Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 for mac (Read 107696 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foobar2000 for mac

Reply #50
I‘m sorry, but there's a small question I need to ask.

I have installed the latest version of Foobar2000 for Mac, but it can't open a tak file, and I can't find any instruction for installing additional components on Mac. Is this version has no option to install components or just because I missed anything I should read before using it?

Reply #51
Apparently TAK format is missing from the manifest so Finder does not recognize foobar2000 as a TAK file format handler. It will be fixed in the next update.
Drag and drop to a playlist works.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #52
New version up: 2.1.18

New UI design
Work-in-progress. Preferences are currently in the main window. If this concept turns out to be annoying much, they will be moved to a separate window.

Old Mac OS support
foobar2000 now officially runs on everything from OSX Mavericks up.
Note that I do not intend to support Mavericks indefinitely, but an old version of foobar2000 will be kept available for those who stick with old Mac OS.

Nice!  Meeko approved!  The playlist setup is much better as it would get crowded if you had multiple playlists.  There's only a couple of things that keep this from being a daily driver for me instead of Jriver:

1 - any chance we will see album art?  Clicking properties shows <cover front> indicating it knows art is there, but it doesn't display it.

2 - cannot (shuffle tracks) like in the Windows version to have a truly random order of songs in a playlist; actually I cannot get anything to shuffle at all; hitting random in playback only jumps to a new song and then continues in order

3 - any chance for a darker theme?  Not a fan of bright white.

Thanks Peter for continuing to work on the mac version! :)
foobar2000, FLAC, and qAAC -V90
It just works people!

Reply #53
Different dialog themes only make sense if it's using custom dialog controls and color schemes. Maybe try it on Mojave with the Dark Mode? At least my Cog player is currently built to react to switching to Dark Mode.

Reply #54
It's working very well on High Sierra, thanks Peter!
Would be nice to see a progress bar, time display, equalizer, it's quite perfect otherwise.
And of course components eventually  ;)

Reply #55
I'm having a possible playback issue in 2.1.18, and wanted to test 2.1.14 to see if the issue existed in that version. Is there anywhere to grab the older DMG files? post in question

Scratch that, found the .dmg in a download folder. That said, it would be nice to grab older versions just in case there are issues with a new release.

Reply #56
Peter, many, many thanks for bringing foobar to the Mac. I really like that it's minimalistic right now. It's instantly become my player of choice.

I don't feel the need to import a whole library of music nor do I need extensive playlists, I mostly play stuff one album at a time so it's perfect for me right now. One thing I'm missing though: a progress bar/time display (and maybe some keyboard shortcuts but I can live without them). I hope you will be able to find the time to keep supporting this.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Reply #57
This is amazing. I was just pondering going back to playing regular files instead of streaming from spotify (as the app is just bloated and awful) and surprise surprise - there is a version of foobar2000 for mac! <3

* What are the plans for this version? Could we expect support for plugins? Could we expect support for media library (one of the best things in foobar2k for windows - making organising and selecting things to listen a breaze)

Reply #58
Thank you very much for Foobar2000 for Mac.
It works very well for me.

Just one question : does it support 24ibit playback ?
When I play 96kHz 24bit Flac it shows in console "CoreAudio: opening 16bit 96000Hz 2ch".
Does it mean it pays it as 16 bit ?

Reply #59
Thank you very much for Foobar2000 for Mac.
It works very well for me.

Just one question : does it support 24ibit playback ?
When I play 96kHz 24bit Flac it shows in console "CoreAudio: opening 16bit 96000Hz 2ch".
Does it mean it pays it as 16 bit ?

Commercial music doesn't have that kind of dynamic range anyway 🤭

Reply #60
even when it does, properly dithered&noise-shaped conversion to 16 bits is transparent so you probably won't be able to tell the difference either way.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #61
Just reporting a really bad bug that will make the mac version crash every time.

I use vorbis files in my car every now and then, and like to replay-gain the files so that the volume is equal.  Right clicking and having the replay gain scanner in foobar for mac run "scan per track gain" on the files causes it to crash.  Every time.  The only way to make it work is to do it one by one, and even then it will crash after two files.  And then you have to load the program again.  Sometimes it will crash after working on one file, sometimes after two.

