Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Only first 10 min of MP3 files playing iTunes (Read 1389 times) previous topic - next topic

Only first 10 min of MP3 files playing iTunes

I have an audio book in MP3 format on my PC where I have no problem playing the chapters in full length using any audio player - including iTunes.
After importing the folder into iTunes => Audio books it somehow only plays the first 10 minutes of each chapter before skipping to next chapter.
Have tried to merge the individual files into one, and convert it into MP4 files, but to no avail.

Any good advice?

Re: Only first 10 min of MP3 files playing iTunes

Reply #1
MP3 Diags can repair lots of MP3 problems. 

Have tried to merge the individual files into one, and convert it into MP4 files, but to no avail.
Did you try that with iTunes or something else?  

As along as you have some software to play it, you can re-record it while playing (with Audacity, etc.) and then re-export as MP3 or whatever format you want.   (If you export/save in a lossy format, of course you are going through another generation of lossy compression, but it may be worth it to solve the problems.)

Reply #2
iTunes bug that only appears to punish people who are trying to bring their own content, rather than using Apple's.

You can try muxing your MP3 files into MP4 containers, that may effectively dodge part of it, but there's no telling if that will work.

Reply #3
I'd advice not using iTunes, it's a terrible player, a lot of better alternatives exist.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #4
DVDDoug
Yes I tried merging the files using Aieesoft. Will try the Audacity and let you know if it worked.

kode54 and magicgoose
Any other media player you can recommend? The book can be listened to on iPhone and iPhone only.

Reply #5
The book can be listened to on iPhone and iPhone only.
Maybe it's copy protected and maybe it's not really MP3?

If it's copy protected you can still make an "analog" recording (digital-to-analog-to-digital), but of course you're not supposed to do that..

MediaInfo can tell you if it's MP3.   (In the bottom section it should say: MPEG Audio, Version 1, Layer 3.)

Reply #6
not sure about iOS software, but there was recently an experimental project enabling Android installation on an iDevice. many things don't work yet but IIRC audio output could work. then, on Android there's a good player - foobar2000.

foobar2000 apparently has something for iOS too - https://www.foobar2000.org/get-ios - but I have no idea if it's as good as Android counterpart.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #7
@DVDdoug

I used the MediaInfoOnline and got:

Audio
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Layer 3
Format settings                          : Joint stereo / MS Stereo
Duration                                 : 1 h 7 min
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 64.0 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 22.05 kHz
Frame rate                               : 38.281 FPS (576 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 30.8 MiB (100%)
Writing library                          : LAME3.99r
Encoding settings                        : -m j -V 4 -q 3 -lowpass 11 -b 64

Not sure what that means, but see that Duration is correct