Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows can't recognize 1st gen iPod (Read 7562 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows can't recognize 1st gen iPod

From what I've read, I'm guessing there is no solution for this, but maybe I just didn't read the right thing.

Windows 7, 64 bit, does not recognize my 1st generation iPod mini. Therefore no program that I might use to load and unload audio data to and from the iPod sees the device. It still works as usual on my old Win98 machine, which is better than nothing, but that requires putting material onto that machine just so I can then transfer it to the iPod.

The problem, as I read it, is lack of a driver. Microsoft says it works, and refers one to an Apple site to download the driver, but no such driver exists on that site. Has anyone found a way to get it to work?

Reply #1
Are you using Apple firmware? My first gen nano has no problems with Rockbox installed.

Reply #2
Windows 7, 64 bit, does not recognize my 1st generation iPod mini. Therefore no program that I might use to load and unload audio data to and from the iPod sees the device. It still works as usual on my old Win98 machine, which is better than nothing, but that requires putting material onto that machine just so I can then transfer it to the iPod.

More a workaround than a real solution: you can create a virtual machine inside the Windows 7, with the free VirtualBox environment and the licensed copy of Win98 install you have from your old machine and try to let the VM see the iPod USB connected to the physical one. With the latest version of VBox and its extensions correctly installed there are good chances it will and you can easily exchange data between the VM and the host.
... I live by long distance.

Reply #3
You need to install the 64 bit version of iTunes:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1427

the 64 bit drivers are part of that installer.

Reply #4

The problem, as I read it, is lack of a driver. Microsoft says it works, and refers one to an Apple site to download the driver, but no such driver exists on that site. Has anyone found a way to get it to work?

The ipods are generic MSC USB devices, just like USB thumb drives.  If your windows install is unable to load its MSC driver, something is very wrong with it.  I would try reinstalling the USB drivers for your system, and failing that, doing a repair install.

Reply #5
I have the 64 bit iTunes. From my reading here and there, there have been quite a few problems with iPods and 64 bit Win7 but maybe they were just early teething difficulties. I've now tried the iPod on another 64 bit Windows Machine and it came up immediately, so I guess there is something peculiar with mine that I will have to get straightened out.

Reply #6
I have the 64 bit iTunes. From my reading here and there, there have been quite a few problems with iPods and 64 bit Win7 but maybe they were just early teething difficulties. I've now tried the iPod on another 64 bit Windows Machine and it came up immediately, so I guess there is something peculiar with mine that I will have to get straightened out.

Do other USB disk drives work on the system?

Reply #7
Flash drives, USB hard drives, hard drives on USB interfaces, card readers, and other music players work fine.

Reply #8
Its possible some other broken driver is trying to associate with the specific ipod usbid.  Not sure how to trouble shoot that though.

Reply #9
Its possible some other broken driver is trying to associate with the specific ipod usbid.  Not sure how to trouble shoot that though.

Is there any system event log record at the time the device is inserted? If it is a software conflict, there should be at least some trace in there.
... I live by long distance.

Reply #10
I don't have any experience with those older iPods (mine is a 3rd-gen Nano), but as far as I know all iPods should function as standard USB external storage...

However, I wouldn't discount the possibility that Apple is doing something subtly non-standard with its iPods. Sometimes when I have my iPod plugged in and try to boot my computer, it'll freeze early in the booting process, before the operating system is even loaded. Seemingly this happens during the phase when the BIOS is scanning for bootable disks (which includes looking for bootable USB drives). Unplugging the iPod resolves this problem, and the computer proceeds to boot as normal.

For reference, I've got an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard, and was unable to find any reports of it having issues booting from USB drives after a quick Googling.

Reply #11
However, I wouldn't discount the possibility that Apple is doing something subtly non-standard with its iPods.

No, they're standard.

Sometimes when I have my iPod plugged in and try to boot my computer, it'll freeze early in the booting process, before the operating system is even loaded.

That is probably normal for a bootable MSC device if you've set your BIOS to check USB before internal disks.