Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Anybody using a Xonar D2X and a receiver? (Read 5045 times) previous topic - next topic

Anybody using a Xonar D2X and a receiver?

I have a D2X.  Recently I bought a Sony STR-DH520 receiver and 5.1 Tannoy speakers.  When I do the calibration test on the receiver I hear all 5 speakers and the Subwoofer.

I can only get the front right and left speakers working in Windows.  I am using Windows 8 with latest drivers for the D2X.  I have connected the D2X to the receiver via S/PDIF out.

I downloaded a 5.1 test audio file from here http://www.lynnemusic.com/surround.html.

When I play the file

Front right sound comes out of the front right speaker
Front left sound comes out of the left speaker
Centre sound comes out of both the left and right front speakers
Rear right sound comes out of the front right speakers
Rear left sound comes out of the front left speakers

Can somebody look at my settings and see if there is anything I need to change please. 

Reply #1
Isn't SPDIF in PCM mode stereo only?  I've never used that sound card, but can you put the SPDIF output to DD?

Reply #2
Isn't SPDIF in PCM mode stereo only?  I've never used that sound card, but can you put the SPDIF output to DD?
If I am not wrong that is correct. Compressed using AC3 and DTS it can transfer 5.1 (and maybe 7.1).

Reply #3
Yep, if you (OP) wanna enable 5.1 audio through SPDIF on the D2X you have to enable either Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive (DTS Connect). This will take the 5.1 channels and encode them into DD or DTS on-the-fly. This is a lossy situation though.

If this is for home theater, I would recommend getting an HDMI graphics card. I'm partial to AMD cards because of the HDMI audio is, in a nutshell, better implemented. If it's for gaming it might work just as well, don't have much experience with it, but I think games are getting away from Creative-only solutions. In any case it wouldn't work well with the D2X either.

I use both an AMD HDMI card, and a Xonar DX for Dolby Headphone use.

Reply #4
For simplicity, DDlive and DTS connect are the only way to get multichannel over spdif, however some people have reported minor lag in games due to the extra processing involved in compressing on the fly. Another option is if your receiver has analog dvd 5.1 inputs to simply use that with three 'y' patch cables connected to the outputs of the sound card. Having run into this myself with my soundblaster Z, I simply dragged out an old receiver to power my rear speakers and connected the rear of the card to that since my main receiver doesn't have analog 5.1 input. No lossy compression, no lag.