Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [ogg Bitrate Display] Calculated Or Written? (Read 2002 times) previous topic - next topic

[ogg Bitrate Display] Calculated Or Written?

hm. i wonder if the bitrates that show on the winamp info and the vorbis extensions are calculated by the programm that reads out the file information or if they are written in the file.

for example i have a compressed file:

Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong (Live Recordings) - 04 - Like Spinning Plates.ogg
encoded with q6

winamp shows a nominal bitrate of 192kbit and an average bitrate of 160kbit.
vorbis extensions shows a average bitrate of 162kbit

what is correct now ?

Reply #1
Sometimes the Nominal bitrate is not accurate. Nominal (iirc) means target bitrate and often I've found when encoding from ubiquitous sources it simply does not need the whole lot, so it uses what it needs.

So in your case, I suggest trusting the average bitrate.

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Reply #2
The average bitrate is probably calculated from FILESIZE / PLAYTIME. PLAYTIME can be read in the last ogg frame. At least one of the programs is calculating the average bitrate incorrectly. A 2kbps difference on a 4 minute track is around 60 kb. Maybe the 162 kbit program is not subtracting tags and ogg frames (don't remember their name exactly).