Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What Is Scale -1? (Read 3847 times) previous topic - next topic

What Is Scale -1?

hi there, i was reading this post on doom9's forum

__http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=31368&highlight=dvx

and at some point dspguru (author of besweet) asked why not use scale -1 when encoding abr 128kbps mp3s, some said it was redundant but he insisted that it was better to use it, since i didnt know waht it was i always removed it and encoded using only --ap 128, i searched for it here but the possible threads that might have the answer were 100 or 170 replies long (w00t)
so here are my questions, what does scale do and is it really better to use it when encoding abr 128kbps mp3s??

thx in advance
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

What Is Scale -1?

Reply #1
It was actually --scale 1.
-alt-preset uses at low cbr/abr scaling before encoding, because the sound may have audible clipping otherwise. If doing gain modifications later on, it may be at least theoretically better to use --scale 1 which basically means no scaling.

--alt-preset 128 uses by default --scale 0.93 which reduces the amplitude somewhat and possiblity for audible clipping. So when using --alt-preset 128 --scale 1, it uses no scaling.
Juha Laaksonheimo

What Is Scale -1?

Reply #3
hi there, i was reading this post on doom9's forum

__http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=31368&highlight=dvx

and at some point dspguru (author of besweet) asked why not use scale -1 when encoding abr 128kbps mp3s, some said it was redundant but he insisted that it was better to use it, since i didnt know waht it was i always removed it and encoded using only --ap 128, i searched for it here but the possible threads that might have the answer were 100 or 170 replies long (w00t)
so here are my questions, what does scale do and is it really better to use it when encoding abr 128kbps mp3s??

thx in advance

Actually I first advocated the use of "--scale 1" with the --alt-presets for the purpose of transcoding to the doom9 community over a year ago and dspguru adopted it. I've checked with Dibrom about it and confirmed that it is the correct thing to do when transcoding if you are already doing scaling using another method (i.e. mp3gain/postgain or 2-pass azid decoding stage with normalising).

What Is Scale -1?

Reply #4
Actually I first advocated the use of "--scale 1" with the --alt-presets for the purpose of transcoding to the doom9 community over a year ago and dspguru adopted it.

true.

What Is Scale -1?

Reply #5
thx a lot for all the replies
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.