Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD Cue File: not compatible with VLC? (Read 3585 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD Cue File: not compatible with VLC?

Hi,

I have a question regarding the CUE file created with XLD.

I have created a backup copy of a CD with FLAC compression and CUE file with pre-gap.

But I can't play with VLC.

Why?

I have tried with EAC, and VLC can play the cue file.

There is a incompatibility of CUE created with XLD and VLC?

Reply #1
I can't play [the CUE file created with XLD] with VLC.
Is it a noncompliant cuesheet?*
I have tried with EAC, and VLC can play the cue file.
Is it a compliant cuesheet?

If yes to both, then you have the answer.

Otherwise, there is obviously not enough information for anyone to help. You might have thought to mention which settings you used, which information you chose to include in your cuesheets, etc.; perhaps even to post the two cuesheets for reference (within codebox tags).

* i.e. a cuesheet with a TRACK entry that references more than one audio file, probably for INDEXes 00 and 01

Reply #2
I had tried with:

- INCLUDE PRE-GAP FOR ALL THE TRACKS
- EXCLUDE PRE-GAP FOR ALL THE TRACK
- SAVE AS UNIQUE FILE

But VLC don't open nothing :-(

Reply #3
Just a guess, but it could be EOL, end of line issues. Mac is different than Windows. Open the cue file in notepad. Is it unformated --  a bit of a mess?
Easy way to fix it is with Notepad++. It's a free text editor and it is great.  Edit > EOL Conversion > Windows Format. You could probably do it by hand though.

Reply #4
I doubt he's going to run Notepad or Notepad++ since he's on a Mac. I suggest he use EAC Helper, under 'Edit Cue', with the 'DOS' box checked, and 'Flac' selected for EXT. Then just Choose File, Upload, and Download.

I tested on Windows, and found that not only does VLC require the file have to have CR+LF (DOS style) line breaks, but the file also has to be UTF-8 encoded if it has any non-ASCII characters in it. If it's a noncompliant sheet, playing it in VLC results in the proper info showing in the playlist, but when you actually try to navigate the tracks, it mistakenly assumes the selected track is in the preceding file, which messes up the playlist display and makes it impossible to reach the last track. So it only sort-of works.

You can try filing some bug reports at http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ but basically you are asking for a cue sheet to be used as a playlist, which is not what cue sheets are designed for, so it isn't likely to be a high priority for the developers.

Reply #5
Could it be that the TITLE and PERFORMER lines need to be switched?