Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPC Library Under Linux (Read 8088 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC Library Under Linux

I am migrating to Linux. (Fedora Core2). I am looking for an app to manage my mpc library under Fedora Linux. You know, rename files and folders acording to rules, etc. Does it exist?.  Thanks in advance.

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #1
Can't help you find such an app, but make sure you know about the partition table bug beforehand. 

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #2
I use easytag for all my tagging tasks. It got support for APEv2 tags some time ago.

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #3
I use easytag for all my tagging tasks.

Easytag is very powerful and easy to use. It can do everything I have ever wanted a tagger to do.

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #5
Too bad, you're not migrating to Debian because xmixahlx has a good Debian lossy audio codec software archive at Rarewares.

And I use Debian as well, and I really like it, but I'm no Linux expert.

I would also vote on Debian (or it's "nicer and easier" brother, Libranet) if only because of .deb and apt-get.

An article about why .deb is so much better than Red Hat's .rpm (the guy is admitedly a .deb lover, so feel free to take the article with a grain of salt)

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #6
The following solutions have been suggested:

1. Learn to build your own RPMs.
2. Petition the RPM distributions to adhere to common standards.
3. Use more advanced package management tools, such as urpmi or apt-rpm.
4. Switch to Debian or Slackware.
5. Switch to a source-based Linux distributions, such as Gentoo or Sorcerer.

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #7
SVX rules (combined with Matroska attachement features). Unfortunately noone ever used it, including myself  But I'm sure there's a lot of things left to do in this field. But indeed, Debian packages are almost as good. But the dependencies can be as hell as for RPM.

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #8
Thanks guys. I will take a look at Debian. The easier and the smaller OS is better. Right?. What I would do without you, dudes?.

About Easytag. I get the following error on a amd64 system using i386 Fedora Core2 Final:

[turbo@amd64 turbo]$ su
Password:
[root@amd64 turbo]# rpm -ivh /home/turbo/easytag-0.31-1_fdr1.i386.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
  1:easytag                ########################################### [100%]
[root@amd64 turbo]# easytag
easytag: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libid3-3.8.so.3: undefined symbol: cerr
[root@amd64 turbo]#

Thanks.

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #9
WEEEEE! Dependency hell.

You must install libid3 somehow.

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #10
WEEEEE! Dependency hell.

You must install libid3 somehow.

Roberto, you are evil. Thanks man.

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #11
Roberto, you are evil.

Thank-you very much.

Tell us later if it worked.

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #12
Roberto, you are evil.

Thank-you very much.

Tell us later if it worked.

Yes, it worked. The problem was, that I was installing Easytag for redhat7 (i386),instead of the redhat9 one. My fault. Now, quick question. Do I need an specific library for Easytag to see my mpc files?. I am doing all this, because I would like not to depend on Windows to manage (tag + rename) my mpc files. If I get this, to manage my mpc files, I am FREEEE forever ever. Hiii. Thanks in advance.

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #13
My vote for a Linux system goes out to Debian too.  I'm a newbie as such, but trying something "userfriendly" as Mandrake 10... Well it installs easily... but not much works. Debian is the most working of the Linux based systems... only problem is it's hard to install and it's got a somewhat steep learning curve, but you learn a lot and it's a fantastic system when you learn your way around it....
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #14
I'm a newbie as such, but trying something "userfriendly" as Mandrake 10... Well it installs easily... but not much works.

That is not true this way exactly  But I happily admit it took some tinkering to get everything to work, but if you're not afraid of experimenting, Mandrake will do it well enough for you
Then again, things like MPC _playback_ were not so easy to set up, and I would have used the Debian repository of xmi... if I could. (Sorry xmi..., your name beats me  )
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #15
I use Foobar2000 on Gentoo with Wine. Maybe you can give it a try.
It works very well, it is an audio player for Windows with support for almost all audio formats and a built-in database, tagger with freedb support, file renamer. album list, converter, cd-writing with Nero libs..
It uses a pseudo-scripting langage with tags, so you can customize the display the way you want and is full of plugins.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

For pure library, my fav. is mpeg audio collection, now open-sourced, but still for Windows (yep Wine). Simple and fill my needs.

http://mac.sourceforge.net/

I look at JUK, seems to be a good alternative as soon as it will support more formats.
Maybe Gstreamer can be a good base for building such a tool. Qui vivra, verra.

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #16
Then again, things like MPC _playback_ were not so easy to set up, and I would have used the Debian repository of xmi... if I could. (Sorry xmi..., your name beats me  )

that's ok... i go by "mike" too :0

anyways, much of the software at the RW debian rep can be installed on a rpm system also, since much of it only depends on libc6/ncurses/gcc-3.3 (and these should be readily available with any current system...)

you are out of luck for the xmms plugins tho... but perhaps you can just copy the library (.so) to your directory of choice

oh... i vote for debian too, as would be assumed... (well, actually it's really debian or any source-based system, but portage/emerge seems like a feature worth keeping around...)

later

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #17
Well, then, Mike

I actually managed to compile and install a few things from the collected sourcecodes, but I did not want to suggest this for a "newbie". So your collection is also good for the more-experienced non-Debian Linux-users. Thanks
Life is Real...
(But not in audio :) )

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #18
Use JuK as of KDE 3.3 (will be released later this month). I've added support for musepack natively in KDE, so most things should work out of the box (notice that for APE tags and stuff, you will also need TagLib 1.3).

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #19
I've added support for musepack natively in KDE, so most things should work out of the box (notice that for APE tags and stuff, you will also need TagLib 1.3).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233242"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

how did you add support ? Using some KDE framework ? Doesn't Juk use gstreamer ?
Did you add apev2 tag support in taglib ?

[edit]
Ok, musepack support under taglib 1.3, that's cool. Useful in next xmms/beep plugin versions.
It's a 'Jump to Conclusions Mat'. You see, you have this mat, with different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #20
I've added support for musepack natively in KDE, so most things should work out of the box (notice that for APE tags and stuff, you will also need TagLib 1.3).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233242"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

how did you add support ? Using some KDE framework ? Doesn't Juk use gstreamer ?
Did you add apev2 tag support in taglib ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233720"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've already asked Carewolf via PM and got this very promising response:
The new audio-framework aKodelib, can play musepack natively, and TagLib (the id3lib replacement) can read and write APE-tags natively as of 1.3.

Infact akodelib doesnt really depend on KDE 3.3, and could be compiled and used on KDE 3.x if anyone wanted so.

~ Florian

MPC Library Under Linux

Reply #22
Thanks Carewolf. Juk is so much better than xmms.
And as i expect aKodelib to be widely supported under kde, it's great.

Now we only need this gstreamer plugin, and virtually all music apps under *nix will support musepack.
It's a 'Jump to Conclusions Mat'. You see, you have this mat, with different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.