Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ffmpeg decoder usage (Read 688 times) previous topic - next topic

ffmpeg decoder usage

I believe I've correctly configured ffmpeg decoder to work on AIFF files.  However, I have no clue how to actually make it work.

I'm under the impression I can use it to decompress an AIFF file and return it to WAV format.  Is that correct?  If so, how does one go about doing it?

Thanks

Re: ffmpeg decoder usage

Reply #1
aiff decoding is included in CUETools 2.2.5 and does not need to be added
(I mentioned in https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?msg=1039574)
but the included decoder requires the ffmpeg.dll plugin which requires additional files to be downloaded.
(I mentioned adding required dll files for the plugin in https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?msg=1039576)

Or you can get them from the download page http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Download#FFmpeg_plugin_dependencies
korth

Reply #2
Yes, I have the dll files.  I downloaded when I initially downloaded CueTools.  The problem is I don't know what to do with those files (I put them in the plugins x64 folder).  I only downloaded CueTools last week so am a real novice in using it.  

Given I have the dll files, I'm assuming there is no need for ffmpeg decoder.  Should I delete all mention of it in the CueTools?  If so, what's the nuts & bolts of using the decoder?

Reply #3
Make sure the ffmpeg.dll decoder is selected on the Formats tab. CUETools is expecting files that have the .aiff extension.

To convert .aiff to .wav
Action: Encode
Audio Output: Lossless
Audio File Format: wav

If you added the ffmpeg.exe decoder yes you can remove it by selecting it on the Decoders tab and pressing Delete on the keyboard or clicking the "-" button on the tab.
korth

Reply #4
Okay, I see one problem.  I don't have the ffmpeg.dll file.  I only have the .exe file.   Is the dll available under CueTools or should I find it under the site that I downloaded the ffmpeg.exe file?

Reply #5
ffmpeg.dll is built-in (included)
It is located at \plugins\CUETools.Codecs.ffmpegdll.dll
korth

Reply #6
Okay, but it doesn't show up as a option under the AIFF format drop down. I must have goofed something up.

Update - I forgot to update the decoder name when I replaced. the exe file with the dll (I used the entire name CUETools.Codecs.ffmpegdll.dll) in the decoder settings menu. So now it shows up under the formats menu.

Assuming it works, what's the next step to running it?

Reply #7
Edit: See Reply#3 "To convert .aiff to .wav" (I don't know what Input method you're using)
korth

Reply #8
Sorry, I missed the actions to take on your reply #3.  So I'm using the multi-select input option.  I have a folder with 12 Aiff files in it.
 I select that the item that says 12 files and run the options you suggested.  I get the message - CUETools.Codecs.ffmpegdll.dll: The system cannot find the file specified.

I continue to play with it am now getting "CUETools.Codecs.ffmpegdll.dll: The specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform"  Strange as I didn't change anything except put the full path in the decoder settings menu.  Maybe this won't run on my old laptop running Windows 8?

Reply #9
Assuming you "unzipped" the entire archive, did you make sure all zip files were "unblocked"?
Known Issues When Unpacking the Archive

You left CUETools.Codecs.ffmpegdll.dll in its original location?

There is no need to setup a decoder for aiff as it is already built-in

korth

Reply #10
It appears most all of the files are blocked.  I'll unblock and try again.

Reply #11
Okay, unblocking all the files fixed the issues.  Thanks so much for your help.  I would never have thought to look to see if they were blocked.