Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Queue improvements (Read 8546 times) previous topic - next topic

Queue improvements

Hello,
I'd like to ask you for 2 features in foobar2000 regarding queue.

1) If I doubleclick a file in playlist (ie start playing it) the queue gets erased, but I think it sholdn't. It should continue after finishing playback of the file I double clicked. Could you please change it? Or give it as an option?

2) Please add a possibility to remove files from queue.

Thank you.

Queue improvements

Reply #1
request #1 should be changed in the core - this this is very hard to undo by a component. If someone likes this behaviour, he can easily write a component that does this.

request #2 is rather not concerning the core. The core doesn't provide any queue-features at all except of the queue itself, adding files to the queue and the SDK access to the queue. So any further features should be implemented by component, I guess.
I'm trying to write such a component (similar to winamp's queue manager), but with my lack of C++ and winapi experience this will take some time. All it is able to do at the moment is to erase the queue ;)

Queue improvements

Reply #2
I really would like to see both of the requests implemented... but I really dislike having one little plugin for every little function that exists.
This way we'd end up with *1453* components thus with very high impact at startup time and maybe overall slow performance.

As a side note: I already deleted more than 10 plugins (thus more than 10 functions that were somehow important to me) just because I couldn't stand that horrible 0:08.xxx startup time

Queue improvements

Reply #3
A If your compontens are well-written, you should be able to stay below 0:08 startuptime with 1453 components.
You don't have to delete 10 components to reduce you starttime - there should be 1 or 2 single components which cause this problem.

And queue manager is everything else than a "little plugin for a little function".

Queue improvements

Reply #4
A If your compontens are well-written, you should be able to stay below 0:08 startuptime with 1453 components.
You don't have to delete 10 components to reduce you starttime - there should be 1 or 2 single components which cause this problem.

And queue manager is everything else than a "little plugin for a little function".

You're missing the point in what I'm saying. I think many functions that currently are implemented through plugins (queue, history) should be in foobar itself.

Queue improvements

Reply #5
Foobar should only implement features the majority of users will use. While this is arguable for history, I think the right decision was made for most things foobar does implement / does not implement.

And the queue is part of foobar since 0.9 - there's just no gui access to it except of adding files.

But we should stop arguing about this topic, because that's not the topic of this thread

Queue improvements

Reply #6
@vlada

The only possibility to remove files from queue is Playlist Tree: You have to create a query with @queue as source - then you can remove queued files by right click leaf and "Remove". I created a special panel where only the queue and my default playlist is shown.

@chronial
Although i like this new features in PT wich allows me to watch queue and ColumnsUiplaylist at same time i would prefer a listview like foo_temple was. So i wish you success! 

The most important option in my eyes would be: Update playback position (the normal behavior) or not

Queue improvements

Reply #7
As their name implies, playlists were meant to manage order of played tracks. On top of them, queue was added to quickly jump between different playlist entries without actually editing your playlists, changing playback order settings or using somewhat inconvenient "playback follows cursor" mode.
Now that queue has been added (which is already functionally redundant to what playlists offer), it seems some people expect most of existing playlist functionality to be duplicated there. Why not just use a separate properly editable playlist instead and drop items you want played next there?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Queue improvements

Reply #8
Playlists are just not what you believe them to be. The playlist does not just represent the order in which the songs you are currently listening to are played. Then we wouldn't need the ability to have multiple playlists, or the abilitly to give names to them.
With the creation of a multiple playlist feature, most people (who have enough music to this) tend to use the playlists as some sort of library - a playlist for party, a playlist for chilling, a playlist with jazz, a playlist for reading etc.

Combine this with a queue functionailty and you get something you can not represent with a database+playlist setup (or you do not offer in foobar at the moment):
The ability to sort your songs in a list of random categories, with the ability to have one song in multiple of them and the ability to give your songs an order within these categories.
The ability to have one song (from anywhere) played within one keypres within the next few songs.
The ability to listen to one song right now, without changing any playlist (not even the queue itself) - by double clicking on a song (does not work in foobar right now...)
The ability to keep you music playing at the end of your list of songs you want to hear right now (the queue), maybe even in similar style to the songs you just heard.

"Abusing" playlists as categories is something you cannot stop the people from doing, because it offers quite some functionality hard to represent with a database.

This brings us back to your question: "Why not just use a separate properly editable playlist instead and drop items you want played next there?". That's just what the queue is - except: you can see/edit it while looking at other playlists without problems.
So the queue is kind of a playlist "a level above" the normal playlists. You could add functionality to foobar to have a normal playlist do this. But people won't understand, because a playlist is always a playlist just like every other playlist ^^.

I can't see why don't like the queue after all.

