Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Testing audio connectors (XLR) (Read 2631 times) previous topic - next topic

Testing audio connectors (XLR)

I am planning on building an amplifier with XLR connections. To save costs I would like to buy cheap imported connectors, but am aware that the quality may not be good.

To test the quality and whether it will affect the sound, is it simply a matter of measuring the:

1. Resistance across the connector and confirming that it is close to zero/not measurable?
2. Connecting two cables to it, one on either side and confirming zero/not measurable resistance from one end of the cable to the other end?

For reference the cheap connectors are from ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5pcs-XLR-3pin-Metal-Female-Jack-Panel-Mount-Chassis-PCB-Socket-Connector-Silver-/252004428097?hash=item3aaca26941:g:pZ8AAOSwaB5XjRyo

Re: Testing audio connectors (XLR)

Reply #1
From 50+ years of experience with many different makes of XLR connectors:  I think you will be hard-put to measure any significant electrical differences and even more hard put to hear any true differences between new connectors of any reasonable make.  Most of us chose XLRs based on ease of assembly, durability, quality of cable strain relief, potential lifetime and such, not audio quality.  Another issue that has appeared from time to time is non-interchangeability due to poor manufacturing mechanical tolerances. 

Is saving a few bucks on connectors that are not that expensive to begin with being penny smart, pound foolish?

Reply #2
1. Resistance across the connector and confirming that it is close to zero/not measurable?
2. Connecting two cables to it, one on either side and confirming zero/not measurable resistance from one end of the cable to the other end?
In theory, measuring the resistance would be a good check.   But in reality, when connectors go bad they often get flaky/intermittent and your meter might not catch the problems.     

You can get (or build) a cable tester with an LED, and it's easier to see an LED blinking.   Or, you could test it by running audio through it.

Reply #3
I agree with schmidj's post. Going for the cheap chinese stuff is risky (not to mention shipping can easily take two months).
If you really must go cheap i advise you to use a site like aliexpress, at least there there are user reviews and you can get some idea of how good the product is.

Reply #4
In theory, measuring the resistance would be a good check.   But in reality, when connectors go bad they often get flaky/intermittent and your meter might not catch the problems.     

You can get (or build) a cable tester with an LED, and it's easier to see an LED blinking.   Or, you could test it by running audio through it.

Agree with DVDoug - the most common problems with too-cheap connectors is that they are harder to install (in some cases) and don't last as long particularly when they are abused (in some cases).

In other cases, the cheap clones can be just about as good, install as easily, and take tons of abuse. Or not. But without a known brand and dealer behind it, you are on your own. Caveat emptor. 

In the US the pricing structure is a bit different then it seems in Australia, and the good ones only cost about twice as much as a good cheap one.

I find that cable testers (e.g. Behringer's) and Neutrik connectors cost so little  that it is worth it to just break down and spend a few bucks. 

To test a connector right you have to manhandle it after installation or for fault diagnosis, so a robust cable tester is very important. 

I'd have the tester even if only to check work I did with top quality parts. Very few people have installed as many connectors as I (I started installing RCA's and XLR's at the age of 13, so that makes 57 years or experience.) so don't try to tell yourself that you don't need one because you know what you are doing.

If you know what you are doing, you'll have a good cable tester, and a good temperature controlled soldering iron.  That will make a mess out of about $50, but you have the rest of your life before you, right?

Reply #5
Thanks for the replies!