Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack files not recognized by FoorBar  (Read 10142 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack files not recognized by FoorBar

I have several thousand songs (about 1200 CDs worth) ripped using EAC and WavPack.

My compression options for wavpack are: -h -w "Artist=%artist%" -w "Title=%title%" -w "Album=%albumtitle%" -w "Year=%year%" -w "Track=%tracknr%" -w "Genre=%genre%" %source% %dest%

About 600 of my WavPack files (from about 60 different CDs) give an error in FooBar. See sample below.  What could be the reason?  Why only some files?

File:
G:\wav\Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers\Moanin'\01 Warm-Up and Dialogue Between Lee and Rudy.wv
Unsupported format or corrupted file
Time occurred:
2020-10-06 13:38:58

The text file from EAC shows that the CD ripped ok (see below)

Exact Audio Copy V1.5 from 20. February 2020
EAC extraction logfile from 30. September 2020, 12:27
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers / Moanin'
Used drive  : MOSER   BAER DH-20A3S   Adapter: 1  ID: 0
Read mode               : Secure
Utilize accurate stream : Yes
Defeat audio cache      : No
Make use of C2 pointers : Yes

Read offset correction                      : 6
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out          : No
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks   : No
Null samples used in CRC calculations       : Yes
Used interface                              : Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000
Gap handling                                : Not detected, thus appended to previous track

Used output format              : User Defined Encoder
Selected bitrate                : 768 kBit/s
Quality                         : High
Add ID3 tag                     : Yes
Command line compressor         : D:\wavpack 5\wavpack.exe
Additional command line options : -h -w "Artist=%artist%" -w "Title=%title%" -w "Album=%albumtitle%" -w "Year=%year%" -w "Track=%tracknr%" -w "Genre=%genre%" %source% %dest%

TOC of the extracted CD
     Track |   Start  |  Length  | Start sector | End sector
    ---------------------------------------------------------
        1  |  0:00.00 |  0:35.65 |         0    |     2689  
        2  |  0:35.65 |  9:35.10 |      2690    |    45824  
        3  | 10:11.00 |  4:50.42 |     45825    |    67616  
        4  | 15:01.42 |  6:12.21 |     67617    |    95537  
        5  | 21:13.63 |  7:33.47 |     95538    |   129559  
        6  | 28:47.35 |  6:17.07 |    129560    |   157841  
        7  | 35:04.42 |  5:49.31 |    157842    |   184047  
        8  | 40:53.73 |  9:19.11 |    184048    |   225983  

Track  1
     Filename G:\WAV\Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers\Moanin'\01 Warm-Up and Dialogue Between Lee and Rudy.wav

Peak level 97.5 %
     Extraction speed 10.4 X
     Track quality 100.0 %
     Test CRC DE74E1A0
     Copy CRC DE74E1A0
     Accurately ripped (confidence 10)  [FCD8C407]  (AR v2)
     Copy OK

Re: WavPack files not recognized by FoorBar

Reply #1
Your files could be corrupted. Check the example track on command prompt with command wvunpack -v "G:\wav\Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers\Moanin'\01 Warm-Up and Dialogue Between Lee and Rudy.wv".

Reply #2
I was trying to get a layout that showed all albums art (like iTunes does) and added some components to FooBar recently but I am not sure if these errors existed before I added these components.

Are there any known components that could cause this issue? If so, why with only some of my files?

Reply #3
Your files could be corrupted. Check the example track on command prompt with command wvunpack -v "G:\wav\Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers\Moanin'\01 Warm-Up and Dialogue Between Lee and Rudy.wv".

Thanks. Let me try this.

I have WavPack 5.3 and the error I got was "not compatible with this version of Wavpack file"

Reply #4
I assume when you try that same "wvunpack" command on a good file then you get something else (like verified okay)?

One thing I see in your EAC log is "Add ID3 tag" is "yes". If that's a ID3v1 tag at the end then all is fine, but if EAC attempted to put an ID3v2 tag at the beginning of the file, that would be bad. I don't know enough about EAC tagging to know if that's something it does.

