Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME versions (Read 37113 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME versions

Hi people,

Just wondering if LAME is still in development. There seems to be a lot less activity in LAMe now and I was wondering if 3.93.1 is going to be the definitive in "best" quality for recording in .mp3 format.

There used to be a lot more activity in relases and forum discussion/testing and seing as though Car stereos still don't include the.ogg format the next choice is .wma.

Is this what we can expect or is LAME still comparable and under development.
Half the links to developent discussions don't even work any more.

LAME versions

Reply #1
I was wondering if 3.93.1 is going to be the definitive in "best" quality for recording in .mp3 format.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255421"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Where did you get that from? The recommended version is still 3.90.3 or the latest 3.96.1
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

LAME versions

Reply #2
3.96.1 came out in july i believe, that's pretty recent.

LAME versions

Reply #3
Right, but version 3.93.1 is pretty old
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

LAME versions

Reply #4
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255542"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

...yes, and you shouldn't use it either...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

LAME versions

Reply #5
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255542"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

...yes, and you shouldn't use it either...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255721"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

woops, I meant 3.90.3
3.90.3 is also very old. I understand it's supposed to be the best sounding. It is why I was asking if LAME was at the end of it's development as no movement (sorry I mean movement as in quality getting better with newer versions, ie: this is the best version) has been seen from 3.90.3 for a long time now and although there are more resent versions, releases seem more and more infrequent and still not recomended over ther 3.90.3 version.

Just after opinions as to if the .mp3 format is dead, I mean dead as in people are more interested in "other" formats now and so concentrate less on LAME.

LAME versions

Reply #6
(...) releases seem more and more infrequent  (...)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's a joke?
[a href=\"http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/lame/lame/doc/html/history.html?rev=1.70]http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/lame...y.html?rev=1.70[/url]

3.95 - 3.95.1 - 3.96 - 3.96.1 - 3.97 alpha 1-> 4 were released this year, which was a very productive one.

and still not recomended over ther 3.90.3 version.
Generally speaking, lame 3.90.3 recommandations are done by people which can't ABX 3.90.3 over 3.96 (fortunately, there are exceptions). I wouldn't trust 95% of these parrots people.

LAME versions

Reply #7
I prefer LAME 3.96.1 over LAME 3.90.3
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.

LAME versions

Reply #8
I prefer LAME 3.96.1 over LAME 3.90.3
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256140"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

3.96.1 should be especially appealing for car stereos given the improvements it offers at lower bitrates, not to mention encoding is competitvely fast, and i haven't been able to abx the fast presets from the normal ones despite the filesizes are a bit smaller. whatever samples people have found regression in are more than made up for in improvements at portable-friendly bitrates since so many have them. getting more transparent(esp. with road noise) onto a disc faster can only be a good thing.

LAME versions

Reply #9
LAME 3.96 is 2X faster than 3.90.3 especialy with "preset" 
an abvious advantage of 3.96 over 3.90

LAME versions

Reply #10
You're all also forgetting Takehiro's work on LAME4.0. This is currently at Alpha 11.

Last time I did this, I got into trouble  , but here goes -  you can d/l an exe of the latest 4.0 alpha 11 build from: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/lame4.0a11.zip. But please remember this is an alpha build for testing only. This is purely for people to see how things are going. This is not to be used for archival, nor do I believe Takehiro is particulalry interested in detailed feedback at this time. When he's ready for this, he'll request it.

LAME versions

Reply #11
You're all also forgetting Takehiro's work on LAME4.0. This is currently at Alpha 11.

Last time I did this, I got into trouble  , but here goes -  you can d/l an exe of the latest 4.0 alpha 11 build from:
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256157"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree, you shouldn't post this since there is no point in using it (unless you are bored)...it's even more dangerous than the 3x alpha releases...

LAME versions

Reply #12
any info on when lame 4 is going to "air"?

LAME versions

Reply #13

Last time I did this, I got into trouble  , but here goes -  you can d/l an exe of the latest 4.0 alpha 11 build from: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/lame4.0a11.zip. But please remember this is an alpha build for testing only. This is purely for people to see how things are going. This is not to be used for archival, nor do I believe Takehiro is particulalry interested in detailed feedback at this time. When he's ready for this, he'll request it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256157"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do you know what the goals for 4.0 are?  Will it be significantly different from 3x?

LAME versions

Reply #14
Do you know what the goals for 4.0 are?  Will it be significantly different from 3x?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=257188"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LAME4 is now in the late-alpha stage. One of its final goal is to define the goal

Current LAME4's Main goal is "destory all the obstacles to improve the quality/speed, which is made by OLD code".
"Improving quality" itself is not current goal, but "to lay the foundations for it" is the goal.

Maybe after archiving this goal, I will do the next goal (improving quality by tuning the parameters). That will be beta stages' work, after Christmas or the new year.

edit: tag is not closed. oops.
May the source be with you! // Takehiro TOMINAGA

LAME versions

Reply #15
Do you know what the goals for 4.0 are?  Will it be significantly different from 3x?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=257188"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LAME4 is now in the late-alpha stage. One of its final goal is to define the goal

Current LAME4's Main goal is "destory all the obstacles to improve the quality/speed, which is made by OLD code".
"Improving quality" itself is not current goal, but "to lay the foundations for it" is the goal.

Maybe after archiving this goal, I will do the next goal (improving quality by tuning the parameters). That will be beta stages' work, after Christmas or the new year.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=257995"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i must suppose that by "improving the quality/speed" you mean to improve the speed but maintain the lame 3.9x quality, right?

LAME versions

Reply #16

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=257995"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i must suppose that by "improving the quality/speed" you mean to improve the speed but maintain the lame 3.9x quality, right?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258044"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

...and hopefully get rid of 'Stereo' (and use JS instead), unsafe JS, CBR-Encoding and stupid command lines that either bloat filesize and don't achive anything in terms of quality - or making a file sound worse at a bitrate were better sound could be achived

LAME versions

Reply #17
Well, if someone wants to take over the frontends for v4, the position is open.
We will use v4 to clean some features of the frontends, but Takehiro's time is more usefull inside the encoder.

LAME versions

Reply #19
Would it be possible to have mp3gain in Lame 4.0 ?
Death is the one thing we all face

LAME versions

Reply #20
Sorry, if I missed this, but is Intensity Stereo planned for LAME 4.0?

Yes

This is possible with ANY mp3 encoder.

LAME versions

Reply #21
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258097"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LAME 3.96.1 already writes ReplayGain information to the LAME header. However, there is no application supporting this AFAIK.

LAME versions

Reply #22
Well, if someone wants to take over the frontends for v4, the position is open.
We will use v4 to clean some features of the frontends, but Takehiro's time is more usefull inside the encoder.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258077"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

what you mean by frontend?

LAME versions

Reply #23
what you mean by frontend?

The frontends are lame.exe, lame.dll, acm codec, directshow filter.

LAME versions

Reply #24
This is possible with ANY mp3 encoder.

LAME 3.96.1 already writes ReplayGain information to the LAME header. However, there is no application supporting this AFAIK.

(Apologizes in advanced I new to this  )

On my portables the replaygain does not do seem to do anything. I think the
hardware just skips this. Mp3 gain changes the a value about loudness in the
frames ? 

I think it would be realy cool if lame could take a second pass if say --mp3gain
was enabled to change the files gain to avoid the clipping.

Also is the q 0 switch fixed. I have no real regard for encoding time. But like
to know the huffman coding is making the files small. (or have i got this wrong  )
Death is the one thing we all face