Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Component to resize album art (Read 7636 times) previous topic - next topic

Component to resize album art

Hi there.

Would anyone know if there is any component capable of resizing the album art inserted in the tags of the audio files?

Some devices I use only accept 500x500 px resolution...

Thanks in advance.

Re: Component to resize album art

Reply #1
Hi! This is one thing I'm also looking for, would be nice if there was a component that, not only, resizes but also converted PNG to JPG.

Cheers.

Reply #2
Not a component but mp3tag can do it: right click on the cover > Adjust cover

Reply #3
Yes. TagScanner does that too.

However, I mean an internal feature for foobar2000, without relying on third party software. Something like a component with the ability to run through a simple custom icon.

In very large libraries, the savings would be thousands of clicks.

Reply #4
Since I've already made a component that can scan and report the dimensions of embedded covers already, I guess it would be fairly easy to make a new component resize that art. I'll think about it.

However, it's nonsensical to think other programs would require "thousands of clicks". I'm sure they handle large batches of items with ease.

Reply #5
@snotlicker

I use your component, it is very very very useful, thanks a lot for that!!!

"Thousands of clicks": I run TagScanner through a custom icon that I inserted in foobar2000. On the one hand, it gives me full control of the file organization without having to open and close other software, since TS works very well in parallel with FB. On the other hand, every time I need to resize the art covers, there is a sequence of clicks from that icon. In a library as large as the one I'm trying to organize, it would be much more convenient to resolve "automatically" through a component. One click and you're done.

I would not like to use TS to organize my files. foobar2000 is the software that I like to use for this task. Therefore, If I liked to use only TS, this task would be simple, maybe even faster than the existing function in MP3tag. But, as I said, I like to use foobar2000, this is the tool that I feel comfortable with.

Reply #6
Here's a BETA version to try. I would test on copies of files first.

https://github.com/marc2k3/foo_jscript_panel/wiki/files/foo_cover_resizer.fb2k-component

Requires fb2k v1.6 or later, Windows 7 or later.

Use the context menu>Cover Resizer>Resize.
The max size dialog will not let you enter anything less than 200 (px).
You can preserve the original file type or write as JPG or PNG. WEBP is not supported.
Any images already smaller than the specified max size are ignored.

Reply #7
Nice!!! I'm going to check this out!!! :D

EDIT: It works!

First foo_cover_info came and now this... I just have to say that you are making life a lot easier for many users around here, I'm sure of it!

Thank you very much for your involvement and dedication in this topic! For my part, your solution was even better than I expected, with more functions!

However, would there be any way to enable the resizing with just a single click, that is, to fix a predetermined size in the component's settings and when executing it, the resizing will already be applied?

Your solution with the current configuration is very good and useful, it would not be necessary to sacrifice it, I would just like to know if there was any way to just coexist this solution with the one I mentioned above.

Reply #9
The photo size (in KB) is much larger than the original in some tests here.

Reply #10
edit: Beta.3 now uploaded, same link as before.

https://github.com/marc2k3/foo_jscript_panel/wiki/files/foo_cover_resizer.fb2k-component

This time JPG compression settings are left default (whatever that is) and should always be smaller.

Reply #11
Thanks! :D

Reply #12
Regarding settings,, they should always persist from the previous use so assuming you've changed something from the default, it will always be there next time without a Preferences page. Just a simple OK confirmation each time you use it isn't exactly a hardship.

Reply #13
Better than that, impossible. My most sincere thanks, you solved my initial question with honor on the merit! ;)

Reply #14
Beta.4 uploaded: https://github.com/marc2k3/foo_jscript_panel/wiki/files/foo_cover_resizer.fb2k-component

This reports how many files were successfully updated in the Console.
Also, it has partial WEBP support. It can read and resize WEBP but only write it back as JPG or PNG. It cannot write WEBP.

Reply #15
Does the component no longer have a website?

Reply #17
Beta.4 uploaded: https://github.com/marc2k3/foo_jscript_panel/wiki/files/foo_cover_resizer.fb2k-component

This reports how many files were successfully updated in the Console.
Also, it has partial WEBP support. It can read and resize WEBP but only write it back as JPG or PNG. It cannot write WEBP.
Is it possible to add, without changing the image size, only changing the image format and compressing the size?

Reply #18
Currently it's possible to read/write png/jpg/tiff/bmp/gif but I doubt anyone is using the last 3 for embedded album art. I guess PNG to JPG might save some space. Saving as webp would be nice but I already mentioned above I don't how do to do that. I'm sure there are zillions of examples out there but I'm lazy not to mention incompetent.

Reply #19
I have some album covers in png format that I want to convert to jpg format, but without changing the height and width of the covers, only the image format and file size.
Still thank you very much for making this plugin, it has been excellent.

Reply #20
I have some album covers in png format that I want to convert to jpg format, but without changing the height and width of the covers, only the image format and file size.
Just FYI, you can do this easy in Mp3tag by right-clicking the image and choosing "adjust cover."  It will give you the option to change to jpg at a chosen compression level and maintain dimensions.

Reply #21
I'm sure there are zillions of examples out there but I'm lazy not to mention incompetent.
I wouldn't call you either of those things. The process of using libwebp to create images is probably not exactly straightforward. You've already done considerable work just supporting batch resizing.

Reply #22
Still thank you very much for making this plugin, it has been excellent.

I'll consider this because it only requires a new menu item. I was reluctant to expose any compression options like mp3tag because building dialogs is the biggest headache for any component I've dabbled with compared to the relatively straight forward task of extracting/writing embedded images which the SDK makes very easy. If I implement it, I'll post back with an update.

Reply #23
I'll consider this because it only requires a new menu item. I was reluctant to expose any compression options like mp3tag because building dialogs is the biggest headache for any component I've dabbled with compared to the relatively straight forward task of extracting/writing embedded images which the SDK makes very easy. If I implement it, I'll post back with an update.
I think the current compression works just fine, and don't need any extra menu setting items. just want to change the image format to jpg while retaining the original size(width × height).

Reply #24
Behold.... v0.0.2.

As an extra bonus, it has an option to remove all EXCEPT front. There is a new Cover Utils menu as putting them under Cover Resizer looked wrong.