Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: what software uses "band" tag-field as "album artist&qu (Read 4510 times) previous topic - next topic

what software uses "band" tag-field as "album artist&qu

I understand that the original purpose of the TPE2 field, in id3v2 tags, was not "album artist" but rather was band/orchestra/performer (potentially especially useful for tagging of classical music).
However, this tag field has become the the de facto standard for "album artist."
Among players that read and write some kind of "album artist" tag, I think almost all use the TPE2 field for this. As far as I know, foobar2000 (which uses %album artist% and leaves Band as a separate, user-specifiable field) is the only major software which doesn't use TPE2 for album artist, as default.
But I'm curious - is foobar2000 the only software not on board with TPE2 as the de facto standard for album artist, or are there others as well?

edit: I'm pretty sure I typed the subject line as "album artist", not "album artist&qu
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #1
As far as media player software, I know that XMPlay 3.5 does this.

Regarding the "Album Artist" and "Band" tags as created/modified in Foobar2000, XMPlay will show the "Album Artist" tag as "ALBUM ARTIST" (all caps), and the "Band" tag as TPE2.

Reply #2
MusicBee can recognize both tags and display as 'Album Artist'. If 'TPE2' and 'TXXX/ALBUM ARTIST' are present in the file together, the second one take precedence (i.e. displayed as 'Album Artist').
When writing tags, MusicBee writes 'Album Artist' by default to 'TPE2' tag, but custom tag 'TXXX/ALBUM ARTIST' can also be created.

Reply #3
iTunes, MediaMonkey and mp3tag all use the BAND tag for Album Artist.

edit: ...or is this the same as the TPE2 tag you're referring to?  mp3tag and fb2k both show whatever I enter into the Album Artist field in iTunes or MediaMonkey as being stored in the "BAND" tag, as well as storing it there themselves...I don't think I've ever seen "TPE2".
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #4
You need a Hex editor to see the real tag. What you see in the GUI is just a developer's decision.
BTW, in mp3tag you can map the real tags so they can be displayed as you wish.

Reply #5
edit: ...or is this the same as the TPE2 tag you're referring to?  mp3tag and fb2k both show whatever I enter into the Album Artist field in iTunes or MediaMonkey as being stored in the "BAND" tag, as well as storing it there themselves...I don't think I've ever seen "TPE2".

TPE2 is the frame, BAND is the name of the tag stored in that frame.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #6
Ah, got it, thanks!
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #7
TPE2 is the frame, BAND is the name of the tag stored in that frame.

Thanks for clarifying, sorry for my slightly-mixed-up terminology.
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320