Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Your advice about a FRENCH newspaper article (Read 5520 times) previous topic - next topic

Your advice about a FRENCH newspaper article

The following article is telling us that MP3 (or any compressed file I'd say) is bad for your audition...

"Unfortunately", it's in french. Sorry for those who don't understand french but that's the only place on the net where I can get experts advice.

Le Monde

Reply #1
Advice: Ignore. Skip debunking of the "enemy". Focus on education of "friends". Inform more people that large news-providers are not trustworthy and mostly spread desinformation. Enlighten people about the joy of destroying ones own TV brutally.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #2
My french is very bad so a bit of quesswork:
As far as I could judge it’s the usual mix of
compression (MP3 style ,removing information) and
compression ( limiting the dynamic range)
With strong dynamic compression and playing loud your ears are exposed to continuous sound pressure at a high level. This might cause hearing loss on the long run.
As far as I know there is know evidence that MP3 sec is harmful
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #3
Probably completely ommited in the article (because its uncomfortable and not as easy as pointing fingers):

The entire current mainstream culture is telling people on all communication channels over and over, that "over the top" - escallation and inflation - is GOOD! With this, i do not specifically mean music, but everything. It is hypocritical, to tell people everywhere that KABOOOOM!!!! is good, and then blaming them for acting like that.... or even more stupid: Blaming the tools for the phenomenon.

Want to reduce loudness abuse? Then tell them about the goodness of dynamics and subtle things. Problem is: That would be lots of work, because you'd need to accept how fucked up the situation really is. Not really in line with making money quickly and providing quick solutions. And surely not in line with a 10 second attention span.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #5
I'm french. The article basically denounces the loudness trend, how dynamic compression and playing music too loud (at parties or in the subway) is damaging. For some reason it puts the MP3 format in the basket; it seems to suggest that using MP3 compression calls for using dynamic compression as well. I think the author got confused about the two.

Reply #6
According to the author, people don't dance anymore because of MP3. What next? MP3 causes global warming? MP3 ruins the amazonian forest? MP3 eats your childen?

Maybe Le Monde is trying to become an humoristic newspaper.

Reply #8
MP3 is a gateway drug. Think it's ok to listen to -V5? In five weeks you'll be out on the streets prostituting yourself for dope money.

Reply #10
According to the author, people don't dance anymore because of MP3. What next? MP3 causes global warming? MP3 ruins the amazonian forest? MP3 eats your childen?

Maybe Le Monde is trying to become an humoristic newspaper.

budding I.T professional

Reply #11
advice? don't read newspapers.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #12
  More info please.

Here's what the author write:
« Mais un ou deux détails signalent qu'on a radicalement changé d'époque. D'abord, les ordinateurs portables, laptops, et autres clés USB ont remplacé les platines vinyles qui avaient pourtant connu une nouvelle jeunesse il y a quelques années. Ensuite, le volume est beaucoup plus fort. Et surtout personne ne danse : un comble. Pourquoi et comment en est-on arrivé là ? La réponse pourrait tenir en deux lettres et un chiffre : MP3. »

In quick english:
"Two [emphasis is mine] details are telling us that time has radically changed. Firstly, laptops, laptops [apparently, the author thinks that laptops are something different than portable computers] and other USB devices have replaced vinyls that people recently used again. Then, volume is much louder. And finally [that makes three details, not two…] people don't danse anymore [during parties]: that's the limit! Why and how did this happen? The answer may fit in 2 letters and one number: MP3."

There's no additional explanations in the two pages the author quickly wrote. I suppose that the relation between MP3 and the fact people don't dance anymore [did someone else noticed that?] is obvious enough for our author to not give further explanation to its readers.

Reply #13
Quel abruti !