Would there be some way to get me one of these failing files?

-David

Reply #5

I deleted one these 60 odd albums and tried ripping it fresh and got the same error. This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the way I am ripping.

Reply #6
I assume when you try that same "wvunpack" command on a good file then you get something else (like verified okay)?

One thing I see in your EAC log is "Add ID3 tag" is "yes". If that's a ID3v1 tag at the end then all is fine, but if EAC attempted to put an ID3v2 tag at the beginning of the file, that would be bad. I don't know enough about EAC tagging to know if that's something it does.

Would there be some way to get me one of these failing files?

-David

I tried it on one of the other albums I ripped around the same period and it verified fine.

In my EAC settings I had
"Write ID3 V1 tags" unchecked
"Write ID3 V2 tags" checked with a padding of 4KB
"Add Cover Image to ID3 V2 tag" checked
"Write Cover Image to extraction folder" checked

Reply #7
Is there some size limitation for Album Art? I think the files that are giving an error have big album art.

I checked 3 CDs (the Art Blakely one) as well as David Bowie's Diamond Dogs and Earth Wind & Fire's Let's Groove and all 3 had very big album art (around 4000KB). CTDB could not find smaller album art for some of my CDs.

I tried to add a "--allow-huge-tags" to my compression options but that did not help.

I ripped 2 songs from the same CD, 1 without album art (4000KB) and 1 with. And the one without album art played in foobar but the one with did not.

Reply #8
I googled some and find that --allow-huge-tags should work. My current compression options are: -h -w "Artist=%artist%" -w "Title=%title%" -w "Album=%albumtitle%" -w "Year=%year%" -w "Track=%tracknr%" -w "Genre=%genre%" %source% %dest%

Where do I add "--allow-huge-tags" in this command line? I tried adding it before "Artist=....." but it did not work.

CTBD often cannot find artwork less than 1MB for my CDs. Not all are as big as 4MB but many are 1.2-1.6MB and since hard disk space is cheap I can easily store this extra data.

--allow-huge-tags has worked for some members (see link below)
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=107698.25

Should I replace my command line with this one? (taken from HA-User link below).
-w "Artist=%artist%" -w "Title=%title%"   -w "Album=%albumtitle%" -w "Year=%year%" -w "Track=%tracknr%/%numtracks%" -w "Album Artist=%albumartist%"  -w "Disc=%cdnumber%/%totalcds%" -w "Genre=%genre%" -w "Composer=%composer%" -w "Performer=%albuminterpret%"  %hascover%--write-binary-tag "Cover Art (Front)=@%coverfile%"%hascover% --allow-huge-tags  -hh %source% %dest%
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=119439.0

Reply #9
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_WavPack
Is there a reason for adding both APEv2 and ID3 tags?
Was the only reason for ID3 tags to add cover art?
Try removing the Add ID3 tag option and adding the cover art using the APEv2 tags.
%hascover%--write-binary-tag "Cover Art (Front)=@%coverfile%"%hascover%
for large art you can add --allow-huge-tags

Code: [Select]
-h -w "Artist=%artist%" -w "Title=%title%" -w "Album=%albumtitle%" -w "Year=%year%" -w "Track=%tracknr%" -w "Genre=%genre%" %hascover%--write-binary-tag "Cover Art (Front)=@%coverfile%"%hascover% --allow-huge-tags %source% %dest%
korth

Reply #10
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_WavPack
Try removing the Add ID3 tag option and adding the cover art using the APEv2 tags.

-h -w "Artist=%artist%" -w "Title=%title%" -w "Album=%albumtitle%" -w "Year=%year%" -w "Track=%tracknr%" -w "Genre=%genre%" %hascover%--write-binary-tag "Cover Art (Front)=@%coverfile%"%hascover% --allow-huge-tags %source% %dest%

I was using EAC to simultaneously rip WavPack and MP3 (LAME) files. I assumed the "Add ID3 tag" option would be needed for the MP3 files.

