Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: why not cross bitrate listening test (Read 4348 times) previous topic - next topic

why not cross bitrate listening test

it seem alot of the people going from mp3 to AAC are asking the question: " what bitrate for aac compares to my old bitrate/settings of xxx".

so i'm suggestion rjamorim (because im to lazy) to make a xross bitrate testing of aac and mp4

64 he-aac
80 aac
96 aac
96 mp3
128 aac
128 mp3
160mp3
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #1
Personally I believe that this would be interesting, but not particularily useful. When you test at specific bitrates you know which encoder is best at that bitrate and (hopefully) use that one if you have a target bitrate/size. Comparing codecs at different bitrates would only be interesting at a descriptive level. It won't tell you which codec to use.

Reply #2
so i'm suggestion rjamorim (because im to lazy) to make a xross bitrate testing of aac and mp4

Why always RJAmorim ? Imagine if there were 20 different RJAmorim running 20 listening test at the same time.
It's up to you to make this true.

Reply #3
There is some EBU paper which includes results of a test like this albeit it is several years old it still tells something about quality.

Reply #4
Personally I believe that this would be interesting, but not particularily useful. When you test at specific bitrates you know which encoder is best at that bitrate and (hopefully) use that one if you have a target bitrate/size. Comparing codecs at different bitrates would only be interesting at a descriptive level. It won't tell you which codec to use.

i so agree but the reason for doing this kind test its not to choose the best codec. but rather to find out how much bits you can save and still have the same quality, when switching codec
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #5

that's a good point, I think he will be delighted, keeping in mind he talked about to quit conducting test for some time now. and while we're at it, I also want Roberto to write my examn and to clean my house... you know, because I'm too lazy myself.
/sarcasm mode off   
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)