Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack in VLC? (Read 28134 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack in VLC?

Reply #25
I know it's bad and not based on libwavpack. It doesn't do hybrid modes iirc. Just wanted to tell that.

WavPack in VLC?

Reply #26
Just a note, the ffmpeg wavpack decoder is not very good. It completely ignores floating point stuff, anything with more than 2 channels. Bitrates other than 16 bits are not doing well either (some give very loud distorted noise others are just opened). Basicly 16 bits stereo works, probably mono and maybe 8 bits, other than that it seems to be bad.

This is unique though because (as Mangix says) it's the first independently written WavPack decoder (and it was certainly a lot of work). As soon as I get a little free time I am going to try to update it myself with more functionality (handling --optimize-mono files should be a pretty easy first step). I almost fixed a reported bug a couple weeks ago, but the author beat me to it! 

WavPack in VLC?

Reply #27
Hi, kicking a more than a year old thread.

I normally use VLC to play my files (at least at linux) and having recently discovered this format for lossless tracks I wanted to take advantage of the hybrid mode (with correction that is).

Unfortunately VLC (and therefore mplayer) still doesn't support the hybrid mode. Apparently no more work has gone into it after implementing seeking, other than adding support for muxing the format on video containers the development is dead on it.

Pretty please,
Care to give developers a hand and finish it?

Being able to carry the just the lossy files without having to reencode the every track is really convinient.

Thanks for this and specially the format

WavPack in VLC?

Reply #28
I pulled 9.4 from debian experimental. Only lossless wavpack played ok but no hybrid.