Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do I rip audio from an MDF of an audio CD? (Read 2875 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I rip audio from an MDF of an audio CD?

I tried importing it as raw data, you can kind of hear music, but there is a noise that gets in the way. I tried using this software simply called MDF audio extracter, but when I use it, all it does is say that it's converting the first file, but it isn't. Either that, or it's extremely slow, because I left my PC on overnight and it still says it's converting the track, which is only about 13 MB. I then tried converting it to ISO but it didn't work. I then tried multiple softwares to try to mount it to a drive, but I kept looking for enough software to find out it won't work on Windows (I read that on another forum). What should I do?
Find the secret message in this code xxgf168hru3cscau8t33bk1gctfgbxiz00fjqi5ihl9ai1i8su

Re: How do I rip audio from an MDF of an audio CD?

Reply #1
I would use Daemon Tools to mount the disc image and then use a CD ripper. Or IsoBuster to open the image directly without installing a virtual drive. The trial version should be able to extract audio tracks. Tools that work with the ISO format generally only deal with the data track. You have to open the accompanying MDS file to see audio tracks.

I don't believe MDF is compressed, so, in case you don't have an MDS, opening it as raw with the right sample format (signed, stereo, little-endian), should work. But there could be a new variety of the format with subchannels or something.

Reply #2
...I've never used an MDF file.  ...To me MDF is medium density fiberboard, sometimes used to make speaker cabinets.   ;)

I tried importing it as raw data, you can kind of hear music, but there is a noise that gets in the way.
Did you try a different offset?  i.e  If the offset is wrong the high & low bytes of the 16-bit sample will be reversed.   If that's the "noise issue" just incrementing by one (switching from odd to even or vice versa) will fix it. 

Then, if the left & right channels are reversed (and if you can tell) increment by 2 more.  

It it's still not right, try a different big-endian, little-endian setting.

There will be some (probably very-short duration) noise at the beginning and/or end where the non-audio data gets converted to audio so you'll have to edit that out.

Reply #3
MDF/MDS also has the subchannel data interleaved with the raw audio.

Reply #4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Descriptor_File

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDemu is listed as software which can read it, and it's apparently also open source: https://sourceforge.net/p/cdemu/code/ci/master/tree/

therefore it should be possible to read the code and recover the format specification from it.
or just use it to mount the disk if your OS is supported.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed