Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New VST adapter for foobar2000 (Read 36369 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: New VST adapter for foobar2000

Reply #100
Thanks a lot for the new plugin, Peter. I would like to suggest a few improvements:

1) Add the ability to create a mapping of outgoing channels to the user himself with the ability to redirect, since many multi-channel vst plugins do not use standard channel layouts. Also, Windows has a maximum of 18 channels, but some VST plugins support more.

2) Add a limit to the input channels on which the effect will work. For example, if the playlist contains tracks 2.0 and 5.1 at the same time, and the effect is set to Upmix 2.0->7.1, then track 5.1 should not be processed by this effect. Similarly for 5.1->9.2 it should only work for tracks with 6 channels.

Reply #101
Peter, please, pleeeeeease :D...

VST UIs as standard, dockable UI elements.

Reply #102
foobar2000 v2.0 beta 24 + foo_dsp_vst3 v0.11.8 (x86)
FabFilter Pro-Q 3 VST3 32-bit

Im apology for my english.
FabFilter stop working when I move forward audio track with seekbar.
If stop and play again or I change track, FabFilter work again.

Any seekbar movement while playing reset VST adapter. Hope this could be solved.

Reply #104
This sounds interesting. I mainly know to use VST in DAW software, what kind of use can I get out of using it in foobar?

Reply #105
The same as whatever you might want to do in a DAW. EQ, reverb, compression, saturation, metering etc. I use it for EQing and crossfeeding my headphones, making general EQ adjustments, testing out new plugins on already familiar material etc.

Reply #106
foobar2000 v2.0 beta 24 + foo_dsp_vst3 v0.11.8 (x86)
FabFilter Pro-Q 3 VST3 32-bit

Im apology for my english.
FabFilter stop working when I move forward audio track with seekbar.
If stop and play again or I change track, FabFilter work again.

Any seekbar movement while playing reset VST adapter. Hope this could be solved.

Same here - https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,122847.msg1026715.html#msg1026715

Reply #107
Hello.
I have been using Foobar v1.6.4 for many years with various vst plugins at the same time, and never had any problems!
Installed Foobar v2.0 and VST 2.x/3.x Adapter and happy life ended....
I can't run VST plugins.
I installed a VST 2.x/3.x Adapter into active DSPs.
I have selected the required VST plugins.
But they can't be launched!
Where do you run these plugins from? In the Wiew-DSP menu, there is one standard equalizer. There are no required plugins!
I need to open three VST plugins at the same time.

Reply #108
The VST chain in your image should first be named and then saved using the DSP chain presets box beneath the list.  Then, selecting the name from the presets box and pressing "Load" will activate that chain.

Putting a "DSP switcher" box on your toolbar will allow you to easily switch to any saved chains using their names (see images).

The "one equalizer" can be chosen as many times as needed from the "available DSPs" list when you are creating your chain.

Reply #109
@NickMan

Does it mean that there is a VST Plugin that cannot be used?
for example:
-FabFilter Saturn 2
-FabFilter Pro-Q3
-Ozone Imager 2

Do you work one (FabFilter Saturn 2) ?
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, SONY WH-ULT900N (ULT WEAR) (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #110
Thank you for your help!
I gave the plugin chain a name and saved it.
I made a DSP switch in the toolbar.

Reply #111
But I still can't enable all plugins at the same time.
It used to be like this:

In foobar v 2, I'd like to have this feature.
This is impossible?

Reply #112
It used to be like this:
OK, I understand now that by "enable" you mean to be able to view and adjust all the VST plugins' GUI interfaces at the same time.  Yes that is not possible now, but I would support adding that feature, also the ability to seek through a song without losing the VST effect which is irritating.

Reply #113
It used to be like this:
OK, I understand now that by "enable" you mean to be able to view and adjust all the VST plugins' GUI interfaces at the same time. 
Yes! Exactly.
I experiment a lot with sound, so I need quick access to the GUI of all plugins.
It used to be like this:
also the ability to seek through a song without losing the VST effect which is irritating.
I've heard of this problem, but I've never experienced it myself.
The only problem was the lack of support for VST3 plugins.

Reply #114
Hello

Is it possible to make this adapter show up automatically each time Foobar starts?

I mean, when I start Foobar, I go then to View > Visualization > Visualize with VST... and then I have to choose a plugin.