Queue improvements

Reply #9
I am just back from a nice little metal festival in Germany, and the queue turned out to be a nice feature. The scenario: 11 people sitting in uncomfortable camping chairs *g* in a circle and every 15 minutes somebody recognizes a song from the random playlist and shouts "hey, that band rocks, how about the song "insert random brutal metal song here"". So what I did was to assign the space key to "add to queue" and use foo_uie_browser for a nice and easy to understand library view, and everybody there immediately understood how to insert a song into the playlist without having to mess with the current playlist, using the notebook touchpad for things like switching playlists or moving songs around in a playlist (very stressfull for people who never used a notebook before with those touchpads). It was the simple thing of: clicking on the artist name, clicking on the album name, clicking on the track in the playlist, pressing the space button - and voila: the song would come up next without killing my "random worst metal songs of all time" playlist.

Everything worked beautifully, until the following situation came up: somebody accidentaly added a whole album to the playlist. He then immediately tried to select the songs he did not want in the queue and then right-click->remove them, but they couldn't. So he called me over, Mr. praise foobar for everything everytime I can *g*. And for the first time, I had to use a strange workaround by clearing the queue by double-clicking the current song - and I had to hear the worst possible thing: "In winamp ... " *g*.

In short: there are alot of situations where a playlist queue is a great thing to have, and the implementation at the moment is still a bit lacking, at the very least a remove feature would be nice.

Queue improvements

Reply #10
@hotzenplotz

You could use "Flush playbackqueue" for clearing the queue. 

Queue improvements

Reply #11
@hotzenplotz:
My plugin can allready do that - you can even delete songs from the list - I guess I'll realease in a weak (bad thing: It requires .NET)
and:
WACKEN! (sry, for OT ;)

Queue improvements

Reply #12
.net is a good thing and I really await that plugin 
you can even delete songs from the list

that is exactly what I would have needed, since the queue already had some songs lined up and someone just added a whole album to the end.

Queue improvements

Reply #13
what they need is a way to have double click add directly to a "now playing" playlist, a la every other music player except iTunes. (including MMJB, WMP, winamp, etc)

Queue improvements

Reply #14
what they need is a way to have double click add directly to a "now playing" playlist, a la every other music player except iTunes. (including MMJB, WMP, winamp, etc)

I would like to have a panel not only for the queue but also one that mirrors my default playlist wich is filled with the commands of foosions foo_utils: "add to default, add to default and play, send to default, send to default and play,...". I would like the panel just for the reason to have my default playlist always in view.

But that also means that you already have something like a "now playing playlist": If you like call your default playlist "Now Playing". Your next request to send/add tracks by doubleclick would break foobars concept of multiple playlists

Queue improvements

Reply #15
Why not just use a separate properly editable playlist instead and drop items you want played next there?

@hotzenplotz

That can also solve the problem that happened to you. It seems to me that the way you and your friends was listening music didn't need the queue but an usual playlist wich is fully editable and wich is also easy to fill (see my post above).

I would be interested what you are using the queue for. I have four purposes:

1. Jumping from playlist to playlist like Peter mentioned

2. I let my playback jump to a certain track by enqueueing just one track (similar to playback follow cursor)

3. While listening to one playlist wich will be heard to the end (f.e. Party) i add some tracks to queue in that way that after queue playback will be continued in old playlist. (You can reach that by enqueueing only through a media library viewer or by enqueueing as last track an entry of this old playlist)

4. I just like to hear from one playlist a selection of tracks in a certain order.

For other things i use a default playlist. But however: Removing tracks from Queue is nice!

Queue improvements

Reply #17
@Chronial: thanks !

@q-stankovic: If the queue would be a seperate playlist that would be ok. The important thing is, that I have to be able to add songs to it, edit it if something needs editing (removing songs, correcting errors, moving songs around) AND it still hast to be a queue, if I am at position 53 in my normal playlist, then the queue should be played until it ends and then automatically the playlist should resume at position 54.

Queue improvements

Reply #18
As their name implies, playlists were meant to manage order of played tracks. On top of them, queue was added to quickly jump between different playlist entries without actually editing your playlists, changing playback order settings or using somewhat inconvenient "playback follows cursor" mode.
Now that queue has been added (which is already functionally redundant to what playlists offer), it seems some people expect most of existing playlist functionality to be duplicated there. Why not just use a separate properly editable playlist instead and drop items you want played next there?

i have also thought that the quelist was nothing more than a playlist. but where it benifits is if you have a party or something, youre listening to a mixed playlist. but, then someone wants to hear a song, or an album. the queue will force what you want to hear next, then it SHOULD automatically go back to what was going on before. it is perfect for that function. it would be nice to edit the queue, however, if youre going that far, using a new playlist might just be better suited anyway..

Queue improvements

Reply #19
A new playlist still doesn't enable you to jump between playlists.

I guess your request is what I'll add next to my component - a hotkey/context menu entry for adding the song the currently playling playlist - after the currently playling track (had been missing this in foobar for a loooong time ^^)