Reply #11

1. I assumed you needed both the ID3 tag as well as APEv2
2. I thought ID3 tags would cover all Metadata as well as Cover Art.
3. Will this command line work for all mot CDs even those where CTDB can find cover art that is less than 1MB?  I normally like to use the largest cover art CTDB finds as hard disk space has become quite cheap now.

Reply #12
I was using EAC to simultaneously rip WavPack and MP3 (LAME) files. I assumed the "Add ID3 tag" option would be needed for the MP3 files.
You would only need to tick Add ID3 tag on the External Compression tab that has the MP3 encoder settings.
korth

Reply #13
1. I assumed you needed both the ID3 tag as well as APEv2
2. I thought ID3 tags would cover all Metadata as well as Cover Art.
http://www.wavpack.com/WavPack5FileFormat.pdf
These tags are not to be confused with the metadata sub-blocks described above but are specialized tags
for storing user data on many formats of audio files. The tags recommended for use with WavPack files
(and the ones that the WavPack supplied plugins and programs will work with) are ID3v1 and APEv2.
The ID3v1 tags are somewhat primitive and limited, but are supported for legacy purposes. The more
recommended tagging format is APEv2 because of its rich functionality and broad software support
(it
is also used on Monkey's Audio and Musepack files). Both the APEv2 tags and/or ID3v1 tags must
come at the end of the WavPack file
, with the ID3v1 coming last if both are present. For the APEv2 tags, the following field names are officially supported and recommended by WavPack
(although there are no restrictions on what field names may be used):
Artist
Title
Album
Track
Year
Genre
Comment
Cuesheet (note: may include replay gain info as remarks)
Encoder (note: can be automatically generated in ver 5.0+)
Settings (note: can be automatically generated in ver 5.0+)
Replaygain_Track_Gain
Replaygain_Track_Peak
Replaygain_Album_Gain
Replaygain_Album_Peak
Cover Art (Front)
Cover Art (Back)
Log

@bryant
The 'Add ID3 tag' option in EAC doesn't add ID3v2 and cover art at the end of the WavPack file (they're at the beginning).

3. Will this command line work for all mot CDs even those where CTDB can find cover art that is less than 1MB?  I normally like to use the largest cover art CTDB finds as hard disk space has become quite cheap now.
It should.
korth

Reply #14
http://www.wavpack.com/WavPack5FileFormat.pdf

The tags recommended for use with WavPack files (and the ones that the WavPack supplied plugins and programs will work with) are ID3v1 and APEv2.  The more recommended tagging format is APEv2 because of its rich functionality and broad software support (it is also used on Monkey's Audio and Musepack files). Both the APEv2 tags and/or ID3v1 tags must
come at the end of the WavPack file
, with the ID3v1 coming last if both are present. For the APEv2 tags, the following field names are officially supported and recommended by WavPack

@bryant
The 'Add ID3 tag' option in EAC doesn't add ID3v2 and cover art at the end of the WavPack file (they're at the beginning).

It should.

Thanks. I ripped 3-4 CDs today with 4MB of cover art and they worked fine. I will re-rip all the other 60 odd CDs on Friday or Monday.

Next step is to set up Foobar to show all the album covers like iTunes does. Do you know a good place to find out how do to do this? I assume someone must have felt the need to do this before me and worked on it.

Reply #15
I just did some experiments with EAC and ID3 tags. When I check “add ID3” and  select both ID3v1 and ID3v2, EAC does put on both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. The ID3v1 tag goes at the end and the ID3v2 goes at the beginning, which is proper for ID3 tags.

However, having an ID3v2 tag on a WavPack file is wrong, especially at the beginning of the file!

If the tag is less than 1MB then WavPack will ignore it because it searches for up to 1 MB looking for a valid WavPack block, but if the tag is over 1 MB then WavPack will give up. That's why you got the “not compatible” error (your artwork was over 1MB on those files). I duplicated all this behavior here.

I also checked Foobar, and it ignores these ID3v2 tags too (as it should), so if the artwork is not duplicated in the APEv2 tag then it's not going to be seen by Foobar. I did notice that some programs will find those erroneous ID3 tags though, unfortunately.

As for the old-style ID3v1 tags at the end of the file, these are not really needed unless you have some very old software that needs them, and they're bad tags with truncated fields and poor international support. If there's a regular APEv2 tag on the WavPack file, WavPack will ignore the ID3v1 tag at the end.

So I would say that you should definitely uncheck the "Add ID3" box from the WavPack configuration and store the album art in the APEv2 tag using the command above (with --write-binary-tag, etc).

I also experimented with eliminating the ID3v2 tag from the beginning of all the WavPack files in a folder without re-ripping them. The WavPack command line works for this and copies the APE tags. Of course, it will only work if the ID3 tags are less than 1 MB, and if there's artwork that's only in the erroneous ID3v2 tag then you'll lose it (but it's not really accessible anyway):

wavpack -yh *.wv

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with this, but I hope this info helps and fully explains what you've been seeing.

-David

Reply #16
I just did some experiments with EAC and ID3 tags.
That's why you got the “not compatible” error (your artwork was over 1MB on those files). I duplicated all this behavior here.
As for the old-style ID3v1 tags at the end of the file, these are not really needed unless you have some very old software that needs them,

So I would say that you should definitely uncheck the "Add ID3" box from the WavPack configuration and store the album art in the APEv2 tag using the command above (with --write-binary-tag, etc).

I also experimented with eliminating the ID3v2 tag from the beginning of all the WavPack files in a folder without re-ripping them. The WavPack command line works for this and copies the APE tags.

wavpack -yh *.wv

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with this, but I hope this info helps and fully explains what you've been seeing.
-David

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Are you the same (famous) "David Byrant" whose name pops up when EAC pops up a screen for the WavPack Encoder? Wow! I am honoured.  Sir, I have been using WavPack since 2005 with EAC 0.95! I chose it over FLAC and some other lossless formats because to a novice like me I thought it was making a "packed WAV file" that any media reader that can read WAV files should be able to read. Boy was I wrong.

I don't have any old software so I guess I wont need the ID3V1 tags. I am currently using FooBar on a PC to read my WavPack files. This is for my desktop at the office. However I am unable to go to the office regularly now as due to my age and health I fall in the high risk group for Covid-19 so I have to limit my exposure and only go when necessary.

For my home stereo I had a PC based media player someone made for me using OpenElec and Kodi but that died. I intend to buy a new media player that uses an ARM processor and Android to connect to my home system. I assume WavPack will work on this new media player. Anything I should ask for to ensure that WavPack files will be read?

I am also looking for some smaller transportable media players (one for my bedside table and one for the car) that can read WavPack files. Aune makes the X5s (see link below) but I am not sure if it will read WavPack.  FiiO also makes some players like the M3 Pro and M6 that can be used to connect to a car audio system .Again I am not sure of these will read WavPack files.
https://www.aune-store.com/de/aune-x5s-6th-bluetooth-edition-p8535/
https://www.fiio.co.in/collections/music-players/products/fiio-m3-pro-touchscreen-portable-hi-res-lossless-music-player
https://www.fiio.co.in/collections/music-players/products/fiio-m6-portable-lossless-music-player

My alternate options would be to resort to MP3 files or convert all my files from WavPack to FLAC which everyone seems to use.

As far as ID3 tags (V1 or V2) are concerned are these the areas where the Metadata is stored?  I am happy with Metadata that has the Artist name, Album name and Song name as well as the Cover Art.  Lyrics would be nice but then one would need a media player with a big enough screen to read lyrics on (like an iPad).

I understand that if I use the code below on the WavPack files that are giving me an error, Foobar will be able to read them however there will to be any Cover Art.  Could I then use FooBar to manually add cover art to each of these albums?
wavpack -yh *.wv

Reply #17
I am sorry for giving you guys so much trouble. This technology stuff stumps me.

Reply #18
Are you the same (famous) "David Byrant" whose name pops up when EAC pops up a screen for the WavPack Encoder? Wow! I am honoured.  Sir, I have been using WavPack since 2005 with EAC 0.95! I chose it over FLAC and some other lossless formats because to a novice like me I thought it was making a "packed WAV file" that any media reader that can read WAV files should be able to read. Boy was I wrong.
Wow, a 15-year user, thanks! Yes, I am the developer of WavPack, but I am definitely not famous.

