Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AudioSAFE (Read 152993 times) previous topic - next topic

AudioSAFE

Reply #75
Sorry, I missed that.
"I hear it when I see it."

AudioSAFE

Reply #76
What is to stop a bored bittorrent kiddie from just endlessly uploading music (with no future aspirations of ever "restoring")?

AudioSAFE

Reply #77
What would be the point of that, especially if it cost money to get music back?

AudioSAFE

Reply #78
Will the audiosafe client monitor your music collection for changes and automatically pick-up and synchronise those changes?
daefeatures.co.uk

AudioSAFE

Reply #80
Can it run as a 'portable' program (no installation, no registry etc.)?
If not, that would be my feature request.

AudioSAFE

Reply #81
Sorry that will not be possible. The design is install and forget, 99% of the time you would not even know it is there (save for an icon on the notify area).

AudioSAFE

Reply #82
Is that model not dangerous for a backup program?  Or is there a way to restore from a prior state?

I've only lost data due to a hard drive failure once since 1982, but have lost data three times due to bad RAM.  The most recent time was a few years back while replaygaining many albums (unbeknownst to be with a bad memory stick).  Long story short, about 10% of the files in that batch operation ended up corrupted and needed reripped.

If the audiosafe client monitor had been running in the background, monitoring and uploading, would it have updated my (corrupt) changes?  Would I be able to restore from the good point before said changes?
Creature of habit.

AudioSAFE

Reply #83
Current + Previous are stored, so a virus which corrupts the whole collection would be recoverable, even if those corrupted changes were uploaded.

AudioSAFE

Reply #84
I'm very interested in this service. If the pricing is sensible it'll be something I can see myself using.

Good luck with this spoon.
daefeatures.co.uk

AudioSAFE

Reply #85
Isn't this susceptible to client reverse-engineering? If someone reverse-engineered the protocol, couldn't they mirror whatever music already on the server into their account without uploading anything?

AudioSAFE

Reply #86
The server will not give out audio except that which is attributed to your account, no reverse engineering will help that. Pretty much like how funds in your bank are not easily transferred into another account, it is not in the interest of AudioSafe to allow this, or the banks.

Lets not for one minute think every designed system is impenetrable, but in this instance I think there is little incentive to do so, as the restore would be paid for.

AudioSAFE

Reply #87
Current + Previous are stored, so a virus which corrupts the whole collection would be recoverable, even if those corrupted changes were uploaded.

Thank you for the response.  I assume that means just the immediately prior state is saved, no manual restore points?

Let me lay out what I think is a quite plausible scenario:
1 - Client installed
2 - Uncorrupted files added to collection
3 - Client syncs to safe
4 - Damage occurs (through user stupidity or malicious software or hardware failure)
5 - Client automagically syncs (unbeknownst to it) damaged files to safe.
6 - User edits tags.
7 - Client automagically syncs to safe.

So if a user notices damage after #5 they are protected, but if they don't notice damage until after #7 they are out of luck?
Creature of habit.

AudioSAFE

Reply #88

Thank you for the response.  I assume that means just the immediately prior state is saved, no manual restore points?

If it syncs more or less continuously then one change back wouldn't make much sense. If one operation (from the user's point of view) changes 10 files, that could count as 10 states.

I would hope that "previous" means any previous state for some reasonable amount of time (or maybe since creation of the initial backup.)

AudioSAFE

Reply #89
If it syncs more or less continuously then one change back wouldn't make much sense. If one operation (from the user's point of view) changes 10 files, that could count as 10 states.

I would hope that "previous" means any previous state for some reasonable amount of time (or maybe since creation of the initial backup.)

I'm assuming "previous" is a concept unique to each file.  If one operation (from the user's point of view) changes 10 files I'm assuming that counts as 1 state change x 10 files, not as 10 state changes.
Creature of habit.

AudioSAFE

Reply #90
Album art is not part of the 500 MB quota.

I will endeavor to put up a T&C and privacy statement ASAP

And when will this be done? I am dying to see your clauses for harvesting user information.
Steam does it, iTunes does it, a lot of other places do it, so I don't see how your "cloud" based service will be any different to be quite honest.

AudioSAFE

Reply #91
AudioSafe beta program has just begun and I've already started uploading my music archive.

My question is that AudioSafe skips valid MP3 files, showing these errors in its log:

Code: [Select]
13:21:12 : Could not process file :
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reason: Unexpected file contents.

Should I upload these "damaged" files somewhere so that you could fix your application?

Upload speed is abysmal: - yep, that's 38KB/sec (~300KBit/sec) upload speed.

AudioSAFE

Reply #92
Feel free to use the uploads forum to upload problematic files, they will; your post will be removed as soon as relevant developers get the files.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

AudioSAFE

Reply #93
In the AudioSAFE Status page >> Tools >> settings - here you set how much bandwidth is allocated to AudioSAFE, normally 50% of your upload. What is your maximum upload speed?

AudioSAFE

Reply #94
Feel free to use the uploads forum to upload problematic files, they will; your post will be removed as soon as relevant developers get the files.

I guess I will upload them secretly and give a link straight to relevant people. Besides files are large enough and probably can't be uploaded to Hydrogenaudio Forums anyway (due to your restrictions/policy/whatever).

AudioSAFE

Reply #95
In the AudioSAFE Status page >> Tools >> settings - here you set how much bandwidth is allocated to AudioSAFE, normally 50% of your upload. What is your maximum upload speed?

10Mbit at the moment, and the the bandwidth slider is at 100%.

AudioSAFE

Reply #96
Upload speed is abysmal: - yep, that's 38KB/sec (~300KBit/sec) upload speed.

~300KBit/sec is a pretty typical upload speed for most broadband connections, unless you've upgraded to a faster (read more expensive) package.
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650