Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Advanced Crossover (Read 2419 times) previous topic - next topic

Advanced Crossover

I Currently have a pair of transmission line speakers with 2 x 6.5 " woofers and a 1" dome tweeter.

i am currently just using a 2 way crossover at 3.5 khz.

researching a bit more, i found that other in a similar d'appolito configuration, use a crossover which enables both the woofers to handle the low, but only one to handle the mid and then the tweeter to handle the highs.

i have had a good search on the net but cant find anything like this ?

where should i start ?

cheers
Lach

Advanced Crossover

Reply #1
researching a bit more, i found that other in a similar d'appolito configuration, use a crossover which enables both the woofers to handle the low, but only one to handle the mid and then the tweeter to handle the highs.

By definition, this would not be a D'Appolito configuration. A D'Appolito configuration is specifically one of the MTM designs using a crossover slope and driver spacing calculated to the specifications as set forth by Joe D'Appolito to minimize vertical lobing[at and around the crossover band]. Anything else is simply a 'MTM'. What you are asking about is specifically a tapered MTM. If you used the two woofers under the tweeter, it would be commonly called a 2.5 way. It makes no functional difference if you use a tapered design in MTM or MMT configuration, btw. It is a cosmetic choice.

i have had a good search on the net but cant find anything like this ?

You can ask at www.pesupport.com and you will probably find many helpful responses. You can also ask at madisound.com forum, but you may find more helpful advice for beginners at pesupport.

-Chris