I don't have any old software so I guess I wont need the ID3V1 tags. I am currently using FooBar on a PC to read my WavPack files. This is for my desktop at the office. However I am unable to go to the office regularly now as due to my age and health I fall in the high risk group for Covid-19 so I have to limit my exposure and only go when necessary.
Well, stay safe! I am getting up there too, age-wise, and have been a little nervous about COVID also, especially since my wife is a nurse.

For my home stereo I had a PC based media player someone made for me using OpenElec and Kodi but that died. I intend to buy a new media player that uses an ARM processor and Android to connect to my home system. I assume WavPack will work on this new media player. Anything I should ask for to ensure that WavPack files will be read?
A lot of software for Android supports WavPack (like obviously Foobar) but not everything. You'd have to check with the software you want to use (or chose the software based on WavPack support).

I am also looking for some smaller transportable media players (one for my bedside table and one for the car) that can read WavPack files. Aune makes the X5s (see link below) but I am not sure if it will read WavPack.  FiiO also makes some players like the M3 Pro and M6 that can be used to connect to a car audio system .Again I am not sure of these will read WavPack files.
https://www.aune-store.com/de/aune-x5s-6th-bluetooth-edition-p8535/
https://www.fiio.co.in/collections/music-players/products/fiio-m3-pro-touchscreen-portable-hi-res-lossless-music-player
https://www.fiio.co.in/collections/music-players/products/fiio-m6-portable-lossless-music-player
Support on portable players is less common. I discuss some of them that I've used here. You can always ask that WavPack support be added (it sounds better coming from a user than the developer). Otherwise you can always convert tracks to a lossy (or lossless) format that the player does support. That's what I do for my car audio players.

My alternate options would be to resort to MP3 files or convert all my files from WavPack to FLAC which everyone seems to use.
One of the advantages of lossless is that yes, you can convert from one format to another without losing any quality. Of course, there's always risk that metadata will get messed up so you have to be a little careful, but it's doable. And FLAC has a lot more support of course, except maybe on this forum.  :)

As far as ID3 tags (V1 or V2) are concerned are these the areas where the Metadata is stored?  I am happy with Metadata that has the Artist name, Album name and Song name as well as the Cover Art.  Lyrics would be nice but then one would need a media player with a big enough screen to read lyrics on (like an iPad).
ID3 is a format for storing metadata originally designed for MP3 files (which had no native metadata support) but are now used on some other file formats. However, other file types have different formats for storing metadata, generally because ID3 is so bad, unfortunately. And they all have idiosyncrasies and somewhat incompatible and confusing field names, but most software does a good job of hiding all that mess from you. In any event, WavPack uses a tagging format called APE tags which were originally created by Matt Ashland (who created Monkey's Audio, another lossless audio format) and those go at the end of WavPack files.

I understand that if I use the code below on the WavPack files that are giving me an error, Foobar will be able to read them however there will to be any Cover Art.  Could I then use FooBar to manually add cover art to each of these albums?
wavpack -yh *.wv
So a couple things. First, this command will only work with the files that Foobar plays correctly. On the bad files this command will fail (although it won't hurt anything) and those files really should be re-ripped.

Second, the purpose of this is to remove the erroneous ID3v2 tag that's at the beginning of the files while leaving the APEv2 tag at the end. If the artwork is only in the ID3 tag then you'll lose it, but it's not really accessible anyway, and Foobar will act exactly the same.

And there's no reason you can't add the artwork with Foobar.

Good luck!

Reply #19
Yes, I am the developer of WavPack, but I am definitely not famous.

Well, stay safe! I am getting up there too, age-wise, and have been a little nervous about COVID also, especially since my wife is a nurse.

A lot of software for Android supports WavPack (like obviously Foobar) but not everything. You'd have to check with the software you want to use (or chose the software based on WavPack support).