And I have to do so each time I close Foobar and start it again.

Is it possible to make Foobar "remember" that each time I launch it, the plugin I chose last time should be loaded with Foobar automatically, without the user having to click View > Visualization > Visualize with VST... again?

Reply #115
@ironmine

Preferences > Playback > DSP Manager > Available DSPs → Active DSPs (VST: 2.x/3.x Adapter)
...click Select VST effect
DSP chain presets <name> → Save

Default UI can be displayed in Toolbar.
"DSP Switcher"
Columns UI: Toolbars > DSP preset
----------
View > Visualization > Visualize with VST... is not a setting.
This function is for display after setting.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, SONY WH-ULT900N (ULT WEAR) (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #116
@ironmine

Preferences > Playback > DSP Manager > Available DSPs → Active DSPs (VST: 2.x/3.x Adapter)
...click Select VST effect
DSP chain presets <name> → Save

Default UI can be displayed in Toolbar.
"DSP Switcher"
Columns UI: Toolbars > DSP preset
----------
View > Visualization > Visualize with VST... is not a setting.
This function is for display after setting.

I have done all that. I also have DSP switcher.

Yes, Foobar starts and the DSP switcher remembers the last chosen plugins preset (so the sound is processed by the VST plugin I selected in the VST adapter), but this VST plugin's window is not shown automatically after Foobar is launched, so I need to click lots of buttons again just to get to the VST plugin parameters.

When I used George Yohng's VST wrapper, it always conveniently showed up automatically every time I launched Foobar.

Reply #117
Do you mean "I want to display VST plugin windows at startup"?
wait for the answer.
Even "Keybord Shortcuts" can only do "Visuzlize with VST".
Neither Popup Panels nor Flowin seem to help.

Reply #119
Is there Visualization Switcher for Foobar, similar to DSP Switcher?

Or any other way how to make Foobar start up with Visualizations according to the user's preferences?

Reply #120
Well, as this new VST adapter is so user-unfriendly and inconvenient for use, I came back to using the good old George Yohng's VST wrapper.

It does not work with Foobar v.2.0 64-bit version, but it works with its 32-bit version.

And it is able to display the VST plugin window at Foobar's startup, just the way I want.

Excuse my bluntness, I cannot help but wonder: why was George Yohng able to create back then (his plugin's webpage was last modified on 2013/10/01) a good reliable user-friendly VST adapter which still works wonderfully up to this day, 10 years later, while the creators of neither the buggy VST adapter 2.4, nor this new hapless VST adapter can repeat his success?

Reply #121
Doesn't work properly with VST3 plugins that adapt to set output. I'm no dev but VST3 should be dynamically taking in "track channel numbers" in a DAW. Plugins like the Halo Upmix use this to adjust themselves automatically.

I tried the Halo Upmix VST3 and it doesn't work, it stays stereo. Setting channel overrides does nothing.

I tried the old VST2 32 bit versions of Halo Upmix with the old 2.4 plugin from a decade ago, and that works, although only in 5.1 i.e. 6 channels.

Ideally, I would use the ASIO component and set up output for my 12 channel ASIO, and use Halo Upmix to upmix stereo music to 7.1.4 . 

This, however, requires letting the VST3 plugin know that it has 12 channels available, so that it can adjust itself.

After that, the wrapper needs to properly output the audio in multichannel.

Reply #122
Why create this VST adapter, if there is no VST plugin window showing when Foobar plays?
What's the point? How to adjust the settings of a vst plugin while music is playing?

Reply #123
How to adjust the settings of a vst plugin while music is playing?
While the music is playing, go to Prefs/Playback/DSP Manager, and in the Active DSPs list click the "..." button next to a VST plugin you have added to your Active list, which will open its GUI and allow you to adjust it during playback.

Granted, it would be nice to have the ability, already requested, to assign an active VST like a Foobar UI Element to a floatable foo_flowin type window, so it could open with Foobar (or not) and be positioned as desired.

Reply #124
Why create this VST adapter, if there is no VST plugin window showing when Foobar plays?
What's the point? How to adjust the settings of a vst plugin while music is playing?

I was thinking the same thing. After reading through the topic and not getting an answer i take it's better to stick with using the 32bit version of Foobar2000 and George Yohng's VST Wrapper.