I tested mp3 files and m4a files as well because I commonly will use them in my iphone, and the converter doesn't crash with them.  Any ideas what might be up?  On a mac, I know I use MediaHuman converter to make the vorbis files if that matters.

Thanks.
foobar2000, FLAC, and qAAC -V90
It just works people!

Reply #62
As others have stated, this is wonderful, but would be nice to have a functional Shuffle option, and to know whether bitperfect output is possible with files greater than 16-bit. Thanks very much!

Reply #63
Just reporting a really bad bug that will make the mac version crash every time.

I use vorbis files in my car every now and then, and like to replay-gain the files so that the volume is equal.  Right clicking and having the replay gain scanner in foobar for mac run "scan per track gain" on the files causes it to crash.  Every time.  The only way to make it work is to do it one by one, and even then it will crash after two files.  And then you have to load the program again.  Sometimes it will crash after working on one file, sometimes after two.

I tested mp3 files and m4a files as well because I commonly will use them in my iphone, and the converter doesn't crash with them.  Any ideas what might be up?  On a mac, I know I use MediaHuman converter to make the vorbis files if that matters.

Thanks.
Thanks for the bug report.
Please provide a sample of your Vorbis files for me to look at.
Complete info from the mac OS "application quit unexpectedly" dialog would help too.

EDIT
Crash apparently recreated, investigating.

Reply #64
Version 2.1.21 posted.

Vorbis decoding crash has been addressed ( by reverting to older FFmpeg ).
Dark mode related glitches have been fixed.

Reply #65
Why there isn't a playback bar(or playback progress bar)???

Reply #66
Thank you for foobar2000 for mac.  I have been really enjoying using it.
One issue I need help is that I stream FLACs from a NAS and I've noticed some issues over wifi.

Can you please add configuration for buffering size/time?  Thanks,
(BTW, do you need help in development? Is there a public github repo?)

Reply #68
Just installed the new version. Works fine, but the omission of volume control and progress bar will stop users from switching to this app fully. I for one still have to use the (ugly) VLC for music playing due to this omission.

Reply #69
How does it not have a seekbar my dudes?

Reply #70
Thank you Peter for foobar2000 for mac. Works really fine, THK a lot!! I hope it will be improved.

Reply #71
Thank you Peter for your effort of even bringing foobar2000 to Mac OS. I've been hoping for this since I switched to Mac OS X in 2016. I've used foobar2000 excessively (for music file conversion and cataloguing) first on Windows until 2006 then on Linux with wine (unhappy) and now on mac os with wineskin (not too happy neither). So I'm another foobar2000 junkie that is overjoyed for every new feature coming to fb2kmos ;)

Reply #72
Thank you so much for your effort to bring Foobar2000 to mac!! I have been waiting years for a good player to come to mac.  The best I have found is Swinsian which is great in many ways; simple to use, easy to find your music, and doesn't make a mess of your library. But there are just a few things I really miss from Foobar; persistent playlist (I hate how Swinsian deletes tracks from your current playlist as they finish.) and extremely customization friendly interface, and of course the price tag.

I hope you find the time to continue developing this!

Reply #73
Hi.  Completely new to foobar2000 for mac.  I've been looking for an alternative to iTunes for syncing music and playlists to my iPod classic 160.  I've installed foobar2000 Mac on my MBP, and I've imported my entire iTunes music library into a FB playlist.  Is there some way to sync this to my iPod Classic?

Reply #74
Many thanks for this Foobar2000 version for Mac!
I have also waited for a long time for Foobar to come to Mac.

It's already great, but please continue to improve it!
While we don't need the level of customisation of the Windows version, a few more features would be very useful:
- enable custom fields as columns of the list view (key feature for Classical music, where Composer is a key tag for example). The custom fields are already well integrated in the properties dialog. Adding them to the column chooser should hopefully be not too complicated
- select scaling of UI (when using a high resolution display)
- "Browse" UI from the IOS version (could be very nice if can be ported easily, each level of browsing may be displayed in a new column, similar to how the Finder displays folder levels)
- "Now playing" panel from iOS (could be displayed at the bottom of the left panel of the window)