Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speculation: Differences in rips (Read 2233 times) previous topic - next topic

Speculation: Differences in rips

In ECMA 130, the Q-channel is said to have a "copyright" flag.

-Does the Q-channel contain additional timing information?
-Is the Q-channel more "weak" (less error correction codes) than the CIRC?
-Does EAC ignore the copyright flag, and use the additional timing information to reduce jitter?
-Does Plextools respect this flag, causing skewed rips with missing samples?

EDIT: ok, not many takers here. Added:

I have ripped 174 cds with the programs 'EAC' and 'Plextools', and I have found that 23% of the cds had errors, and 17% of the ripped cds have disagreed between the extractions by EAC and those of Plextools (as compared with EAC's "compare wavs" feature).

In order to understand this, and perhaps determine which extraction is correct, I ask for informed opinions, idle speculations (and no, it is NOT the RAM dagnabit!) and analytical...duh...analyses.

I have made the following general observations:

• Sometimes EAC's comparison reports that the plextools-ripped wav miss samples one or more places in the wav. I do not recall having seen any EAC-ripped wavs miss samples compared to any plextools-ripped wavs.

• Visually inspecting the files in 'Cool Edit Pro' shows that the plextools-ripped wav seems to have peaks slightly "trailing after" the positions of the same peaks in the EAC-ripped wavs. Also, the amplitudes (frequencies) for some of the peaks are slightly higher. Some amplitudes may also be slightly lower.

My current speculations as to the possible cause(s) for these discrepancies are:
    1. Timing problems, aka "Jitter". On scratched cds, the timing codes in the Q-subchannel are the "first" to go, right?
    2. Bad stamping of the cds, causing "washed out" lands, for which the...um...something not good be.     
    3. Somebody is probably going to say "Have you checked the RAM?" sooner or later. So let me answer that:

---
    [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']
    Yes, I have checked the RAM.
    However, I have not checked the moisture level, wind speed, temperature, gravity gradient, vibrational stability, purity of the sinusoidal current, chipset, bus stability, CPU load balancing, IO handling throughput, radon density, electromagnetic noise, or dust concentration in my room, nor have I checked the ley lines, the feng shui, the coolness of my rack, the diggability of the posters on my wall, nor whether my Britney Spears cd collection is threatening to plot with the hair in my nose to kill us all.
    But thanks for asking.
    [/span]