Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mpc support possible in next-gen 20gb player! (Read 6596 times) previous topic - next topic

mpc support possible in next-gen 20gb player!

Reply #2
Right. IIRC, the PhatNoise Jukebox is based on Linux. And that doesn't mean there are custom build firmwares supporting other formats floating around.

Reply #3
But we nevertheless always have hope!

Reply #4
But we nevertheless always have hope!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=229708"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The problem is that even if their player is Linux based, there is no guarantee that they will expose the functionality of the hardware in their drivers. They may just be using Linux as a cheaper option to the proprietary embedded operating systems out there.

And it's 100% likely that their software and kernel will rely on bought-in proprietary components, so they couldn't release full compilable source code for their binaries, which are usually statically linked, so you couldn't compile your own plugins anyway.

I'd love an MPC playing hard drive based player, and guarantee I would lay out money on one. But it's gonna take a while.

sean

Reply #5
The iPod can run uClinux. Decoding Vorbis on an iPod running uClinux takes about 80% of realtime, with unoptimized Tremor code. Musepack support should be feasible, considering MPC's fast decoding.

Reply #6
The iPod can run uClinux. Decoding Vorbis on an iPod running uClinux takes about 80% of realtime, with unoptimized Tremor code. Musepack support should be feasible, considering MPC's fast decoding.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=231945"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The author already tried, using Peter's decoding library. Wouldn't reach real time either.

I guess that assembly optimization would be imperative in some CPU-consuming parts of the code.

Reply #7
Are you sure he used Peter's code and not the old ARM port?
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #8
Are you sure he used Peter's code and not the old ARM port?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=21490&view=findpost&p=218583]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=218583[/url]

Last paragraph. "another version that had some assembler code" is the old ARM port.