Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some loud samples (Read 9260 times) previous topic - next topic

Some loud samples

For the thread: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=78072

"Merzbow" replay gain -21.04 dB
[attachment=5712:I_Lead_Y...s__live_.flac]
"Garbage" replay gain -13.82 dB
[attachment=5713:Why_Do_Y..._Love_Me.flac]
"AC/DC" replay gain -11.57 dB
[attachment=5714:Let_Me_P...Into_You.flac]

I may remove these quite soon if I need more room.

Some loud samples

Reply #1
I Lead You Towards Glorious Times is live?

I did not know that.

Clearly that had an impact on the sound quality.

Some loud samples

Reply #3
The Garbage excerpt: OMFG, is that really on the CD like that? Even when zooming in on the waveform in my audio editor, I can hardly see any dynamic structure in the waveform. It looks (and sounds) like clipped pink noise.

This is the worst example I have seen so far. What are we doing to our music 

Thanks for sharing!

Chris
If I don't reply to your reply, it means I agree with you.

Some loud samples

Reply #4
A new garbage sample: "Bleed Like Me". The related thread & post: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....st&p=713723

[attachment=5997:Bleed_Like_Me.7z]

The folders and files in the package:
__________________________________________________________________________________________

FOLDER   6000 samples (cymbal crash)\

FILE   6000 samples LAME -V5 decoded to 16-bit int (peaks truncated), adjusted -5dB,  saved to 32-bit float.wav
FILE   6000 samples LAME -V5 decoded to 32-bit float (peaks preserved), adjusted -5dB, saved to 32-bit float.wav
FILE   6000 samples Lossless, adjusted -5dB, saved to 32-bit float.wav
__________________________________________________________________________________________

FOLDER   90000 samples (6000 samples looped 15 times) for ABX testing, 16-bit files\

FILE   90000 samples LAME -V5 peaks preserved (looped, dithered, 16-bit).wav
FILE   90000 samples LAME -V5 peaks truncated (looped, dithered, 16-bit).wav
FILE   90000 samples Lossless (looped, dithered, 16-bit).wav

FOLDER   a 7 sec. clip from source track, cymbal crash at 3.5 s\

FILE   LAME -V5 decoded to 16-bit int (peaks truncated), adjusted -5dB, dithered, 16-bit.flac
FILE   LAME -V5 decoded to 32-bit float (peaks preserved), adjusted -5dB, dithered, 16-bit.flac
FILE   Lossless, adjusted -5dB, dithered, 16-bit.flac

Some loud samples

Reply #5
"I Lead You Towards Glorious Times" - now i get it.. that's the NOISE music genre, which is now taking over metal:( - actually..every music genre has been merged into the NOISE GENRE.

WHAT TO SAY? -> WTF OMFG

also.. i'd like to add that in comparison to this: metallica's death magnetic was flawless in terms of audio quality

Some loud samples

Reply #8
So far "I Lead You Towards Glorious Times (live)" has been the loudest commercially released music track that I have seen. It is pretty close to white noise (not all Merzbow tracks are this extreme). The FLAC -8 bitrate of the sample is 1397 kbps.

Here's the screenshot that I posted in the linked thread:

The encoding settings
FLAC: -8
M4A: QT --tvbr 62 --highest
MP4: Nero -q 0.41
MP3: Lame -V5

It is also interesting to see the peak values of the lossy encodings of it. LAME produces a peak value of 2.73. Apparently the VBR encoders don't even try to achieve a more transparent result by radically increasing the bitrate. Perhaps some kind of sanity check kicks in.