Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Most popular/prevalent base encoders? (Read 3157 times) previous topic - next topic

Most popular/prevalent base encoders?

Hi Everyone,

Which 'base' audio encoders are the most popular (or most prevalent) of encoders out in the world?

LAME? Fraunhofer?

Thanks!

Reply #1
Google is the best one for all audio formats.

More seriously: What for? Just MP3? And if so, how are we to measure which is most popular? LAME is thought of as the best among vaguely computer-savvy folk who can configure it--but the bundled encoders are Tunes/QuickTime with Mac OS X, and Fraunhofer with Windows Media Player. If we're talking about popularity alone, I don't know how we'd measure which has most market share.

For AAC, I suppose it would be iTunes/QuickTime and Nero (again, for slightly more technically-minded users). For Vorbis, the official encoder or AoTuV which enhances it with further tunings. I suppose those are the other two lossy formats that really matter if one wants to discuss relative market share.

Reply #2
Google is the best one for all audio formats.

More seriously: What for? Just MP3? And if so, how are we to measure which is most popular? LAME is thought of as the best among vaguely computer-savvy folk who can configure it--but the bundled encoders are Tunes/QuickTime with Mac OS X, and Fraunhofer with Windows Media Player. If we're talking about popularity alone, I don't know how we'd measure which has most market share.

For AAC, I suppose it would be iTunes/QuickTime and Nero (again, for slightly more technically-minded users). For Vorbis, the official encoder or AoTuV which enhances it with further tunings. I suppose those are the other two lossy formats that really matter if one wants to discuss relative market share.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, it is tough to measure exactly which is the most popular/has the most market share, but thats what I'm curious about for MP3, AAC, WAVE, AIFF, ALAC, and HE-AAC.  Googling hasn't really yielded much in terms of which base encoder is most prevalent

Reply #3
LAME seems to be a standard for people who go out of their way to look for an MP3 encoder, and Nero for AAC.  Or at least they're the ones that you see running around a lot in the video encoding realm.  This is due to them both being pretty good and easy to configure for many different software.

Reply #4
First you appeared to be asking about MP3 encoders; now you apparently want to know about all formats? Well, it's fairly obvious that MP3 is the most popular, followed closely by AAC (due to iPod/iTunes)…and then maybe even WMA if people still use Windows Media Player. Other formats (or encoders within, e.g. Nero AAC) may seem popular in communities like this, who are willing to set them up, but I imagine they have a small share of the overall 'market'. Regardless, for lossless, FLAC is almost definitely the most widely-used, though I don't know what to speculate as being second. ALAC, maybe?