Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Another problem sample for MPC (Read 5316 times) previous topic - next topic

Another problem sample for MPC

Another problem sample for MPC 1.14 xlevel standard.
Tristesse de la Lune - A Heart Whose Love is Innocent track 11 - Desire.

Drop outs in the word "says" of the sentence "She says..."

By the way, I just sent a message to the label, asking them to "stop the loudness race"

ABX 10/10

Reply #1
I was lost with this one but when I started listening to the 's' in 'says' in got a few positives  but not enough - I have to try again later. BTW - is the 's' harsher that the original ?

1st: 5/9

2nd: 5/7 

total: 10/16

Reply #2
I can't pick out the artifact, either (ABX 53/100, but who's counting ). I had much better luck with your FSOL sample. I'll sleep on it and try again.

Reply #3
Yes this one is harder...
As always, I realized the problem during casual listening. I didn't even know the album. The MPC was my first listening of it. This is usually how I find samples.
But every time, the watery artifacts that I hear are already in the original. It is the case here. But here, they are worsened in the MPC version.

I don't know if my finds are random (I ABX randomly, and sometimes find samples that are audibly worsened), or if choosing watery parts for ABX increases the probability of finding problems, or if I directly hear real artifacts.
Guruboolez once chose a sample completely randomly, and managed to ABX it at quality 5. Xerophase said he could hear the quality 5 problems permanently, and he proved it with ABX results, and a sample that, though very hard, we could ABX too.

This sample is interesting. When I first tried to ABX, I was not sure that there really was a difference between the original and the encoded file. So I let it rest, listening to another track. Then back to ABX, I played A, then B, then X, and gave the first answer. Then I couldn't hear the difference anymore. After having listened to another track, I could give another answer, then couldn't hear the difference. Same for the third answer, but, trying for the 4th time, I suddenly became aware of an obvious problem in the voice.
Then I could instantly finish 6 more sessions, in several seconds. There was no need to concentrate anymore, I had just found exactly when, where, and what to listen to ! I just had to click X and give my answer.

Reply #4
It seems i have one more problem mpc sample too, but...I don't have an orginal wave to verify my opinion.  The sample is Sting "Brand New Day" album - track1 - "Thousand Years". It is heard good enough at ~3.24-3.26.I hope someone could check it or maybe provide with lossless cut of this track.

Reply #5
Does the artifact persist at higher settings, BTW?

Reply #6
The album is encoded using "insane" preset.

Reply #7
It seems i have one more problem mpc sample too, but...I don't have an orginal wave to verify my opinion.  The sample is Sting "Brand New Day" album - track1 - "Thousand Years". It is heard good enough at ~3.24-3.26.I hope someone could check it or maybe provide with lossless cut of this track.

There are lots of weird noises to be heard in regular CD audio, if you are listening closely enough.  I think it is doubtfull that you heard an artifact, although I might be able to get an origonal to see for sure.  It seemes to me, IIRC, that my mother has a copy of this album  .

edit: changed a difference to an artifact.  Makes more sense now.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #8
Does the artifact persist at higher settings, BTW?

I don't know. I don't have the time to test. I'll reencode the track at a higher seeting anyway. All problems are reduced at higher settings.