Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tuned Vorbis: Pre-echo improved (Read 12501 times) previous topic - next topic

Tuned Vorbis: Pre-echo improved

QKTune beta 1

This is an (unoptimised) win32 binary of the Vorbis which I tried tuning myself.  The tunings are aimed at reducing pre-echo only and that is the only part I modified from the original 1.0.1 source code.

Vendor tag is: Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20030909 (QKTune beta 1) EXPERIMENTAL

This is experimental so the quality of the files produced is uncertain.

The relevant thread is here

Reply #1
QKTune beta 2

This is a better tuned version with further reductions in pre-echo with q 2, 3, 4, and 5.  Also, shifted stereo modes down so q 2 and 3 should sound more "stereophonic".

Note that the bitrates produced are slightly higher too because of the above modifications.

Vendor tag:  Xiph.Org libVorbis I 20030909 (QKTune beta 2)

Try it and tell me how it goes.

Reply #2
QKTune beta 3 (more like beta 2.1 but oh well)  Seems to have a positive effect on the HF boost problem, esp. on nyaochi's 8823.flac sample at q 4.  Only change from beta 2 is at q 4.

For testing only.  The bitrate goes up quite a lot so I wouldn't recommend this for mainstream use. 

Relevant thread

EDIT:  Deleted binary.  Bitrate is too high for a barely tangible improvement. 

Reply #3
QKTune beta 3.1

This is QKTune beta 3.1, a second attempt at reducing HF boost/hiss.  Bitrates are now comparable with beta 2 (ie.  not skyrocketting like beta 3).

Some radical changes have been made to the stereo coupling mechanisms which are unproven and may very well break quality, so this is for TESTING ONLY!!

Report unwanted and displeasurable distortions HERE

Reply #4
QKTune Beta 3.2 (Final)

Changes:

- Uses less aggressive point stereo compensation
- Implements 'partial point stereo' where some diffuse information (like reverberations) is retained

As usual, report displeasurable quality problems HERE

UPDATE:  Final and frozen version of beta 3.2.  I've sorted out all the bugs with compiling in VS.NET and some minor pre-echo adjustments.

Reply #5
are you making the libvorbis sources available too?

later

Reply #6
are you making the libvorbis sources available too?

later

Not yet.  I'll release the libvorbis sources soon, when I feel I've ironed out most of the problems associated with the changes to the stereo mechanism.  There are a lot of question marks in what I'm doing so I want to be sure whether there is a better way of doing it first.

Reply #7
QKTune beta 3.3

Changes:

- replaced angle calculation with something similar to what is done in lossless coupling

This highly experimental release may give worser quality than beta 3.2.

Reply #8
QKTune beta 3.4

Changes:

- we set the angle to 0

This highly experimental release may give worser quality than beta 3.2.

Reply #9
QKTune beta 3.5 Classical Edition

This is an experimental tuning to address some noise issues in classical music at q 4 only.

Changes:

- Different point stereo 'hack'
- Tuned to (hopefully) reduce 'graininess/coarseness' in classical instruments

Report any displeasurable artifacts HERE.

Thank you.