Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bug: Notification area icon behaviour in foobar2000 1.0 (Read 12604 times) previous topic - next topic

Bug: Notification area icon behaviour in foobar2000 1.0

There's a bug with the Notification area icon in foobar2000 1.0:

My Preferences:

- "Always show notification area icon" disabled
- "Minimize to notification area" enabled

-> start foobar2000

=> Notification area icon visible. Shouln't be visible! Switching to a different application (or just clicking on the Desktop) fixes it. Didn't happen with older versions!

Reply #1
i want to disable the tray icon and i want to disable "minimize to notification area".

my settings:
- "Minimize to notification area" disabled

but i always get the notification area icon and foobar is always minimized to the tray.

my installation:
- portable Foobar2000 v1.0
- Windows 7 32 bit

Reply #2
Yes, this will be fixed in the next version.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #3
There's a bug with the Notification area icon in foobar2000 1.0:

My Preferences:

- "Minimize to notification area" enabled

-> start foobar2000

=> Notification area icon visible. Shouln't be visible! Switching to a different application (or just clicking on the Desktop) fixes it. Didn't happen with older versions!

Not fixed in 1.0.1! Exactly the same behaviour.

Reply #4
Yeah. Not funny.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #6
Is it a bug in 1.0.1?

1) Minimize to notification area disabled
When I press minimize, working set in process foobar.exe changed from ~10 mb to 4,5 mb (can find in ProcessExplorer)

2) Minimize to notification area enabled
When I press minimize, working set in process foobar.exe still ~10 mb and didn't change

in 0.9.x working set changed always.

Portable 1.0.1, components - foo_run, foo_playcount, foo_input_monkey, foo_uie_wsh_panel_mod. OS - WinXP SP3

Reply #7
Is it a bug in 1.0.1?

1) Minimize to notification area disabled
When I press minimize, working set in process foobar.exe changed from ~10 mb to 4,5 mb (can find in ProcessExplorer)

2) Minimize to notification area enabled
When I press minimize, working set in process foobar.exe still ~10 mb and didn't change

in 0.9.x working set changed always.

Confirmed. Indeed strange.

Reply #8
So the other thread doesn't get lost in the depths of the forums:

Having any child form visible while 'Minimize to notification area' is checked makes it so that when foobar2000 is minimized, the child form stays visible.

Reply #10
I guess (hope) most of these will be fixed in 1.0.3?

Reply #11
Issue Post #1 is fixed for me in 1.0.2.1! The working set issue in Post #7 isn't!

Reply #12
Reducing the working set when minimizing is a feature that went away with Vista. And the fact that minimizing to the notification area doesn't reduce the working set in XP is because the window isn't actually minimized, but hidden, and the code in XP to reduce the working set seems to be in the default system command handler for minimizing, which is overridden for the minimize to notification area effect.

It would be possible to work around the issue just for XP users, but what is the point? Paging out a few megabytes of memory that aren't relevant to playback alone?

A minor change is going in to change how the window is minimized to the notification area, to fix an issue with hiding child windows such as Preferences or the Playlist Search. This may or may not "fix" the working set reduction "issue" with Windows XP systems.

Reply #13
Ok. I have no problem with that. Just strange that it obviously was working in 0.9 versions. Other applications I've tested still can do it too when minimizing to system tray ...

Reply #14
FIXED (1.0.3)

Reply #15
Fixed at the expense of other issues, yeah. :\