Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: how do I indentify MP3Pro files using MrQ/EncSpot (Read 7533 times) previous topic - next topic

how do I indentify MP3Pro files using MrQ/EncSpot

Hello, I used to rip my CDs into MP3Pro. I now know better and use EAC with LAME. My collection is now muddled and I don't know which are MP3s and which are MP3Pro's.

I have used MrQuestionMan and EncSpot and while it tells me the codec I do not know which one is MP3Pro. They are displayed as MPEG 1 Layer 3 followed by Blade, FhG, LAME, Shine, Xing and so on.

I have spent the afternoon searching this forum and Googling. I am now going round in circles. Please clarify things for me. 

Which one is MP3Pro? 

Reply #1

I should be grateful if you would tell me how to identify MP3Pro files using MrQ or EncSpot.

Reply #2
For normal MP3 file, encspot should show it is MPEG-1 layer 3,
for mp3pro, it should be MPEG-2 layer 3, sample rate is 22050Hz...

Sorry if my reply isn't good enough...

Reply #3

Sorry if my reply isn't good enough...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=264449"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Many thanks yong that's just what I wanted 

Reply #4

If the sample rate is 22050Hz then the file is not necessarily mp3pro. The converse is true though, so if a file's sample rate is 22050Hz then this file is a candidate for being mp3pro. You can open such files with winamp to figure out. You must have the mp3pro plugin installed for this to work.

Reply #5

If the sample rate is 22050Hz then the file is not necessarily mp3pro. The converse is true though, so if a file's sample rate is 22050Hz then this file is a candidate for being mp3pro. You can open such files with winamp to figure out. You must have the mp3pro plugin installed for this to work.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=264684"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think if anykey finds any 22kHz mp3 (non-pro) files on his computer he should probably get rid of those as well .
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #6

Yes yes, you have to figure out yourself, with audio player.
sometime is hard to tell which file is normal mp3 or mp3pro,
if you encode a wav file with lame with --lowpass 11 switch,
the mp3 file will be MPEG-2 layer 3...(don't know the sample rate, might same as 22050Hz)  , but encspot will tell you the mp3 file have LAME header.

Usually the encspot will show the encoder is Fhg if the file is mp3pro.

Reply #7

I think if anykey finds any 22kHz mp3 (non-pro) files on his computer he should probably get rid of those as well .
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=264692"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank You music_man. That is good advice. However I hope I don't have any that bad 

Reply #8

Thank You geopoul. With your help I am now begginning to understand this. I find it so confusing, but I am gradually getting rid of the poor quality stuff and redoing the ripping with EAC and LAME. 

Reply #9
You can open such files with winamp ....

My reference to winamp should not be missunderdtood. I don't use this program

Reply #10
You can open such files with winamp ....

My reference to winamp should not be missunderdtood. I don't use this program
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=264952"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
it's ok geopoul, it goes without saying 

However, what can you tell me of a pc mp3 player called Billy...

Reply #11
A while back I wrote a command line utility which uses Thomson's free mp3PRO Winamp plug-in to detect mp3PRO files and renames them. Get it here: http://threekings.tk/download/mp3tyre.rar

Reply #12
A while back I wrote a command line utility which uses Thomson's free mp3PRO Winamp plug-in to detect mp3PRO files and renames them. Get it here: http://threekings.tk/download/mp3tyre.rar

That utility would be wonderful. The link is broken now. Can you upload it elsewhere ?
Many thanks!

Reply #14
ooooh. ... sorry, somehow I thought it was something very experimental and unknown so I didn't even search. I pledge not to sin again ...