Support on portable players is less common. I discuss some of them that I've used here. You can always ask that WavPack support be added (it sounds better coming from a user than the developer). Otherwise you can always convert tracks to a lossy (or lossless) format that the player does support. That's what I do for my car audio players.

ID3 is a format for storing metadata originally designed for MP3 files...In any event, WavPack uses a tagging format called APE tags which were originally created by Matt Ashland (who created Monkey's Audio, another lossless audio format) and those go at the end of WavPack files.

So a couple things. First, this command will only work with the files that Foobar plays correctly. On the bad files this command will fail (although it won't hurt anything) and those files really should be re-ripped.

Second, the purpose of this is to remove the erroneous ID3v2 tag that's at the beginning of the files while leaving the APEv2 tag at the end. If the artwork is only in the ID3 tag then you'll lose it, but it's not really accessible anyway, and Foobar will act exactly the same.

You are too modest. You are more famous than you think you are.

Please thank your wife for all of us. Medical staff have had the toughest time. I have several classmates who are doctors and a couple of them did get infected while serving. Fortunately all of them survived. I did loose one classmate (not a doctor) although the rest of his family including his 91 year old mother survived.

I have written to FiiO already as a customer. The rationale I have offered is that unlike FLAC, WavPack offers support for DSD files.

So I have to do a 2 step process.
1. First re-rip all the files that had issues with large image sizes (today I found one CD - David Sandborn's Voyeur - that had an image file that was 19MB) using the new script Korth suggested.

2. After re-ripping all my files so that they are all read properly by FooBar run wavpack -yh *.wv on the entire wavpack folder and clean the whole folder of ID3v2 tags. If after this process some cover art goes missing, add it back using Foobar and Album Art Downloader.

Thank you again for all the help and guidance.  Stay safe.

Reply #20

Is there a size limit to the image I can add in Foobar? I ask because for at least 2 CDs I cannot find an image smaller than 16MB.

Reply #21

Is there a size limit to the image I can add in Foobar? I ask because for at least 2 CDs I cannot find an image smaller than 16MB.
I just tried and had no problem adding a 8.4 MB image, which actually surprised me a little. I think WavPack imposes a 16 MB limit so you certainly don't want to go beyond that.

However, there are several good reasons, IMHO, for keeping way below that. First of all it's weird to me to have the album art to even start to compare to the size of the audio, especially when they are duplicated verbatim on every track.

But beyond that there are practical issues that can come up, especially on portable players which may refuse to display large images (my Ford car player does this) or they may interrupt or pause the audio while decoding or scaling the image. Certainly something to keep in mind.

Personally, I find no need for anything beyond about 250 KB and 500x500 pixels. That looks fine anywhere, at least to me. It might make sense to have a high-resolution image archived somewhere, but they certainly don't belong on every track (at least for me).

If I can't find an appropriate image on Amazon (I just download from there, or get the image from Spotify) then I'll use a photo editor (I prefer Gimp, which is free) to scale it to what I want.

Reply #22
However, there are several good reasons, IMHO, for keeping way below that. First of all it's weird to me to have the album art to even start to compare to the size of the audio, especially when they are duplicated verbatim on every track.

Personally, I find no need for anything beyond about 250 KB and 500x500 pixels.

If I can't find an appropriate image on Amazon (I just download from there, or get the image from Spotify) then I'll use a photo editor (I prefer Gimp, which is free) to scale it to what I want.

Using Gimp is an excellent idea. Especially for the 2 CDs where the art work exceeded 16MB.

I absolutely get your point of having art work that is larger than the music file itself.

For my CDs I am happy if the artwork in the range between 200 KB and 1MB.  In Album Art Downloader I set the limit at 800 x 800 because as screens get bigger, better artwork will be more fun to see.  I have only about 60 CD where the artwork exceeds 1MB (for all but 2, it is below 4MB).

Reply #23
How about keeping the big artwork as a file in the folder. And make the artwork for the tags a lot smaller?

Reply #24
How about keeping the big artwork as a file in the folder. And make the artwork for the tags a lot smaller?

That's exactly what I intend to use GIMP for. Make a smaller copy of the bigger file.