Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Wavpack - what then (Read 4018 times) previous topic - next topic

Wavpack - what then

From what I gather here,  there is no difference in "format" between .CDA and .WAV files, except for the header, being that it conforms to the Redbook standard.  My question is 5 part.

1)  Isn't a .CDA file not truly a file at all but just a "marker" for lack of a better term, that windows recognizes? 

2)  I cannot copy a .CDA file to the hard drive,  so this file is generically termed an "Audio" file?

3)  Is an MP3 file a "Data" file or an audio file (I know it is encoded and compressed,  and do know Lossless vs lossy.......saving a bit of background info to provide)

4)  A WAV file is considered a "data" is it not?

With that said,  and/or corrected,  I am sure..........Final part.

5)  If I am using Wavpack (hybrid) for lossless, then shouldn't I be concerned with sound quality in choosing a Burner software (some conversion needs to take place)?  and what should be used?  Are we going from "Data" to "Audio"??  With the aforementioned taken into consideration.

Thanks in advance

Wavpack - what then

Reply #1
Perhaps the only response is from myself.  I shall try on another informative Audio group.

Wavpack - what then

Reply #2
Here's my uninformed answer:

1) Isn't a .CDA file not truly a file at all but just a "marker" for lack of a better term, that windows recognizes?

A .cda file is how Windows has decided to delimit a chunk of the PCM data on a CD.  A marker is a pretty good way to think of it, though the OS treats it as a file.

2) I cannot copy a .CDA file to the hard drive, so this file is generically termed an "Audio" file?

You can't copy it because it doesn't really exist... A "file" is a "file" no matter what it contains... since a .cda "file" isn't really a "file," you can't perform file-based operations on it like simple block copying.

3) Is an MP3 file a "Data" file or an audio file (I know it is encoded and compressed, and do know Lossless vs lossy.......saving a bit of background info to provide)

An .mp3 file is data, that contains compressed audio.

4) A WAV file is considered a "data" is it not?

Yes, a .wav file is a data file that contains generally PCM data and the header information.

5) If I am using Wavpack (hybrid) for lossless, then shouldn't I be concerned with sound quality in choosing a Burner software (some conversion needs to take place)?

The burning software shouldn't have any effect on the output of the WavPack files.  Unless your burning software supports direct input from .wv files, you'd have to decompress them first... that step would be the conversion, and should be the same for whatever software you choose to use.

and what should be used?

Nero would work if you get Mausau's WavPack plugin... http://neroplugins.cd-rw.org

Are we going from "Data" to "Audio"??

Theoretically, in the burning process, yes.  Since the data is stored on the CD in PCM form, there's no modification of the data, it's just being physically interleaved and stored on the CD itself.

With the aforementioned taken into account, your WavPack files should decode to .wav files, which when burned should be simply the same PCM data stored on the CD with the proper structure.

A note here, though... you say you're using WavPack Hybrid for lossless... unless you have the .wvc correction file, it's not really lossless... just in case ya didn't know. =)

Hope that helps... if anyone wants to correct/clarify for me, feel free. =P

Wavpack - what then

Reply #3
Perhaps the only response is from myself.  I shall try on another informative Audio group.

You waited only 1 hour 20 minutes for a reply, before getting fed-up? Let me tell you, you have damn little patience. The forum doesn't have to entertain snobs like you.

Wavpack - what then

Reply #4
Ariakis -  Thanks for the reply, and for the confirmations.  Very informative, I appreciate it.  I have had some problems in the past with Nero,  but now that I can get a plug in for the wavpack file I will give it another try.  I assume the plug in will take into consideration the "correction" file to burn truely lossless.

Thanks again.