Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Metadata in Speex encoded files (Read 5444 times) previous topic - next topic

Metadata in Speex encoded files

I can't find anything about metadata-handling in speex files on speex.org, so could someone please enlighten me?

Does Speex use vorbis comments? If not, does anyone know where I can find some information about speex tags?

~ Florian

Reply #1
Hi Florian,

Yes, Speex uses Vorbis Comments.

http://www.vergenet.net/~conrad/sounds/tex...extual_data.txt

1.8 Ogg Vorbis, Speex
---------------------

Ogg Vorbis [5] is an audio compression format designed for "mid to
  high quality" recordings of audio and music. Speex [6] is a low bitrate
  voice codec. The normal file storage method for these codecs is an Ogg
  bitstream, for which both make use of "Vorbis comment"[7] packets.

Addition: Ogg FLAC also makes use of Vorbis Comments.

Regards,
Sebastian Mares

Reply #2
Hi Sebastian,

that's fine  Thanks for the information!

Regards,
~ Florian

Reply #3
Speex uses Vorbis comments -like tagging which is stored in packet number 1. Official speexenc encodes the tags incorrectly (no UTF-8) but otherwise it's good source for checking how the tagging works.

Reply #4
Case, thanks for the details - I'll have a look at this.

Reply #5
Case, I've just noticed the speexfile class in foo_speex and want to ask you if I may reuse portions of your code?

~ Florian

Reply #6
Case, I've just noticed the speexfile class in foo_speex and want to ask you if I may reuse portions of your code?

~ Florian

Sure. That's why the code is open.

Reply #7

~ Florian

Sure. That's why the code is open.

Thanks

BTW: I've noticed some minor issues and posted some thougths about speexfile at this topic.