not rated before). When I fill in a 4 there, it will display a four star rating with the stars lateron.

Is there any way to make the stars themselves clickable?

Reply #4
^ Not that I'm aware, SimPlaylist (DUI) is the only playlist viewer with click-able stars.

You could use keyboard shortcuts or toolbar buttons instead to set ratings. (Using either Quick Tagger or Masstagger to make the menu commands, if not using Playback Statistics)

There might also be JSP/SMP scripts for ratings ...

Reply #5
@sharpedge if you want clickable stars for rating install this component (you will have a little panel with 5 stars, and you'll be able to click on them) https://github.com/marc2k3/foo_jscript_panel/releases/download/v2.7.0/foo_jscript_panel-2.7.0.fb2k-component
Then, go to View - Layout - Live editing , then do right click on a panel - add panel - Panels - JScript Panel. Click on that panel , and then you have Samples - Complete - Rating

Reply #6
It's not a good idea linking to components directly because it's important for anyone who hasn't used it before checks the installation instructions which details the requirements for FontAwesome. Without it, that rating script will look borked.

https://github.com/marc2k3/foo_jscript_panel/wiki#installation

edit: thanks for pimping it though!

Reply #7
@snotlicker you are perfectly right, but the truth is I was thinking at something else. I made the assumption that the person hasn't used scripts until now. People are scared (especially new users or beginners) when they hear words like WSH, SMP or JScript_panel , haha. Not to mention if they see a web page full of explanations, instructions :) I could have said to use SMP, but it's easier with jscript_panel because the samples are there , with SMP you have to look in the folder with samples . So basically I  tried to make life very very easy for him, with simple instructions, and a direct link, just to convince him to try to install the component. If he managed to do that, then yeah, I would have sent him the link with all the instructions of the script, and the borked text would have been fixed
We'll see if he will install the component, but I'm not so sure