Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: GUI freezes frequently while typing in the main panel (Read 1710 times) previous topic - next topic

GUI freezes frequently while typing in the main panel

Hello, I have a quite large library spanning 3 HD with a total of about 3500 directories.

I am using Foobar 1.2.4 (even if this problem was presente also in 1.2.3 a prior) with its standard library view component.

When I want to quicly reach a given directory, I simply point to the main library view window and I begin to type the name of the wanted directory.

The problem is that 1 out of 3 or 4 times, the Foobar GUI freezes (not responding) and I simply have to wait 1-3 minutes.

If a track is playing, it continues correctly, but when finished, the next track will not start.

Looking foward for a fix.

Kind regards, Andrea

Reply #1
Have you viewed the console (View > Console in the main menu) to see what's happening in these occurrences? Posting its contents might help to pinpoint the cause.

Also, have you noticed whether this happens with one particular HD or not?

Without further information, the culprit could be anything from a complicated sort string to HD issues.

Reply #2
Yes, I verified the Console output, and no error is reported.
It seems like Foobar or Explorer goes into a deadlock for a while.
I noticed that the problem is usully associated with the typing of a common initial name matching many directories name.

I also noticed that something similar happens when writing someting in the Search Filter field.

Regards, Andrea

Reply #3
A shot in the dark, but you could try in Settings -> Advanced -> Tools -> Search Filters.
It changes which tags are searched in the standard library search element (which is what you're using if i understand correctly).
Anyway, reducing the tags it searches might speed things up a bit.

Reply #4
Yes, I verified the Console output, and no error is reported.
It seems like Foobar or Explorer goes into a deadlock for a while.
I noticed that the problem is usully associated with the typing of a common initial name matching many directories name.

I also noticed that something similar happens when writing someting in the Search Filter field.

Regards, Andrea

Are you saying you also have the problem in standard windows?

Two causes I've experienced in your described behavior:

1. do you have a large library?
2. do you use any WSH panels?

I have a library of over 140K tracks and a very basic foobar with minimal components reacts better than any other mp3 player I've tried so far - search is *very* robust.

As I add components and aesthetic items (esp. WSH panels and complicated title formatting filters in my experience), the performance takes a hit. It's a normal balance game.

You also may want to be more specific with your setup if you would like more help.

Reply #5
Yes, the library is large, but I don't know if I am using WSH panels.
I am just using one of the built-in view of Foobar2000.
The component that is making the problem is called "Album List".

Thanks and regards
Andrea